UPDATED: Brick/Lead/Roof Repair Advice

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

doing some work in my garden and clearing an old log store from the roof or my stone built outhouses/sheds. There is a wall that rises above the roof line on three sides & about 6yrs ago was felted and then lead flashing was installed around the three sides of the roof and is held in place with what I think is lead wedges and cement.

the cement sealing around the flashing is failing at multiple points and the is actually causing a rather disturbing leak (at least for me) in one of my sheds.

I am currently trying to clad my brick wall (including 1 of the walls above my leaking shed) with wood as it looks terrible. I am confident that this would limit the amount of water getting to the lead flashing but would bot stop it all so want to get this fixed before I cladd over it.

i am sure someone on here (for some reason I think @27neth ) gave me some advice on this before but that was many moons ago and I cannot remember the thread.

as I said cement has been used in this previously but it does not seem to have lasted all that long. So what advice can anyone give me (I am about to youtube the crap out of this as well)? Is cement the best option here? I did see something about flashing sealant that was applied like Silicon or Caulk?

here are some pics to help;
7DF0C0A5-3366-47C6-B19A-0D0BCD6FF756.jpeg

3CF50980-8937-4CD3-BEFF-4CA17B9B3699.jpeg

AC9C3F78-869E-4A57-9BA3-E6AA890368CA.jpeg

DD26849B-9A49-4DD1-BE91-96590AC5D08F.jpeg

thanks in advance.

I have a mortar rake attachment for my angle grinder as well as a diamond disc (if required) so had planned of raking out the old crap first.

checking screwfix I have 2 choices:

No Nonsense:

-OR-

Geocel:

Have you used either?

EDIT:

Just checked toolstation and they have leadate sealant:

I have only used it a couple of times, it’s not my job.
I would of thought roofers would just use the type they stock at the local roofing merchants

show an internal pic of the leak-is it definitely coming from the lead as the flashing appear to be in place

Crap been very busy this week so not hot round to taking photos.

I plan on repairing this over the weekend so plan is to rak out old mortar & crap, clean channel & refit using lead wedges & lead sealant.

I do have a Q. I have some lead flashing tape & wondered if, after i repair & fill the lead beading channel with sealant is there any issue with then putting lead flashing tape over it as well? I was thinking half on brick half on lead?
I have wood cladding I plan to put on wall so it would be hidden anyway?

cheers
Col

Crap been very busy this week so not hot round to taking photos.

I plan on repairing this over the weekend so plan is to rak out old mortar & crap, clean channel & refit using lead wedges & lead sealant.

I do have a Q. I have some lead flashing tape & wondered if, after i repair & fill the lead beading channel with sealant is there any issue with then putting lead flashing tape over it as well? I was thinking half on brick half on lead?
I have wood cladding I plan to put on wall so it would be hidden anyway?

cheers
Col
can't see it doing any harm and you will then have a double seal over the leaking area

Last edited:
Hi again,
So an update I went to tackle the lead work for this then when I started removing it the channel the lead was in was a total mess & I lost my bottle. I called a roofer we have used & he did a homer for me on Sunday & this was the result:

0F3E062D-23FE-4602-9F58-B4F41E2659B4.jpeg

However what he said was the wall on the right, the mortar/render on that wall especially was loose & needed removing so it could be repointed & skimmed. Last night I had a look at it and with a combination of pulling with my hand and gentle tapping with a hammer & bolster chisel I am now left with this:

A6FF30C8-16C3-4574-B813-878B1D368CBD.jpeg

What a total mess.
So looks like I am going to have fo relay those 5 or so bricks as well as go under my house & find a brick or 2 to fill in some gaps that are too big for mortar alone.

my next query is how to finish the top. It would appear in the past that a bed of mortar was laid on the top course if bricks to fill the gap between the outbuilding wall & the house. Is this the best/easiest option here or should I really be looking at another/better option?

My next job to hopefully finally fix this is render the exposed brick with a coat of Tarmac one coat render from B&Q.

Anyone on here rendered before and got any tips. I have seen a video where someone uses a mesh that holds the render (bit like the mesh tape plasterers use) but not sure I need that.

I hope to get this rendered at the weekend as that is 4 days for the mortar to dry out which i think should be suitably long enough.... Fingers crossed it will go ok.

I suppose I could do that but I am not too bothered about colour at the moment, I am more worried about getting it water tight. I am also hoping to clad over the wall with wood anyway so the colour of the render is less important.

Not sure how long I would need to wait for them to make up the white colour.

Finally I have already bought the one coat render :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom