1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update RAM Firmware For Burner

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GASJKH2, Feb 2, 2005.

1. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help Please

:lease:

I have bought a Panasonic E85 recently based on all the great help & advice I received from this excellent forum & am very pleased with this Recorder - a truly great machine.

I am unable though to read RAM discs when loaded onto my PC as I wish to edit etc using siftware on PC - TMPEG etc.

I am using a Mat****a SR-8585 (Panasonic) DVD ROM to read the discs & then wish to burn onto DVD- discs after editing.
    My DVD ROM though wont read the RAM discs (Panasonic)
    Does the firmware need updating? Nero Infotool shows 1S29 Firmware installed which means nothing to me.
    If so, how do I update the firmware as I have never done this before - I am a beginner to all this IT stuff so I need some help from someone.

2. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You probably need a dvd-ram driver although if your using windows xp it should have one built in.. The firmware shouldn't be a problem

3. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running Windows XP with SP2 installed, should I need to update the driver & hwo do I do it?

THE DVD ROM is confirmed by Nero Infotool as being able to read RAM also.

Advice & help please !!!!

4. joegib

joegib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm running 3 models of Toshiba RAM capable drives on separate XP machines and I didn't need to install drivers for any of them. One gave me trouble initially (the oldest, a Tosh 1612) but cleaning the laser lens solved the problem.

The SR-8585 is quite an old drive (3-4 years?) so it might be worth your while running a cleaning disk though it.

5. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will get hold of a cleaning disc to try but + & - DVD discs read all OK as do all CD format discs

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    You need a new DVD-RAM drive - this model is only compatible with an elderly version of DVD-RAM which has long since been wihdrawn! Have a look at this Guide for advice on a new ROM drive.

7. joegib

joegib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's what I found with my "problem" Tosh -- +/-R disks read fine. I concluded that RAM is more sensitive to drive condition.

If you do want to try alternative firmware this is linked here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=1&manufactor=18

As it happens I gave someone some help flashing an SR-8588 yesterday -- see here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=32751&highlight=

Although it's a later model the procedure is exactly the same.

But I really don't think firmware is the problem.

8. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your help.

I now need advice to find a new RAM compatible burner.

Looking at the forum, some LG drives appear to be problematic?
    What I need is advice from someone who has used a burner which works with RAM discs on XP NFTC files?

Can anyone advise me accordingly on LG, Pioneer, Panasonic, (& others) range of RAM compatible readers & burners for E85 machine.

Help please :lease:

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    The LG drives are great and are highly recommended - I am on my third now and everyone has been superb. A few people have had problems but these have largely been due to using Windows 2000 without the appropriate driver, using Panasonic 3x DVD-RAM media or some setup issue. As far as I am aware all users having problem have had them resolved...

However why not just buy a new DVD-ROM as opposed to a new DVD writer? That will cost you around £15 as opposed to sub-£50? LG, Toshiba, Panasonic etc DVD-ROMs are all RAM compatible.

10. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    If you opt to go for a burner I can recommend the LG 4163B. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and it works like a dream - it cost me just over £50 from eBuyer. I run Windows XP Pro and haven't had any problems at all.

11. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gone for the LG DVD ROM GDR-8163B 16x read (as per Razcak recommendation), it reads my Ridiscs DVD-RAM perfectly.

I can then burn using my existing re-writer after editing.

LG DVD ROM only cost £22.00 including postage from Simply Computers - service as quich as ever.

Thanks for everybody's help.

PS I fitted the DVD ROM myself - 1st time I have ever had the balls to take the lid of my PC. :hiya:

12. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LG 4163B works fine and has read everything so far from RAM discs to home movies. Had a problem with the trial version of PowerDVD V6 however in that it would not read sound on some discs. Went back to version 4 with no problems.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    :thumbsup: Glad it's all working. You'd be amazed at the amount of venon that can comes my way when someone follows my guide (normally without reading all of it) and then just goes mental when something doesn't work the second they set it all up - I've actually had one guy e-mail me recently telling me that my guide is "a total fraud to promote DVD-RAM". Makes me wonder why I actually bother sometimes.

14. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razcak ignore them - your info on this forum, I have always respected & followed, and I was a complete beginner at all this 3 months ago.

The best forum with the best advice for those who listen & try to learn! - like me.

:thumbsup: