Updated Twitch app now live!

iwb100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Gamasutra - Xbox One finally gets Twitch livestreaming alongside Titanfall

Much asked for feature and moaned about that it isn't there. Well now it is coming with the next update.

With more functionality than the PS4 implementation I might add.....

EDIT: Quote from Yusuf Medhi....

To whisk the hood off the elephant in this (chat)room, the PS4's Twitch app has supported livestreaming since launch. It doesn't allow you to join the broadcaster's party, however. "That's a very certain type of experience," Xbox vice president of marketing and strategy Yusuf Mehdi observed of Sony's offering. "For us, we thought that was too limiting for what our fans would want. Our fans really want the full next-gen service, so that's why we decided to take our time, do it right and have it come out in this fashion."

"This will open up the social aspect of Xbox One in a new way," he added. "The community of Twitch is huge, and this allows us to type into that, and frankly do something that's never been done before on consoles. You'll be able to broadcast to any device and consume anyone's broadcast from any device. It's a console experience unique to the Xbox One."

Last edited:
It's full of fluff but the heart of it is

Twitch CEO Emmett Shear told the Associated Press this morning that live streaming is finally on the way, and will debut on March 11 alongsideTitanfall.

"It's complete integration," Shear says. "It's exciting because we've never had the ability to broadcast from a console like this with such a deep level of integration. The concept of being able to join a broadcasters' party is really cool, and it's another step in the direction of interacting more closely with broadcasters."

Twitch video game broadcasting is coming to the Xbox One next month, launching alongside the hotly anticipated Titanfall for the next-gen console.

Previously Twitch said that live streaming would come to the Xbox One sometime in 2014. It's currently possible to spectate Twitch streaming and upload recorded game clips, but not live streaming via the console.

Twitch CEO Emmett Shear told the Associated Press this morning that live streaming is finally on the way, and will debut on March 11 alongside Titanfall.

"It's complete integration," Shear says. "It's exciting because we've never had the ability to broadcast from a console like this with such a deep level of integration. The concept of being able to join a broadcasters' party is really cool, and it's another step in the direction of interacting more closely with broadcasters."

Notably, Twitch live streaming has been part of the PlayStation 4 since the Sony console's launch. However, the PS4's Twitch app was created by Sony with Twitch's help, and doesn't allow users to connect to other broadcasters' parties.

Twitch will no doubt be keen to see how launching for Xbox One affects its user numbers. Last month, the company said that nearly 20 percent of all Twitch livestreams come from a PS4.

Straight from Twitch CEO. I imagine MS will confirm in the coming days...

Ooh cool.
I know it wont be for everyone but I am looking forward to streaming some games when having a laugh. Think it backs them up aswell doesnt it.
Being able to join a party will be good.

Won't be for me I might add. My connection isn't good enough to stream and I watch enough gaming content as it is.

But for those that want it, I'm glad it is arriving.

Superb. Sounds like from that ABC article that the Xbox One version will be more integrated than the PS4 one.

I've only ever streamed a couple of 360 games via the PC a few times but it always was a pain to do. If it is going to be easy to do as they suggest on the X1 then I'll probably do it a lot more.

Good that it's added, but it's one of those features I'm not that fussed about. I haven't shared a single clip since I got my X1. I'm a philistine.

More good news... Looking forward to this. I enjoy watching streams, seeing people entirely more competent than me, it's a great way to learn. Would like to hear more about the social features...

Less "Limiting" than the PS4? What does that mean?

News: Xbox One Twitch livestreaming dated - less "limiting" than PS4 app, says MS - OXM UK

As of 11th March, the Xbox One's Twitch app will finally support livestreaming. What's more, it'll allow you to join a broadcaster's Xbox Live party while watching their stream.

Livestreaming was originally planned for launch, but was delayed "to ensure that the Twitch broadcasting experience meets all of your expectations". Microsoft and Twitch now claim that the Xbox One Twitch app is the most "complete" you'll find on a console.

"It's complete integration," Twitch CEO Emmett Shear told the Associated Press this morning, as reported by Gamasutra. "It's exciting because we've never had the ability to broadcast from a console like this with such a deep level of integration. The concept of being able to join a broadcasters' party is really cool, and it's another step in the direction of interacting more closely with broadcasters."

PrevNext
1 of 2
To whisk the hood off the elephant in this (chat)room, the PS4's Twitch app has supported livestreaming since launch. It doesn't allow you to join the broadcaster's party, however. "That's a very certain type of experience," Xbox vice president of marketing and strategy Yusuf Mehdi observed of Sony's offering. "For us, we thought that was too limiting for what our fans would want. Our fans really want the full next-gen service, so that's why we decided to take our time, do it right and have it come out in this fashion."

"This will open up the social aspect of Xbox One in a new way," he added. "The community of Twitch is huge, and this allows us to type into that, and frankly do something that's never been done before on consoles. You'll be able to broadcast to any device and consume anyone's broadcast from any device. It's a console experience unique to the Xbox One."

What do you think? Here's a list of Twitch app achievements.

At a guess it means he did not express himself well, I think what he meant to say was that on Xbox one its a more feature rich experience.

Limiting suggests there is something missing but from what I can see the PS4 gives the same experience as PC and that is how I would compare the services. ie the PS4 is not "limited" at all.

With Xbox they let you share your "party" out to the stream or similar so folks can then chat whilst they watch or something, the PS4 has some ability for the viewers to make decisions or affect the game being played in very small ways so I think it would be better to say they both offer different value add experiences around the core Twitch video stream framework.

/Marketing hat off

look great and perhaps we might see what all the party direction is about now rather than just "its not like it was on the 360". I am sure there was a vision and it seems we got half an implementation leaving us scratching our heads, lets hope now they have flashed it out more we can see what is planned and decide if we like its now more social and functional game match making parts.

This is why the Xbox one has always felt like the a next gen console to me, rather than the PS4 feeling like an iterative update, the xbox is about integration and that is what the next gen is to me. I remember a few years ago Ubisoft talking about the idea of linking multiple game titles into a single theatre of operations e.g. Endwar (providing a battlefield strategy game), Hawx (providing the tactical based air support element of the battlefield) and Graw (the tactical ground based element of the battlefield).

With the Xbox one i see this becoming a reality.

I was hopeful it would be added by the time Titanfall comes out. Sounds like it is deeply integrated so it will be interesting to see what it does and if it's better than the PS4 implementation.

Good that it's added, but it's one of those features I'm not that fussed about. I haven't shared a single clip since I got my X1. I'm a philistine.

Its not something you will instantly use but I was thinking for something like Tournaments and people wanting to watch if they are not involved in it or even when DLC arrives and lets say I am working from home and jump into the new DLC or Maps or whatever I could stream it for people to see and just post on here that I am streaming it if people wanted to check out the maps. And now it seems people can go from that to joining your party and chatting and then join the game.

Or it will be perfect for those gaming pervs that just sit there watching hot ladies playing on Twitch and make donations to help them through college haha.

You might not have shared any yourself but your profile has a shed load of Peggle clips uploaded lol

You might not have shared any yourself but your profile has a shed load of Peggle clips uploaded lol

I know, the funny thing is I hardly know what I am doing with that game. I get a good shot and then "Game Clip Recorded" message pops up.

The only thing I have recorded intentionally is a couple of good shots on Powerstar Golf, the rest just happened automatically. (And I didn't realise that it shares with everyone like that!)

I know, the funny thing is I hardly know what I am doing with that game. I get a good shot and then "Game Clip Recorded" message pops up.

The only thing I have recorded intentionally is a couple of good shots on Powerstar Golf, the rest just happened automatically. (And I didn't realise that it shares with everyone like that!)

If people follow you it will just appear in the News Feed, also when looking at Games and Upload Studio it shows clips from friends.

This is why the Xbox one has always felt like the a next gen console to me, rather than the PS4 feeling like an iterative update, the xbox is about integration and that is what the next gen is to me.

With the Xbox one i see this becoming a reality.
lol is all I'll say...

Thanks @turk3y for being the voice of reason despite more PR speak.

Good news for XB1 though and I'll try to stream while playing TF... just hope the net can handle my beastliness!!! (or just the added bandwidth on my crap connection.

Screenshot:

image.jpg

Streaming initiates with the voice command: "Xbox, broadcast"

"Xbox, broadcast" sounds similar to "Xbox, Record That" hope that doesn't lead to issues :D

Looking at this also, will you need to have Twitch "snapped" in order to broadcast? I imagine you do to set it up, would be nice if you can unsnap and still continue to Twitch stream.

Lots of bro gamers streaming from xbox in that vid. I'm sold!

Looking at this also, will you need to have Twitch "snapped" in order to broadcast? I imagine you do to set it up, would be nice if you can unsnap and still continue to Twitch stream.
Video doesn't make it look that way, let's hope not!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom