Updated Centre Speaker For Jamo DVR50

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wasps_Winger, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Wasps_Winger

Wasps_Winger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Jamo DVR50 all in one system with Jamo A305 satellite speakers and a Jamo A3Sub.1. I feel that I need to update the centre speaker as it can struggle at time IMHO. I have been looking at different Mordaunt Short models. Can anyone suggest what would be a good upgrade? Thanks.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I'd be very wary of using the DVR50 to drive anyhting other than the small satellites it is designed to drive. You really need to update the whole system to be brutally honest.

3. Wasps_Winger

Wasps_Winger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that; I suspected as much but unfortunately have higher priorities at the mo including upgrading my main seperates system:rolleyes:

4. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I think Crusyloafer is right; I had that system with the A355PDD package and it was pretty good for the money, but if you look at the spec sheet the DVR50 doesn't pump out much power. Any add-on centre speaker would have to be pretty efficient.

5. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    What does it pump out

I had reservations when i upgraded my centre speaker to a canton

But it integrates really well and speech is a lot clearer and it works great on my system

regards

6. dingwall

dingwall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    In what way does the centre speaker struggle?

The Jamo A102 satellites are awesome, but you won't find anyone just selling the centre. This centre speaker has 2 x 3" woofers as oppose to the single 2" I believe yours currently has. The sub contributes a lot to the sound as well of course being small satellites, and this would make a big difference too...

In fact, why not try the whole A102 package? Blows away the Canton 101s I had for a few days, if you're trying to gauge the value.

If you like them, I may have a spare centre and sub for sale (just use the 4 satellites in a 2nd room for background music) - although unless you're really strapped for cash it makes much more sense to buy the whole new package!

7. Wasps_Winger

Wasps_Winger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just feel the centre needs a bit more oompth with the vocals when turned up loud through an optical input from a SkyHD box. It would probably be more suited to upgrade the centre for another Jamo speaker that was sold with the DVD player. The A325's were another option, but at the time of purchase a few years ago I could only get the A305's. Let me know how much your selling the centre for as it would probably be worth trying it out; cheers.