Update from the Sky Anytime team

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Member 193253, May 1, 2007.

1. Member 193253

Member 193253

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've been working hard to bring you Sky Anytime on TV for several months, and in the last few weeks since launching the service, we’ve been keenly reading your comments. It's great to get feedback from those of you using the service. We’re glad that many of you have said you’re enjoying Sky Anytime on TV and that it has meant that you’ve watched programmes that you may otherwise have missed or not considered. Some of you also have questions about this new service; we hope that this post will answer them.

Who can get it?

We’re introducing Sky Anytime on TV in phases to those of you with Sky HD and more recent Sky+ boxes – that’s around a million in total. Sky HD customers received the service at the end of March and since 24 April we’ve been working our way through the latest Sky+ boxes.

You can check whether or not you have a compatible box by pressing the Services button on your remote control, then selecting 4 – System Setup, followed by 5 – System Details. The first four digits in the Version Number field will tell you what type of box you have and whether you can receive the service. Version codes starting with 4F21, 9F22, 4E21 and 4E30 are compatible with Anytime on TV.

If you have a compatible box but you haven’t yet received the Anytime on TV service, please keep your box on standby while you’re not using it. We will send the software out to you and the “Anytime TV” button will appear on your screen sometime soon.

How it works

Sky Anytime on TV works by saving a selection of the week’s best TV programmes to a separate, reserved section of the hard drive on your Sky+ or Sky HD box. In this way, the programmes are ready for you to watch when you want to watch them.

We will be delivering at least one new programme every day, so you will notice that programmes which have been in your Anytime menu for a while will eventually be deleted to create space for new ones.

Anytime on TV delivers the same selection of shows to all compatible Sky+ boxes. Those of you with Sky HD receive a different selection of programmes (with the majority being in HD).

If you are missing an Anytime show it may be because your box was in use when we tried to deliver the programme. We deliver each programme a number of times to maximise the chance of your box receiving it.

Your box is most likely to pick up the Anytime shows if it is in stand-by mode overnight, but don't worry if you forget to switch it to stand-by before going to bed. Our new energy-saving auto stand-by feature is designed to do it for you if your box is inactive for two hours from 11pm onwards. Please remember that your Sky+ and Sky HD boxes do still carry out your own planned recordings even when they’re in stand-by mode.

What’s on?
    Sky Anytime on TV already showcases some of the top shows from Sky One, Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Sky Arts, National Geographic, The History Channel, Biography, Crime & Investigation Network, Adventure One, Disney and Cartoon Network, and their respective HD channels.

We’re working towards bringing you new and varied content on Anytime on TV and we’ll keep you updated as soon as new channels join the service.

Your recordings
    Some of you have expressed concerns that Sky Anytime on TV will affect your box's capacity to record programmes of your choice. Don't worry, your personal recording capacity remains unaffected by this new service. Also your planned recordings will always take priority over any Sky Anytime on TV downloads.

Opting out
    If you really want to, you can opt out of Sky Anytime on TV by turning it off from the Services menu. This will not affect your personal recording capacity because Sky Anytime on TV uses additional hard drive space which is reserved for bringing you new and exciting services.

Trouble shooting
    Some Sky HD customers have asked why their TV screen resolution remains in standard definition during playback of a Sky Anytime on TV HD programme. To stop this happening, we suggest you change your picture settings from Automatic to the appropriate level for your television. You can do this by pressing Services on your remote control, choosing 4 – System Setup, 1 – Picture Settings, and in HD Resolution Output choosing either 576, 720p or 1080i (depending on your television) instead of Automatic. Once you have saved these new settings you should no longer experience this problem.

Some of you have mentioned a problem which results in certain Sky Anytime on TV programmes failing to record. We’re pleased to confirm that this problem should now be fixed following our latest software update on 19th April.

A small minority of you have also mentioned experiencing system faults such as empty planners or being stuck in stand-by mode after the software upgrade to your Sky+ boxes. If you experience this, please switch your box to stand-by mode and reboot your system by switching it off at the mains and then turning it back on again after two minutes. If this fails to rectify the problem please call customer services on 08702 404040

Thanks again for all your feedback. We hope you found this update useful. We’ll continue to read and listen to your comments and use them to keep developing the Sky Anytime on TV service.

Sky Anytime Team

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to mention a possible bug in the Anytime menu.
    I'm connected to my Panansonic 50PX60 (plasma) via HDMI. (HD Box)
    I find the screen goes blank when scrolling around the Anytime menu.
    The screen soon re-syncs/handshakes, but make scrolling/searching difficult.
    It never loses sync in any of the normal menus/when channel surfing or at any other time.
    Anytime has "live previews" of the program content. Could this be effecting the normally solid link? (ie the switch between clips is upsetting the HDMI transmitter)
    I have my box set to 1080i (ie not auto etc), and have tried 720p with the same results...:(

Any ideas??? :)

Ps... Loving the content so far, and i am watching things i wouldn't normally try :thumbsup:

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Posted in wrong forum, this is for non sky satellite, for people that would rather not pay sky to watch tv .
    Your post reads like an add to me.:)
    Welcome to the forums by the way.

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Stuart is aware of the anytime team posting here, the thread has been left here because its pertinent to both versions of sky and saves posting the thread twice.

Nice to see it launched finally, have watched a few of the shows recorded, a few others im contemplating (sky+ box here).....not sure about Spongebob Squarepants tho...heh

in regards to the autoswitch off, can this be overridden? reason i ask is while unemployed I happen to stay up till around 6am most nights, quite often on the computer either surfing or gaming, i have TV on in the background and quite often am watching channels like Paramount Comedy when they do whole weekend Frasier or Mash sessions.......vaguely annoying to glance over and see a little blue box telling me my machine is going in to standby in the middle of one of Frasiers tirades against his brother........i'm aware the majority of Skys audience wont necessarily be awake that late and less will be watching the same channel without touching the remote for 2 hours, but surely a menu option wouldnt be that difficult to pop in?

:)

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Since anytime has launched, my box makes noise all the time and crashes regularly when I watch an HD program which is still being recorded via the planner. I'm concerned with anytime enabled that the SkyHD box, while playing back and recording HD material, and also no doubt downloading Anytime material that the box is maxing out its bandwidth and shutting down.

I don't seem to be alone with these symptoms.

I do like the fact that Lost is shown on Anytime without adverts though.

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i guess you can just turn off anytime in the menu when you know you want peace and quiet or will have lots of stuff going on in regards to recording....then turn it on again the next day etc...

yes, the lack of adverts is a rather nice feature...heh...saves keep picking up the remote to fast forward...lol

7. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Sky Anytime Team - Thanks for this but did you not forget to mention the Copy Function Bug which was also introduced with the HD Anytime update and reported on the 22nd March 2007. This effectively cripples the copy facility by making the SCART/S-Video outputs default to 4:3 Letterbox. It stays that way until you have gone in and out of Picture Settings.

Is there a way of reverting to the previous software until you eventually get round to fixing it? Being extremely fed up with the long delay, I have also written to Subscriber Services.

Regards

8. czytt

czytt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Can we at least have an option to kill the sound on the Anytime menu?

It's irritating to have to mute my amp every time.

I would prefer not to have the preview window at all. It's basically a waste of space, meaning I have to scroll through more screens to find out what's on.

Just don't ever, ever do this to main EPG (unless it's optional)!

Jerry

9. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yep, there's a setting in the sky+ settings menu to turn this on / off

10. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I copied off three programs in a go yesterday, the closer, conviction & law and order. The closer had the letterbox fault, the two hallmark channel programmes however did not. Not sure if this is down to it picking up a widescreen switching singnal from the E4 progs and not hallmark, or if it only effects the first recording of a group.

11. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Any news when the Thomson boxes are going to be updated ?

12. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    you a 4e21 like me?

13. chrislynch

chrislynch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a 4E21 too!

Would love to know when this is going to happen so that I can watch everything in my planner just in case everything get deleted from it!

14. The Vin

The Vin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Manufacturer - Pace

Model Number - 4.008pi

Version Number - 9F2307

Operating System Version - 1.31B00

EPG Software Version - sky+4.10.c

This is the info from my "Reconditioned" box that was supplied by Sky around 3 weeks ago. The version number doesn't exactly fit the "9F22" you mention. I was told when taking this that I would be able to get Anytime when it rolled out & someone on here has suggested that I have a factory upgraded "PVR2.5" that should be OK. I'm still to see the Anytime function though. Anyone else in my boat ?

15. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Its a shame Sky are too scared to release the Anytime space to us if we switch off Anytime. Obviously they could still reserve the space they need for the other "new and exciting services".

If ever a market needed opening up to cometition...

16. dennisowl

dennisowl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Vin

I had the same Pace box as yourself delivered last week as a replacement for my 'faulty' PVR3. I was also assured that Anytime would work after the engineer had married the card to the box. So far - nothing. I haven't tried a forced software update as that's what killed the last one.

According to the engineer, they are not offering PVR3s as replacements as there is a 'glitch' in the power supply that causes them to fail (mine was 16 months old). Not sure what to believe really as my box worked fine until the recent upgrade.

I have escalated my complaint to Mr. Murdoch so I'll let you know if I hear anything useful.