UPDATED. Audyssey Time Alignment Correction in Denon and Marantz AVR's and AVP's. Plus info about Loudness Management Settings.

A simpleton's question if I may - My AVR is Marantz- SR6010 it is a 2 channel stereo set up. After reading this thread, I manually corrected the distances in the AVR by multiplying by 0.875. Did I do it right?

If you're using meters/cms. Yes. :smashin:

If you're using meters/cms. Yes. :smashin:

Thanks. The correction really focused the sound from the L/Rs (stage width) but seems to have diminished the stage depth from my Magnepan 1.6's. I will live with it for a while and then decide if I want to tinker with the distance a bit - I will post results.

So for the x8500HA it needs to be corrected too? It’s really… what to say. Denon and Marantz seem to be companies, that don’t really care about sound. 👻

Just as a reminder, if you use the MultEQ-X PC application, it automatically compensates the delay times (distances).

@Strifingsoul you could consider treating your flagship behemoth with the extra tweakability and features of MultEQ-X?

Is the Denon AVC-X8400H affected?
I’m not ready to use for a few months but would be good to know in advance.

Do you mean the X4800H? If so, no, it's not affected so you don't need to adjust anything.
That’s exactly what I meant lol
And thanks mate, appreciated!

I'm confused.
With Dynamic Compression always set to off - When turning Loudness Management on or off, there is a huge difference in loudness when playing Dolby audio. Especially when play Atmos music on from Tidal.

Marantz Cinema 40

I'm confused.
With Dynamic Compression always set to off - When turning Loudness Management on or off, there is a huge difference in loudness when playing Dolby audio. Especially when play Atmos music on from Tidal.

Marantz Cinema 40

Yes. Same on my Denon X3700H which is why I suggest leaving it OFF. It seems to be doing something in the background despite Dynamic Compression being OFF.

With some movies I find the sound mix sound better and more controlled when with Loudness Management is set to On. And some movies like Evil Dead Rise completely opposite - very low and dull.

Attachments

• Dolby Dialnorm_DRC.pdf
    581.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Thanks. Would be nice to have access to Loudness Management on or off in the Option menu.

*Now I remembered why I liked DTS better over Dolby back in the days.

I've not tried loudness management and am currently away from home. I have a Denon avr-x3500h and the manual says it can be used with or without dynamic compression when certain audio streams are being output such as dd, it's in the sound parameter menu. Never heard of dialnorm but from reading the above if used will it make dialog clearer for films and tv. What sound difference is making. Thanks.

I've not tried loudness management and am currently away from home. I have a Denon avr-x3500h and the manual says it can be used with or without dynamic compression when certain audio streams are being output such as dd, it's in the sound parameter menu. Never heard of dialnorm but from reading the above if used will it make dialog clearer for films and tv. What sound difference is making. Thanks.

All you can do is try Loudness Management and Dynamic Compression (Auto, Low, Medium or High) and see what you think.

Dialnorm is not normally user accessible as it's something that's done when encoding/mixing the audio. On older Denons you would see the level flash up on the display or you could check it using the Status button. Typically it would show something like 'Dialnorm Offset -4db' or 'Dialnorm Value -27'.

Old article here explains it all.

While watching This Is Spinal Tap on BBC1 HD with DD5.1, I tried Loudness Management with DRC off. It was noticably louder compared to having Loudness Management off. 5.1 soundtracks on Freeview have always been very quiet so Loudness Management might be useful.

Cycling through the DRC options didn't seem to make a difference compared to DRC 'off' on this particular soundtrack. Reading from the manual, I expect the DRC options would have to be used with discs. LM on with DRC off had the opposite effect with a YouTube video in 5.1 being quieter. Just some observations, I've always turned DRC off.

Last edited:
While watching This Is Spinal Tap on BBC1 HD with DD5.1, I tried Loudness Management with DRC off. It was noticably louder compared to having Loudness Management off. 5.1 soundtracks on Freeview have always been very quiet so Loudness Management might be useful.

Cycling through the DRC options didn't seem to make a difference compared to DRC 'off' on this particular soundtrack. Reading from the manual, I expect the DRC options would have to be used with discs. LM on with DRC off had the opposite effect with a YouTube video in 5.1 being quieter. Just some observations, I've always turned DRC off.
If I'm getting this, drc should make the audio quieter as its reducing the gap in the volume between the loud and quiet sounds. LM on the other hand is setting a reference volume level set to the vocals in the track so the overall volume would depend on what level they are at to begin with. If your you tube video was quieter, if you turned the main volume up how did the vocals sound within the audio compared to off. I use dynamic volume light so I'm not sure if drc would have any benifit as they're both compression, when I get home I'll try dv with lm to see if it has any impact on vocals. All this is assuming I'm understanding correctly.

If I'm getting this, drc should make the audio quieter as its reducing the gap in the volume between the loud and quiet sounds. LM on the other hand is setting a reference volume level set to the vocals in the track so the overall volume would depend on what level they are at to begin with. If your you tube video was quieter, if you turned the main volume up how did the vocals sound within the audio compared to off. I use dynamic volume light so I'm not sure if drc would have any benifit as they're both compression, when I get home I'll try dv with lm to see if it has any impact on vocals. All this is assuming I'm understanding correctly.
It's interesting to read that there is an approach based on vocal levels. The vocals on the YouTube video I played seemed clear enough but the track as a whole needed a much higher master volume. It was almost like a DD track on Freeview HD without Loudness Management.

Although I haven't been using DEQ lately DV is still helpful with uncompressed Blu-ray audio such as Blade Runner 2049.

It's interesting to read that there is an approach based on vocal levels. The vocals on the YouTube video I played seemed clear enough but the track as a whole needed a much higher master volume. It was almost like a DD track on Freeview HD without Loudness Management.

Although I haven't been using DEQ lately DV is still helpful with uncompressed Blu-ray audio such as Blade Runner 2049.

I always find going from any streaming service to youtube that I have to turn the main volume down. I love both deq and dv but often have deq off as my wife finds the added bass to much, when on I turn my surrounds down by 2db. I use a house curve via the Audyssey app with the hf roll off turned off and an extension to the flat curve at the bass end to give me a little more bass without deq.

I tied loudness management without any compression and it was like a very weak dynamic volume. What was suprising is that even though my manual says its for dd tracks only it works on everything, has it been updated. It also works when audyssey is off.

I tied loudness management without any compression and it was like a very weak dynamic volume. What was suprising is that even though my manual says its for dd tracks only it works on everything, has it been updated. It also works when audyssey is off.

Not sure if they've updated it but it's doing something even when set to ON and all it's other options are OFF. Best avoided unless you want DRC but aren't a fan of Dynamic Volume.

Not sure if they've updated it but it's doing something even when set to ON and all it's other options are OFF. Best avoided unless you want DRC but aren't a fan of Dynamic Volume.
Yes it does even without the other options which I wasn't aware of so hadn't tried it. It was only supposed to work with dd, I have it working with stereo. But it's of no consequence as it doesn't sound that good. I am a fan of dv light. Thanks for the reply.

I have run Audyssey and corrected distances. Now that I have been making small adjustments and sended the file back to the receiver, are the distances correct?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom