1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating AVR300 firmware: Modem Cable question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by addiwei, Sep 7, 2005.

1. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an IBM T41 laptop. My laptop does not have a serial port (that I know of) It does, however, have a LPT1 parallel port for Printer though. Can I use a 25pin Serial cord and connect it to the receiver to do the update?

Also, if I can do the update this way(using the printer port), which Com port do I specify in the AVR300 software ? (Com1, 2, 3, or 4) ?

If I can't physically perform the scenario above..I would need to buy a USB-serial port adapter, and select which COM port?....Thanks in advance.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    You need an RS232 serial port, not anthing else. You can try using a USB to serial adapter but they do not always work as they only emulate a serial port and are nota true one. If you are at all unsure about soing this update yourself then get your dealer to do it as you may end up with a dead machine and a hefty repair bill. You have been warned.

3. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I wondered how long it would be before IT companies dropped the old serial port, but I didn't realise we were there already. I think you will have to borrow a PC or take it to a dealer.

I note the Meridian G series have USB as well as serial sockets, but I don't think they actually do anything yet (the manual says for future applications)

4. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi addiwei,

I have a IBM R30 laptop at home, and it also has no serial port. I got myself a USB to serial port lead, and plugged in the NULL serial cable into it and it works a treat. I've done 3 upgrades myself so far. I have had problems with the initial connection being established prior to upload of new software, as Crusty says this could be caused by the USB to serial lead, but after a PC reboot and following the instructions EXACTLY, it has worked.

As Crusty has said though, be warned you are doing it at your own risk, it goes wrong you pay for it, whereas if the dealer does it, they pay for it if it they mess it up ;)

Cheers,

Andy

5. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now I'm all scared to do it myself. I bought my unit from an online user, so I doubt the local dealer's going to touch it. Any suggestions?

6. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Finally found a use for my 5yr old Thinkpad T23--they still had serial ports :)

7. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a T41 myself as well and I seem to remember that it has a 9-pin serial interface, not the old 25 pin one.

8. addiwei

addiwei
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    isn't that 9-pn serial interface for the output to a monitor though? it's a monitor out... other than that 1..there aren't any others.

9. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That is a display port, not a serial port (the gender is different). On the newer Thinkpads, they got rid of the serial card. You need a PCMCIA to serial interface.

10. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    monitor is not a 9-pin connection. I thought I used a serial port to connect my mouse to. Could be that it's a round connector. If your pc has one then you better use that one

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    It depends on how good a rapport you have with your local dealer. If you have bought other stuff from him and have generally been a reliable source of custom then I'm sure he'd be happy to help out if he can.