1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating Harmony Remotes - problems with Win XP security

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by theo cupier, Feb 12, 2005.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I recently bought a Harmony 655 remote from a fellow forummer (Hi Chris!) and have been looking forward to using it, but I can't get the profile on the Harmony web site to update my handset. Every time I download the update file I get an error saying 'invalid configuration file' and telling me to save the file to the desktop, rather than open it. This would be fine, if I ever got the option to save, rather than open. This is kind of odd, since I've been able to download the remote tutor and connectivity files to my desktop on a previous attempt.

Anyway, I wrote to Harmony Customer Support about it and they replied:

The fact that Harmony remotes can't be used through many common settings of Windows (Windows firewall or NIS) strikes me as a real bug in their process. I've tried disabling NIS immediately before the download and it didn't help.

The remote looks like a great product, but there is NO WAY I am uninstalling my Norton Internet Security and spending upwards of an hour re-installing and updating it every time I update my handset. Also, since I do connect to the internet via a Belkin wireless hub, I have no interest in completely destroying or re-engineering my home LAN just to do this...

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, have you found a way around it that does not involve leaving your XP PC vulnerable to attack and/or required lengthy re-installation of vital software after each Harmony update?

Equally, does anyone know if Harmony are intending to remove this undocumented feature via an upgrade to the update software any time soon?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Theo

2. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    and there was I thinking of buying one of these Harmony's when they get to Singapore - with XP and Norton both resident softwares, as well as the homw being setup on a wireless network, guess that's just scuppered the chances for Logitech to get my readies. I'll stick to my humble old Sony RN2000....

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Hmmm, well somehow I've managed to update the remote. I did disable NIS whilst I was doing it but didn't have to do much else.

I can't really say why it's now working but I tried a few 'test' options on the Harmony web site and it reinstalled my Harmony device manager in Windows and then decided that the firmware on the handset needed upgrading. After asking me to empty my browser cache it appears to have worked fine.

Deep joy.

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Theo Cupier, this is a problem with your computer setup and the behaviour of NIS rather than the Harmony site.

The Windows firewall is not very good anyway and you should use one of the free ones available (such as Kerio, Sygate, Zonealarm).

The SP2 update can cause problems with lots of applications and is a bit of a mixed blessing.

I steer clear of Norton products if possible, because while they do the job well, they are too invasive and tend to cause conflicts with other software in my experience. If you have one of the above firewalls (which are better than the one in NIS imo) and a good antivirus (such as Trend PcCillin, Kaspersky, Panda, Eset Nod32 etc) along with the spyware programs (such as Spybot S & D, Adaware etc) you will be as well protected but with none of the conflicts.

If you want any advice PM me.