Updated HT System using Onkyo TX-SR805

evilstuie

Novice Member
Hi Guys,

I'm about to move into our new home and it has a very nice 5.5m x 4m lounge room that I'm going to set up as the media room for my home theatre system.

Currently I have:
Panasonic Viera 58" Plasma (TH 100 something) & Kogan 58" Series 8 4k
Onkyo TX-SR805 Receiver
Dali Concept 8 Fronts
Dali Concept Center
Gale 50 series fronts (for rear speakers)
Gale 50 series center (for rear)
Sony 10" active sub (nothing special)
And a HTPC running it all

I'm looking to probably upgrade the tv, maybe to a Kogan 65" Series 9 4K, so just a cheap one, and the sub, but I'm wondering if there's anyway of getting around having to buy a new receiver to take advantage of 4k resolutions in the future?

The 805 has been a fantastic receiver in terms of sound, and I don't think there would be too much to gain from an updated entry level unit that could handle hdmi2.0, but I'd buy a cheap one if there's a way to still run the sound through the 805.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to get the best value out of what I've already got?

D

Deleted member 39241

Yes, it's pretty easy if you are using a HTPC as a source. You just run dual outputs from the HTPC, one to the TV for video, and one direct to the AVR for audio.

Depending on what you already have in your PC, you may need a new graphics card (dual HDMI or HDMI / Display Port). But a new graphics card will be much cheaper than a new AVR.

evilstuie

Novice Member
Yes, it's pretty easy if you are using a HTPC as a source. You just run dual outputs from the HTPC, one to the TV for video, and one direct to the AVR for audio.

Depending on what you already have in your PC, you may need a new graphics card (dual HDMI or HDMI / Display Port). But a new graphics card will be much cheaper than a new AVR.

Thanks for that.
I've got a HD7970 in the HTPC so it should be able to handle it no worries.
I wanted to get another HDAV 1.3 slim card, but my last 2 have died within 6 months.
Are they still worth the money or has the videocard audio caught up to these?

D

Deleted member 39241

I have never had any issues using the audio out of my graphics card via HDMI. I mainly bitstream using WASAPI, and have been doing that for a fair few years, with a few different graphics cards. So I have no complaints, but I have nothing else to compare it to either.

Maybe try it with your HD7970 and see if it sounds any different to how your HDAV 1.3 slim sounded?

It's pretty hard to get soundcards with HDMI audio outputs these days, I presume everyone is using their graphic cards.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom