1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update to 1.07 on AE700u?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jjdaugh, Apr 24, 2005.

1. jjdaugh

jjdaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the AE700u running 1.03. The picture quality is pretty good, but I cannot get rid of some horizontal banding. Can I upate the firmware to 1.07 myself or will I need to have Panasonic do it?

I think I may have to trick them into updating it based on some other posts I have read. If so, what is the story I need to stick to? I understand it has something to do with HDMI cropping the picture and some instances of white flash, but I cannot find any detailed information as the setup and configuration under which these occur.

Thanks,

Jim D

2. dorgan

dorgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You will need to send it to a Panasonic repair center. Just tell them that you're seeing white flashes every few minutes and your DVD player is connected to the hdmi port of the projector. I contacted my service center and they sent out prepaid postage labels, so it didn't cost anything. I waited for around 2 weeks to get it back. Don't be expecting miracles on the vertical banding issue though. I still see them. I would send it back while it's still under warranty in the event that you pick up a HDMI equipped player in the future.

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try going into the "secret" service menu, to do this go to Options and select OSD then hold down your enter button for 3 seconds, a new menu appears and from this select the flicker adjust option, now change the blue red and green screens until you see no flicker, this practically elimates 95% of the problem you are seeing, not sure if your firmware 1.03 has this option but if it does this will help elimate it ( i have this projector and have found the flicker adjust a great help )

4. jjdaugh

jjdaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was able to get rid of the VB using the flickering trick, but I now have horizontal banding. My menu shows I am running the following:

R1.05 A1.03 P1.04

So, it is 1.03 firmware I am running right?

Thanks,

Jim

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    No You have firmware version 1.05 as the first figure you see is the firmware version.

Adrenochrome.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If you resurrect your VB you could have a kick-ass game of noughts and crosses!

...PJ :)

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its worth noting i have firmware version 1.07, using the flicker adjust aids picture enormously but after the projectors been on a couple of hours the settings change, i had to re-adjust the flicker adjust, might be a temperature thing but if you do change your flicker adjust settings check em after watching a film and you might notice they have changed.

i have not noticed any vertical banding at all ( yet ) although i do notice edge enhancement, just watched Jeepers Creepers 2, good movie and great picture quality with minimal edge enhancement ( watching at full 106 inch size ) sound wasn't bad but i would have liked even more surround use, yesterday i watched Blade Trinity, that had great picture quality ( a cinema watermark was clearly visible during the interrogation scene ) but i found the sound to be compressed ( to my ears and no its not my amp or speakers i believe the re-equalising for the home has ruined the soundtrack, sure theres plenty of bass and surround steerage but its still compressed and doesnt sound fully open and using the full frequency range as compared to some other films ) wouldn't recommend Blade:Trinity to buy but worth a rental, its star Wesley Snipes is clearly not enjoying himself and is currently sueing New Line over the fact he had script approval and director approval and they vetoed his idea's ( explains why he looks bored and going through the motions on this one )

Anyways bear in mind your flicker adjust settings will need changed after the projector heats up.

8. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    a little trick for ya when doing the flicker adjust, put a white peice of paper up to the lense and adjust from that it is 10 times better i couldnt see any flicker on the screen but the paper was flickering it is really good.

9. jjdaugh

jjdaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The white paper trick is the bomb!! I was having a real hard time determining the best flicker setting on the screen, but the paper made it clear as day.

I cant find any information on the 1.05 and what people think it fixes. My picture does have horizontal bands and the solid light colors such as the blue sky appear blotchy. Do you think 1.07 will fix that?

Thanks,

Jim D

10. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    firmware revision 1.05 fixes the hdmi white flash problem.

Adrenochrome.

11. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probally not, depends on your signal source, blue sky is a problem with other digital signal sources, ie. sky, etc