Update- PS3 & Panasonic Viera Bruising & Grainy Image

hatton2010

Standard Member
Reaction score
Further to my post earlier (pasted below for info), I've spoken to a guy at work who's been able to define the 'depression' thing I was trying to describe as 'Bruising'. I'm unsure whether this is a PS3 or a Tv issue and he's advised me to discount any sort of issue with the HDMI cable as a faulty cable wouldn't cause this?I've got no idea whether there is a known issue with Viera's or PS3 Slims as I've been looking constantly for 2 days now and can't find anything. Your help would be really really appreciated,Thanks Very Much!Previous Thread:Hi All,Many apologies if this has already been answered somewhere else but I really need some advice and was hoping someone would be able to help me.Fairly recently (it had never done this prior to a week or so ago) upon turning on my PS3 system I would get a grainy picture and strange depressions appearing on screen. When I say depressions I mean in the way that you get a a dark mark when you press your thumb against a laptop screen. These pop up randomly when there is movement on screen (i.e the floaty lines on the PS3 home menu), This is coupled with a sparkle like grainy effect. It's not overly detrimental to the viewing quality once I get into a game as there's usually so much more going on screen but obviously I want to get rid of it.Is this likely to be a problem with the PS3 system, my HDMI cable or my TV? All 3 are new and bought this side of Xmas. For reference the TV is a Panasonic Viera 32 inch 1080p, apologies I don't have the exact model number to hand.In addition, I've plugged the PS3 into the TV with the component cable and it still happens which leads me to believe its down to the PS3 considering the TV works fine with DVDs and Freeview.Any help would be appreciated!Thanks!Edit- Also I'm not sure if this makes any difference but it only seems to be happening since I was messing about and trying my HDMI cable in my laptop. Perhaps this has loosened a connection etc etc what with it being moved around? I'm going to try it on a different TV tonight to see if I can discount the TV as being the issue.Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
A faulty hdmi cable, can cause "sparklies", as to your "bruising" as you call it, a video might help more than a vague description..you do seem to be the only person who mentions this, so either a cable/connection issue, with the ps3/tv, possibly a faulty socket on one or the other, as it does it on component you say, or a faulty panel on your tv, are the prime culprits at the moment for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me, I will get a video made when I get home tonight, how do I go about getting that on here, is it a case of giving you a youtube link or something? Apologies I'm kinda new to this.I'm going to go through the process of elimination this evening, try the PS3 on the TV downstairs with the same cable, obviously if it doesn't happen it's the TV's fault etc etc.Apologies for being vague on the description, I'm finding it quite hard to explain. It's just a case of random thumb print size bruises popping up in random places on the screen, most noticable at the PS3 home screen. Hopefully it'll be clearer with a video.Thanks again

You need to narrow it down by process of elimination.

Try a new hdmi cable (don't get a stupidly expensive one - fiver from tesco or even less online). Try your ps3 on a different tv. You should then know if the issue is the ps3, cable, or tv.

My guess would be a faulty screen but you need to narrow it down.

Hope that helps...:smashin:

Hi Everyone,

I've uploaded a video to Youtube showing you the problem. Hopefully it should make things a little clearer and you can diagnose.

I've tried a new HDMI cable and TV and the problem is still occurring leaving me to think its def the PS3.

Thanks again for your help.

Link for youbtube video: YouTube - 23032010008.mp4

Have you tried another hdmi socket on the tv?

well, sparklies are caused by hdmi cables(they tend to look like the background of the ps3, around the "wave") , but they dont usually look like those blobs that are appearing.
If it was me, i would be looking to take the ps3 back, as that looks like a problem with the GPU, if you have tried replacement cables, and another tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom