Updated review of the Philips HTS6510

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dilshadow, Jan 5, 2007.

1. dilshadow

dilshadow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a HTS6510 for a couple of months now.. I've had a good play and have "invested" in Sky HD too .. I thought it was worth a quick update.

First Impressions...
    It's not 5:1 sound sound. But no one ever said it was. For me the speakers are in front of you and Sonowave or not... it doesn't make me think otherwise. However, the addtion of the subwoofer and the six front speakers does offer excellent sound when playing DVDs. The only downside is the obvious lack of rear sound.
    The subwoofer itself is large and I had some difficulty placing it.That said .. 2 months on and I hardly notice it until hit pumping out base.

I bought the unit to go with my Philips 32PW9641D LCD TV and it looks fantastic. It sounds great too. If you don't like the neighbours put MTV Base on and watch the lamposts outside shake!!

Second impressions...
    The unit does deliver a lot of bass.. Sometimes I think too much. I now have the sound from Sky HD coming into the unit through an optical to analogue covertor (maplin) into the Digital IN. This has improved the sound reproduction which did some to vary before when using the AUX IN connections. My only gripe would be now that the sound from the Sky HD is less than from a DVD. However, unless you want your ears to bleed its quite acceptable.

It's performance with DVD's from a sound perspective is great. It's true its not 5:1 and I thought i'd miss it. But I didn't want a room full of wires. It would be nice to have more options to vary the sound... Maybe greater flexibility to turn down the subwoofer. There is a 'night mode' but this can only be used on DVD's not when the sound is coming from Sky

Picturewise.... I have it connected to the TV via HDMI. The upscaled DVD picture from a DVD isn't quite as good as the pictures from Sky HD. But it does make a very good attempt at making them appear HD. Success varies between films.. "The Incredibles" for instance looks (and souths) fantastic. Other real life dramas do not appear to be as good as a true HD single. But I'm am judging this sat inches from the screen just to make the comparison.

Third Impressions
    I've also recently found that you can update the firmware from the Philips website.. I did this. I'd be lying if I said I could notice any improvement. But it is reassuring to know that your box is future proofed to some extent.

I've also used the unit for playing CD's and MP3's from a memory stick. Sounds greats.. You can also play jpegs from a memory stick. Though with the 32PF9641D TV there's a USB port so you can go direct to the TV.

The remote for the HTS6510 is a little bit of a challenge for those with a natural affliction to technology. The control needs to be in the correct mode for many of the controls to work. This will drive your wife bonkers but should be no trouble for you and the kids.

Another minor gripe.. None standard cabling on the speakers means I'm fairly stuck with excessive amounts of speaker cable even though I have the sat under the TV.

Summary.

Positive
    The HTS6510 has amazing looks if you have gone for a Samsung or Philips shiny black TV then this will fit in prefectly.. It sounds great, really bringing your DVD collection to life. My 12 year old nephew said it sounded ace "just like the cinema!". Also, the HDMI upscaled pictures are excellent quality and are 'almost' HD.

Negative
    If I was being harsh... it lacks somewhat in the connectivity stakes. No optical in means having to buy a convertor. If you want full graphic equaliser you can play with until your blue in the face then this is not for you. Also, a volume on the sub woofer may have helped (still not tried night mode)

Conclusion
    This is a simple plug and play solution for LCD/Plasma TV's with hopeless speakers. If thats what you want, then it is sure to exceed your expectations. If you are looking for an AV amp. Buy an AV amp :lesson:

PS. Did I mention the Philips 32PF9641D is Gooooooooorgeous! ...and now less than a grand... go buy one..
    PPS. Sky HD.. When it works its great. Make sure you know you're investing in an unfinished product. Box crashes far too often.

2. Boomboomshake

Boomboomshake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great review from dilshadow. I have just purchased the HTS6510 and agree with all that has been said. However I am finding the lack of a sub-woofer control a major problem as without it the bass is very boomy. Turning the volume down then ruins the effect of the front speakers. Does anyone know if the sub-woofer wiring could easily be run through a volume controller ?

3. bigvalen

bigvalen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, you mention that your HTS6510 was upgraded; I followed the instructions on the Philips website, and it seems to stubbornly refuse to update via the CD. I'm told to 'hold stop, insert disk, press play'. When I press play, the 'stop' symbol flickers to play, goes back to stop, and nothing happens. Not good.

I found the version of the HTS6510 I have to be *very* flaky; if I insert a DVD I need to reset the device for it to work. If I use the 'source' button on the front to cycle through the inputs, it gets to 'tuner' and locks up. I saw some instructions on 'region unlocking' the box online; however again my one, with the v42 firmware just ignores the process.

Bar that, it's an excellent entry-level device.

John

4. poppy10

poppy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mine updated ok

5. Bob59

Bob59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just bought the Philips HTS6510 and I find it's just what I wanted. I've got over the excessive bass for most things by selecting different sound settings, i.e. rock/digital/concert/drama/jazz modes etc..
    Only one problem I had for example, I played James Bond "Live & Let Die" and on the title track, Paul McCartney's voice was very distant while the rest of the music was loud & clear. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bob.

6. misken

misken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a failure to play discs after 3 months I got my HTS6510 back and all is well again. I run the cabling for the sub to put it behind my couch with the 2 speakers beneath the telly. Action films are awesome with but speech a bit hard to make out with multi channel sound selected.
    Can anyone help me with a sky remote code that operates the sound? Have tried all the Philip's codes that Sky offer with no joy.

7. xxrobbo

xxrobbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if anyone could help, but my system has stopped excepting DVD comes back with no disc..... any idea's

8. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    dirty laser, laser out of alignment,dirty discs(though i expect not).
    it would all point to it needing a service/repair,so either contact philips,or go and have a word with the retailer if its still in warranty as regards service/repair.

9. buckfaster

buckfaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wondering does anyone know how to lower the bass on this?
    It's very deep and loud, speech is difficult to hear at low levels while the bass is still thumping away.