Answered Updating for a new home - which in-walls?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by drrobinson, Jul 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. drrobinson

drrobinson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Context:
    I've been running my 5.1 system for 12 years and have been very happy with it, but we have moved to a new home and I have to change my speaker configuration. My primary use is streaming or UHD movies. Room is

My old Rotel has to be replaced so I can play the new formats and start playing with Atmos. I've decided to go for a 5.1.2 driven by a Denon 2400H and Sony X800.

I want to keep my mains which are B&W Floor Standers DM603 S3 and my Martin Logan Sub.
    My Surrounds and Center have to go in-wall now as do the Atmos

Questions:
    I'm looking for some affordable rectangular in walls for surrounds and center that will balance with my B&W mains. Considering Klipsch 2650-W or 3650-W II for surrounds and 2502 W or 5502 W center. What do you think?

I want to use round in-ceiling for Atmos. Maybe KEF CI50? Really have no clue how far I have to go for Atmos.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by ShanePJ, Jul 19, 2018 (1 points)
  3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You really want to have the front 3 to be the same make and model. In fact you may be better no having a centre at all (a layout of the room would help to see if this is a suitable option) than a mismatched one. I believe B&W do in wall speakers so one of these maybe a better option if you do need a centre speaker.

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +727
    Best Answer
    For the in-wall surrounds and in-ceiling Atmos speakers, you can use any brand to be truthful, for the surrounds and Atmos speakers, try to find some with the same/similar Ohms and dB rating as for your front's to make it a little easier for you amp to take control of, but it doesn't have to be perfect because usually movies usually focus more on the front three and woofer using the remaining surrounds as effects and fill-ins.

The front three should be the same in order to balance the front end and using an in-wall centre could create a very unwanted experience.

Take a movie where someone is walking from the left to the right of the room whilst talking, you could find that not only does the pitch of their vocals change, but the feeling of the movie because it is so bad. Don't be afraid of looking for an in-wall centre as there are a couple of things to take into consideration, firstly, it has to meet your expectations audibly, secondly there are usually a few option available to get you there from the same manufacturer.

The best way to look at if you are going to install an in-wall centre, look at what CI speakers use the same tweeter as your main left and right, then see if they have more than one variation on the size of the mid-range driver. If they haven't look to the next model above. I suggest your first port of call should be B&W themselves via the online support form (remember to add your speaker model to the form not the ones you are looking for) to see what they suggest.

Although I've heard many hundreds of speakers, I haven't had much experience of B&W hence not being able to put you on the right track for your fronts.

5. drrobinson

drrobinson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ShanePJ Thanks for the helpful reply. I wish I could keep my B&W center speaker, but alas nowhere to place it in the new room. I'll see if I can find the in-wall equivalent from B&W for the center.

For the surrounds the Klipsch I listed are 8 ohm and pretty close on db to the B&W fronts. They have an in-ceiling that is also similar that I could use for Atmos. I just don't have any experience with Klipsch and was looking for some real world experience. The B&W are just more expensive than I want to go this time.

Any other brands I should consider?

6. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +727
    If you have found a speaker which to you feels similar to what you already own, then the choice is already made as that's the hardest part in choosing speakers. So, I feel you're already on the right track :)

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    Display - Projector or TV?

Front LCR - I would go 'all in' with three identical units or retain the Floor standing B&W LR and go with a 'phantom' Centre'.

In-wall/In-ceiling - we often use/supply Atlantic Technology and Earthquake Audio.

Joe

8. drrobinson

drrobinson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not familiar with the "Phantom" center concept. Is this something a receive does if no center is configured?

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    Once you set the AVR to ‘No Centre’ it will mix the Centre info into the Front LR channels.

Joe

10. drrobinson

drrobinson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did an experiment with the "Phantom Center" concept this week. Not impressed with how the Denon handled this speaker configuration. Movie dialog seemed to defused and out of balance with the other channels.

I'm pretty convinced I have to stay with a real 5.1.2 configuration, but now considering replacing all speakers so I can go in-wall. I really love my B&W fronts but I just can't handle the B&W center hanging over the mantel like a lump. To distracting from the screen.

If you only had $1500 to spend on 5.1.2 and needed to go in-wall, what would you buy? Note: I'd like to keep my Martin Logan Sub so a new sub would not be in this budget.

11. citywalker

citywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I wouldn't do that, considering what front speakers you have right now. Especially 5 or 7 speakers. Maybe 3 with long teeth...
    But if you accept losing sound quality, then...