Updating from CRT to ?

Padrick

Standard Member
I am going to upgrade my perfectly OK panasonic 28 " CRT, but do I go for LCD or Plasma. I have a budget of £500- £600 and cannot decide between 32" - 42". I had taken a fancy to an LG 32LH 3000 with 1080P. How importent is the 1080P? Can someone please advise.:lease:

tvbox

Distinguished Member
You really don't need 1080p at 32":smashin:
You could try a Panasonic TX-P42X10B if it fits into your room. That's around £650 Plasma. I've got it to replace my CRT and i'm glad i didn't get a LCD.
What are you going to be watching?

tvbox

Distinguished Member
I may try to look at 37" or 42" as my lounge is big enough, what is 1080p for?
It's just a higher resolution, you don't have to worry about it unless you watch Blu ray or HD stuff, but HD ready ie 720p is still good enough.

HD ready (not F HD) will give a better standard definition (i.e. freeview, Normal Sky, DVDs etc) picture.

Also the difference between 720p and 1080p IMO cannot be seen much on a 42" set, it's more noticable on 46,50" TVs.

What do you watch mostly? (ie Freeview, Sky, Blu ray etc):confused::boring:

sonysean

I shall say get a Plasma aswell, you wont be dissapointed.
Have had 2 LCD's in the past, recently upgraded to a 42" Samsung Plasma and the picture quality is much better IMO.

The Plasma i now have is a Samsung PS42B451.
Got it for £650 a week ago :thumbsup:

Its not 1080p, only HD Ready, however Blu-ray, normal DVDs, Games and even normal Sky telly looks great on it.

Padrick

Standard Member
I will be watching freesat + via a Humax 320Gb PVR, films & DVD's & photo slideshows + normal tv channels -- NO games.

tvbox

Distinguished Member
I will be watching freesat + via a Humax 320Gb PVR, films & DVD's & photo slideshows + normal tv channels -- NO games.
OK. I have a Pana TX-P42X10B and watching stuff like you and it looks very good. It has a SD card slot so you can view your photos direct from the card instead of getting the camera out:rotfl:
The built in freeview is good, and does your Humax support HDMI? If so then get a HDMI cable for even clearer images, but stuff through the normal scart is excellent, as long as you get some decent gold plated cables:smashin::lesson:

Padrick

Standard Member
Thanks for that, I have looked in Curry's & the are £649, the same as Richer sounds, the 5 year warranty with Richer sound is more appealing though ! We will see.:thumbsup:

tvbox

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that, I have looked in Curry's & the are £649, the same as Richer sounds, the 5 year warranty with Richer sound is more appealing though ! We will see.:thumbsup:
You have to pay extra for RS' warranty, remember, and also their instore price is usually more expensive:(
JL's warranty is Free, and there are other retailers offering that too:smashin:
Sound and vision is another one, but i bought from JL because people said on here it was the best service:cool:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
as long as you get some decent gold plated cables:smashin::lesson:

Not this old chestnut again :rolleyes:
A decent fully wired individually screened scart lead can be got for around a fiver...gold-plated cables aren't needed and make no discernable improvement to the signal.

tvbox

Distinguished Member
A decent fully wired individually screened scart lead can be got for around a fiver...gold-plated cables aren't needed and make no discernable improvement to the signal.
But when you buy one of those screened cables, like what i have done, you automatically (well at least 98% of the time) get a gold plated plug too.:rotfl: So i just tried to keep the message short and say gold plated also means screened etc:D

Richer Sounds

AVForums Sponsor
You have to pay extra for RS' warranty, remember, and also their instore price is usually more expensive:(

Hi tvbox,

I saw your comments re our pricing I am pleased to confirm that we are happy to honour all of our web prices in store.

Many thanks,

John Clayton

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom