Update from Harmony 525 to 885

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by ebony, Mar 19, 2006.

1. ebony

ebony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've recently bought a harmony 525 and I am more than happy with the remote and especially happy with the customer service and the freephone call center who sorted out any setup issues I had.

I have previously had 3 other all in one remotes a pronto, a kameleon and a philips hard button device, all that never worked properly, so when I was purchasing a harmony I was cautious and went for the cheaper model.

Now I know its more than capable of doing the job I wish I had bought the 885. So I intend to sell the 525 to a friend ( for £30 and buy the 885 )

Do you 885 owners feel it is worth the extra money, or I am mad and just stick with what I've got. ( the extra money is not a deciding factor ).

I only have 4 activities and 4 pieces of equipment to control so its not the most complicated of setups; but I do like the favorite channels and the colour screen on the 885.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I had a 655 then got an 885 i like the 885 the missus prefers the 655......while not a necassary upgrade the 885 has some nice touches not available on the 525 which may be worth the extra for you

3. ebony

ebony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks.

my slight quibbles about the 525 is the way it creakes when selecting any of the buttons near the top half of the remote, and it doesn't feel too strong because its also very thin towards the top half of the remote - obviously both connected issues.

Also its not that easy to select the activity button because of its positioning, the type of button it is and its very thin.

I am assuming the 885 is more sturdy, better build quality and the buttons more responsive ?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    sound like the 655 is what you need, my missus has the same complaints about the 885 you have about the 525

5. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't think the 885 is worth the extra.

The colour is pretty pointless, the icons that the software puts behind the text activity descriptions add nothing and obscure the text. The charging cradle is very vibration sensitive, mine works, but you're never quite sure that it will charge properly!

The worst thing is the buttons. Although they are a lot better than a touch screen remote, they are too close together and don't have enough relief, so you have to look at the control to use it. The 525s buttons are much more useable in this respect.

On the other hand the 885 has a nicer shape and looks better and it has 8 activities available on the screen rather than 4.

Bill

6. ebony

ebony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks.

I think I'll stick with the 525 and see what comes out over the next year.

7. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Couldn't disagree more! The icons work fine (you can change the text size if you find that's a problem. The buttons are fine, I don't find I have to look at it to use it at all.

The cradle that came with mine works fine - it doesn't have that 'on-off' beeping problem that was reported shortly after it was released - perhaps they changed something later in the production run?

See if you can borrow one and choose for yourself.

8. ebony

ebony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got to try one out at comet today, and decided I will get one to replace the 525. Comet price was £180 though.

Had a look on cclonline today and ordered for £127.:thumbsup: