Answered UPDATE :( AV Processor Upgrade Advice

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice please, I want to change my X6300H Denon and move into the world of processors.

I use my system in a living room setup which is a slightly difficult shape due to the open fireplace and conservatory, the system is only used for movies so this is my priority.

I have a budget of around 5k and not a penny more.

The only thing I know is I need the best possible room correction so this rules out any processors that use Audyssey.

I'm struggling a little here, these are the ones I'm considering in no particular order

lyngdorf 3400 (however Room perfect will only correct 2.1)
Emotiva XMC-1
Emotiva RMC-1
NAD M17
Anthem AVM60
Arcam AV860

Have I missed anything, I'm not any any particular rush but would like to make the change this year and will then look at changing my speakers next year, I can't do it all at once as I simply can't afford it.

Thanks for reading and hopefully for any for any recommendations and why

Andy

Last edited:
At that price point might want to consider the Marantz AV8805. Haven't heard this model, but did manage to get a listen to a members set-up with it's predecessor AV8802 and with his equipment (all top-notch gear) it sounded wonderfully dynamic and had a clarity that I haven't heard from many systems.

I see you have an XPA-5 in the mix, what are you going to add to provide the rest of the amplification?

At that price point might want to consider the Marantz AV8805. Haven't heard this model, but did manage to get a listen to a members set-up with it's predecessor AV8802 and with his equipment (all top-notch gear) it sounded wonderfully dynamic and had a clarity that I haven't heard from many systems.

I see you have an XPA-5 in the mix, what are you going to add to provide the rest of the amplification?

Thanks but as above I’m not interested in processors that use Audyssey.

I plan to add extra channels the my XPA through Karma or May add another power amp.
I will only be running a 7.1 system as I don’t want to put Atmos speakers into the ceiling and after trying modules they didn’t add enough for me.

:facepalm:my bad should have read your post more thoroughly.

Our processor of choice at this price point is the Anthem AVM60. ARC room correction is a favourite of ours and we install the AVM60 where we can subject to clients budget. We are installing one next week with an MK300 system.

Our processor of choice at this price point is the Anthem AVM60. ARC room correction is a favourite of ours and we install the AVM60 where we can subject to clients budget. We are installing one next week with an MK300 system.

Thanks for your reply, the AVM60 is on my list for sure.

Just trying to compile a short list

We can currently demonstrate Lyngdorf processing here and in April we will have an Anthem. We are in the process of building a new showroom.

As we are an independent Custom Installation company we take clients for demonstrations to our dedicated partner showrooms. Here we can demonstrate Anthem, Trinnov, Storm, Arcam and AudioControl in state of the art cinema rooms. We have too many products in our portfolio to have in one facility.

If you have available time we are happy to facilitate.

We can currently demonstrate Lyngdorf processing here and in April we will have an Anthem. We are in the process of building a new showroom.

As we are an independent Custom Installation company we take clients for demonstrations to our dedicated partner showrooms. Here we can demonstrate Anthem, Trinnov, Storm, Arcam and AudioControl in state of the art cinema rooms. We have too many products in our portfolio to have in one facility.

If you have available time we are happy to facilitate.

Great, thanks, I have a some holiday in early March so will book something in that week if ok with you.

Great, thanks, I have a some holiday in early March so will book something in that week if ok with you.
Absolutely. Drop me an email and I will arrange. Any investment at this level and above should be researched and the time is worth spending doing so. We have our reccomended systems and will work with clients to achieve the best end results that they can for their budget.

If you’re only thinking 7.1, then I’d also add the Classé Sigma and Primare SP33 to your list. Both come from more of a 2 channel background rather than AV so have fewer features but the sound quality is excellent if you like a natural, musical sound. They are both within budget but around £2-2.5k if you look at used examples. Classé used to be owned by B&W so are likely to have good synergy with your own speakers. There is also the Bryston SP-3 which used may be close to your budget but very rarely come up second hand.

I tried for ages getting a Nad on demo but failed as the UK distributor is pretty hopeless.

As I’m sure you know, it is ridiculously time consuming comparing processors especially with different EQ, so by all means go and hear them at dealers facilities to narrow down the shortlist but you need to hear them in your own room.

Good luck, keep us updated.

If you’re only thinking 7.1, then I’d also add the Classé Sigma and Primare SP33 to your list. Both come from more of a 2 channel background rather than AV so have fewer features but the sound quality is excellent if you like a natural, musical sound. They are both within budget but around £2-2.5k if you look at used examples. Classé used to be owned by B&W so are likely to have good synergy with your own speakers. There is also the Bryston SP-3 which used may be close to your budget but very rarely come up second hand.

I tried for ages getting a Nad on demo but failed as the UK distributor is pretty hopeless.

As I’m sure you know, it is ridiculously time consuming comparing processors especially with different EQ, so by all means go and hear them at dealers facilities to narrow down the shortlist but you need to hear them in your own room.

Doesn't the Classe use Audyessy, ruling it out straight away according to the OP's criteria?
And don't Primare eschew room correction altogether, as did Bryston up until the SP-4 (which offers Dirac, but only as an optional module)?

Thanks, don't know much about Classe or Primare so out of curiosity will take a look, however at the moment the Anthems are top of my list.

Doesn't the Classe use Audyessy, ruling it out straight away according to the OP's criteria?
And don't Primare eschew room correction altogether, as did Bryston up until the SP-4 (which offers Dirac, but only as an optional module)?
No, the Classé offers flexible manual parametric EQ so REW can be used for example to generate filters.

Yes, so if you feel you need EQ then you'd have to look at either off-board options or built in Sub EQ from the likes of Paradigm/JL Audio/Velodyne etc.

Just food for thought. I’ve had Arcams for the past 10 month, with an Arcam 860 for the past couple of months.

Upon demoing the new marantz 8805, it completely blew away the Arcam and Dirac.

Obviously horses for courses, my room is also quite decent in terms of treatment and shape, so room EQ isn’t haven’t to do too much.

But, in my room, Dirac sucked the life out of my system and audyssey sounds much better.

Just food for thought. I’ve had Arcams for the past 10 month, with an Arcam 860 for the past couple of months.

Upon demoing the new marantz 8805, it completely blew away the Arcam and Dirac.

Obviously horses for courses, my room is also quite decent in terms of treatment and shape, so room EQ isn’t haven’t to do too much.

But, in my room, Dirac sucked the life out of my system and audyssey sounds much better.

Thanks and noted, I guess I should listen to a Marantz before I completely discount.

I'm also interested in comparing an AVR & Processor side by side or as close as e.g the
Anthem 1120 & AVM60 and now the Marantz 8012 & 8805

Can I and should I hear a difference

Can I and should I hear a difference

You will get differing opinions on this. In my mind, you are giving your system the best opportunity to sound as good as it can do and I believe it does sound better.

I'm hearing so many good owner reviews about the 8805 I would be a fool not to seriously consider one.

I think I've narrowed my list to the following

Anthem AVM60
Anthem 720 or 1120 (really keen to compare these to the AVM60)
Marantz 8805

I've got a week off in early March so going to try and keep a day free to Demo although the wife has said we are also getting the paint brushes out (can't wait)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom