1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update on Nad t752

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andywilliams, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi folks
    Having now had my nadt752 for 6days have now got used to its operations this is what ive got to report.
    Had problems with the power supply staining my tv had to move amp to lower shelf now ok[the transformer on the left hand side of the receiver is very big and heavy most of the weight of the amp is on this side 16kg].
    The remote is full learning and will copy any remotes commands includig digi box.
    Another good feature is the av presets you get 5presets which you can configure in anyway from the main menu .For eg if you wanted to play cds in stereo with just the fronts and sub it will save this setting to preset which you can call up at the touch of a button.
    Stereo playback using cds is excellent and thats just using my sony dvpns900dvd player.The tuner is very good too .
    So up to now iam getting to like this receiver more and more as each day passes and i will admit i did have my doubts if i had made the right choice.PS the av playback sounds great too.
    Gonzo.:D

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Nice to hear things worked out for you Gonzo. I'm still waiting for my 2011 :(

3. Rustam

Rustam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it support DTS 96/24 and DTS ES Discrete 6.1 ?

Rustam.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Rustam
    dts es6.1 discrete but not dts 96/24.
    Gonzo.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Gonzo ... sorry if you've answered this before but a few questions.

What speakers and sources are you running with your T752?

Did you have another AV Amp previously (curious for comparisons)?

How does the T752 sound for music in 2ch mode?

My brother in law is interested in getting into 5.1 home cinema but music is important to him too ... was wondering how good the NAD is considering their "Music First" claims about (previous) Home Cinema components they have produced.

Thanks

6. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if it's any help, but Richer Sounds are advertising the NAD T741 (which I have) for £199 in What HiFi.

Can't really compare it to much, but I'm very happy with it - currently running a pair of JMLab Chorus 706 fronts and the sound, to my ears, is fabulous - at under £200 it's a bargain IMHO.

regards
    Paul

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi sounddog
    My speakers at the moment are mission m71is on stance stands mission m7c2 centre m7ds rears and B&W asw675sub .I will be upgrading my front three speakers in the near future.At the moment i play my cds through my dvd player sony dvp-ns900v the stereo play back in 2 channel is superb you can also defeat all tone controls to get a cleaner signal.
    I think with a dedicated cd player things can only get better.
    My amp previously was the yamaha htr5540 so its a bit unfair comparing the two as the nads twice as expensive.
    The yamaha sounded bright in two channel with the mission speakers the nad is a lot smoother and controlled the bass is a lot tighter.
    Hope this answers your questions.
    Gonzo.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Thanks

9. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hutchingsp
    Could you give us a short review of your nad 741, if you publish your review it could be the 1st ive seen on the net!!

You could make history:clap:

Quite interested in getting a 741 esp at £200 from RS, though would prob like to get the 752 instead.

Although im abit worried about the stories about how hot the 752 gets, I wonder is the 741 the same?

Cheers
    John

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Jonny m
    Ive had my t752 on all morning playing cds at a decent volume the amp was no warmer than my previous yamaha amp ,which was just warm to the touch not very hot.
    Ive read on some of the threads on this forum where some peoples amps get so hot they cant touch them.
    Also placing the amp with enough space around it can also affect how hot the amp gets.
    Gonzo.

11. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    gonzo
    Where is your 752 situated?

Cheers
    John

12. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi jonny m
    My nad t752 is on the bottom shelf of my tv stand.
    It is open at the sides with a narrow back bone at the back there is about 2'' space above to the top shelf [panasonic tx-32pl10].
    Gonzo.:)

13. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi gonzo

Was I reading right in that they say the NAD HC kit needs about 2 weeks to properly run in??

So how is your 752 sounding now??

Its just that I am thinking about either replacing my yam dsp a5 with a nad model(741 or 752) or complementing it with a nad stereo amp as Im quite satisfied with its movie performance. Could you mention again the differences between your yam/nad in stereo and movies and here is the hard one - what price would you have to pay for a equivalent nad stereo amp to get the same quality of stereo out of your 752???

Cheers
    John

14. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me about it - they seem to be very popular in Australia going from the newsgroups.

I ended up doing a bit of a leap of faith with mine since nobody with demo facilities had one in stock, but Richers said they'd exchange it if I wasn't happy.

Build quality is impeccable, with the usual battleship grey NAD appearance - I like it, others hat it.

Connectivity is pretty much what you'd expect, one thing that some people may find a problem is that the speaker binding posts won't take banana plugs, bare wires only - bit of a bugger to get the cable in, but how often do you change speaker cables once it's in...

The LCD display is a very simple "calculator" type, not the dot-matrix sort of thing you get on some receivers, there's no facility to rename the inputs or anything like that.

There is no fan, just the usual ventilation grilles on the top, and top half of the sides, I'd say it runs warm to hot, but I don't have much to compare it to.

Remote, well it's in the manual - pretty intuitive, sort of glows in the dark.

Surround Sound is very good IMHO - I'm afraid I'm not very good with the usual flowery words that seem to go with most magazine reviews, I use it in a bedroom setup, so I don't have a perfect speaker layout and there's furniture everywhere, in other words if I had ten grands worth of Tag kit it probably wouldn't sound it's best....

Stereo is also a big step up on my previous Sony receiver, basically the NAD makes music listenable, whereas the Sony always sounded a little odd (again, not sure of the words to best describe it).

I use the NAD with a Tannoy MC centre, JMLab Chorus 706 fronts, and Mordaunt Short MS05 rears, a "right old mix" - I don't have a sub, so can't comment on that side of things.

My understanding having mailed Lenbrooks service department is that the main difference between the T7x1 and T7x2 series is Pro Logic II support.

In short, for the price I paid (£249) I'm delighted, at £199 it's a steal I think.

If you want to know anything specific let me know and if I can help I will.

regards,
    Paul

15. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gonzo,

Can you let us know what sort of speaker settings there are (T752), distance, delays, subwoofer crossover etc. Really want to know how configurable the surround setup is.

DTTB

16. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi folks
    Sorry i havent replied sooner ive been pike fishing in scotland the last couple of days.
    To start with ' jonny m the differance between the nad and the yamaha is that the nad is very detailed you can hear stuff that you never really heard before. Listening to music on the nad is very easy on the ears the yamaha sounded very bright with the mission speakers this has now gone.Iam know audiophile but what iam listening to now is much more enjoyable than it was with the yam.I think if you are happy with your yam for movies you would get good results from one of nads stereo amps the best thing to do is try and get a demo if possible and make your own decisions from there.
    Down to the bone the nad is very versatile in that you can assign any device to any input. The speaker distances can be set in feet or metres from listening position delay settings are configured automatically from the distance settings that you programe in.The xover settings for the sub are as follows 40hz-60hz-80hz-100hz-120hz-150hz-200hz.You get five presets that you can configure in any way using any settings from the menu. cheers Gonzo. :)

17. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Scotland!!??

You should have come to visit! :)

18. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi gonzo,hutchingsp

I'm in scotland as well and only 100m from a salmon and trout river, one of the neighbours nearly caught his first salmon last week, I could have spent some time helping you run in your amp :p

Thanks for the info regarding the music performance of the amp, Im also interested if you find much of a difference in movies??

If at all possible I would rather go the one box solution, I'd be housing it in a ikea tv cabinet with glass doors (to keep out my very very inquisitive 13 month old), although I've removed most of the back for ventilation the sides will have to stay and on the bottom shelf my yam dsp a5 only has about 1" before the middle shelf. So im not sure if a nad AV amp would live happily in our enclosure.

At the moment im using the philips 963 internal decoders for cd/dd/dts + sacd (which is very good BTW) instead of the dsp a5's as the 963's sound so much better it's hard to believe, makes the dsp a5 look really bad actually.

hutchingsp

Thanks alot for the review, when you say it runs warm to hot is it in a cabinet or sitting on a table??

Thanks all

John