Updated - New house has Sonos ceiling speakers - amp options?

PaulH86

Thanks for the replies to the original post.

Moved into a new house. There are six Sonos ceiling speakers across 3 rooms, each room had a Sonos amp.

Is there any other option to connect them all other than 3 X the Sonos Amp at £700 each?

Ideally a Bluetooth receiving amplifier that can link to the other amplifiers but don't know if that's possible.

I'm not AV minded at all so any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Ataripower

They are likely to all be passive speakers as Sonos do not make active ceiling speakers. You will need an amp to power all of them and connect the speakers to the amp(s) using speaker cable. Are you sure they are Sonos speakers? Some people prefer to install Bluetooth speakers in the ceiling as they are less hassle to run.

If they are Sonos, you do not need a Sonos amp, any decent amp will do but the Sonos amp will give you access to the Sonos ecosystem which is superb and easy to use.

Last edited:

PaulH86

Thanks for the reply.

They're definitely Sonos.

Any reason why when I connected the non Sonos amp, I only had sound in one room? There's only one male and female cable.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
The Sonos branded ceiling speakers are really just a branding exercise, they're standard passive speakers made by Sonance and nothing specific to Sonos unless you then also use Sonos amps and sources.

I suspect you're missing something with the cables for the other rooms speakers. Could there be cables for the speakers somewhere in the same room as the speakers, maybe behind a blanking plate.

Ataripower

One solution may be to have one amplifier (either Sonos or another brand) connected to a switch box so you can select the speakers (A B or C) you want to operate. This would mean you can only have one pair of speakers working at a time but is saves on cost.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom