Updates for Panasonic

spikeywan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I bought a panasonic DMR-EX85 some time ago, but have never 'connected' it to Freeview, as it's STILL not available where I live :(

I've heard various comments about soft/firm/whatever-ware updates, and was wondering how these are downloaded.

Do they come via Freeview?

If so, is there any way I can ensure that I'm on the latest version, and get the latest versions without 'connecting' to Freeview.

Thanks.

Guys,

I bought a panasonic DMR-EX85 some time ago, but have never 'connected' it to Freeview, as it's STILL not available where I live :(

I've heard various comments about soft/firm/whatever-ware updates, and was wondering how these are downloaded.

Do they come via Freeview?

If so, is there any way I can ensure that I'm on the latest version, and get the latest versions without 'connecting' to Freeview.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Updates for Panasonic units are never upgrades as such and only ever tend to appear to address specific problems that have arisen with reception.

The updates only ever deal with the DVB reception software part of the machine , not the operating software.

When the need arises these updates are sent for a few days only , in the background on Freeview.
They downloads are usually repeated once more maybe a few weeks later.

The machine is set to a default so that these are automatically downloaded and installed if required. There are controls to over-ride this manually if required.

In the life cycle of a typical product there might be no updates at all or just one or two. In other words they are very rare.

I have a machine in excess of three years old, for example, which has just received it's second update. [ Not an EX85]

There is no way to get updates if you miss them. At one time Panasonic would send out discs to those who had specific problem because of missing updates but they do not seem to do that any more. They insist the machine is taken to a service centre where it will be installed from a disc.

To check which version you are on goto:

Functions / To others / Setup / Others / Software update where the DVB version will be noted - such as typically V1.13

To find out if you have the latest report your number back here.

Last edited:
The update schedule for all downloads can be found HERE

Gavtech - re my TV Guide problem which you commented on a couple of weeks ago saying that a corrective download would operate this week, I assume that this one mentioned above was not the one which was supposed to fix the 'split NIT', believed to be causing the Guide problem? I have checked and I have the 1.14 version installed, but still have the TV Guide problem.

Cheers,

Beeem

Gavtech - re my TV Guide problem which you commented on a couple of weeks ago saying that a corrective download would operate this week, I assume that this one mentioned above was not the one which was supposed to fix the 'split NIT', believed to be causing the Guide problem? I have checked and I have the 1.14 version installed, but still have the TV Guide problem.

Cheers,

Beeem

Hi Beeem

V1.14 is the new updated version so it should fix the problem. [ I presume you received a message when you switched on at some point telling you an update had occurred?]

Have you rescanned to see if the stations fall into the right place?

Once they are correctly located it could take up to a day for the EPG to refill the missing EPG data.

The problem is unchanged. BBC 1 and BBC 2 are 817 and 816 respectively, then are all the (empty) analogue channels 901 to 910, then comes ITV on 3 as it should be.

I didn't see such a message, but it may have appeared when my wife switched it on sometime. She's away for a few days, so I can't check.

However, the software version shown is 1.14. I have just done a manual scan and it tells me that the latest version is installed.

EPG and software updates are both set to download in standby.

I have done a DVB scan (I presume that is the scan you intended?) which has wiped the TV Guide, which is now refilling, but the channels described above remain out of sequence.

Am I stuck with the situation, do you think? :confused:

I have done a DVB scan (I presume that is the scan you intended?) which has wiped the TV Guide, which is now refilling, but the channels described above remain out of sequence.

Am I stuck with the situation, do you think? :confused:

Yes that is the scan I meant.

Hmmm

I suggest you follow this sequence:

Do a power reset. [ 10 minutes] , then disconnect the aerial and do another rescan [ This is the only known certain method of clearing out placeholders ]

Then reconnect the aerial and rescan once more.

If this doesn't work then it will be time to get on to Panasonic.

I've done it all and there is no change.

I presume that I approach Panasonic via their website support and leave an email??

I've done it all and there is no change.

I presume that I approach Panasonic via their website support and leave an email??

Pity.

Yes . There are contact points on this page HERE

Good luck and let us know the responses.

Yes of course. thank you very much for all your help and apologies if I hijacked the thread.

I bought a dmr ex85 within the last 5 months that has a 12 month manufacturers warranty and mine developed a fault, through some helpful advice on here i found out that the probable cause of my problem was that my firmware needed updating as i only had version 1.08 and this version caused a known black screen problem on the tuner.

I rang panasonic and they will NOT send out firmware updates on disc, your only option is to take it to your nearest authorised panasonic repair agent and get them to do the update as they have access to it via a panasonic website. Mine now runs version 1.16 so i will find out over the next few weeks if this cures my original black screen tuner problem or not.

Mine now runs version 1.16 so i will find out over the next few weeks if this cures my original black screen tuner problem or not.

Ah good. You've had it done now.

It should sort you out. Good luck.

Ah good. You've had it done now.

It should sort you out. Good luck.

Yeh touch wood that this software update sorts the problem out, the most baffling thing was that the fault wouldn`t show up when the machine was away at Martin Dawes on 2 seperate occasions yet their own agent who collected the machine from my house the first time seen the problem happenning and even he was baffled, all my leads were triple checked and no broken cables it seems, the main television is fine and that uses the same aerial feed and the signal strength on the television is strong along with the quality. The tv is a 42PZ70 so thats fairly recent, im just wondering if they tested it under the same conditions with a scart lead etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom