1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update 18 months on

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jmack, Nov 24, 2003.

1. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    toshiba 41wp16 / panny 4 series

thought i would do a little update to let everyone know how my plasma is getting on.

on december the 1st it will be 18 months old, i have 1880 hours on the clock,

i have no screen burn at all, no dead pixels, no buzzing,:D :D :D

my screen gets used for a wide variety of stuff 75% ntl/ 20% dvd/ 5% pc.

about 5 months ago i added a iscan ultra to the mix which has made a good improvement . mostly with sports ie. football and grand prix great picture.

added a arcam dv88+ aswell a few months ago , not much a can say about it that hasent been said before

:D :D :D

i do have a bit of lip sync trouble now and then due to the added iscan ultra processing , planning on sorting this with a denon 3803 no rush though .

all what ive learnt and bought are down to the people on here ,so big thanks to all you,

and for the fence sitters go on take the jump best toy i`ve ever bought,

so how are the other old times doing.

this is my third plasma

philips 9965 1 month (picture problems)
    pjilips 9964 1 week picture problems and missing row of pixels)
    toshiba 42wp16 18th months and going strong

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    generation 4 made for Panasonic. They are still trading off the back of that model. Good to see it's working well. let's just hope all the cost cutting on the generations 5 and 6 does not affect their lives.

3. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    jmack
    Glad to here your happy with your set up, always good to find out how someones got on with there purchase's. I myself am mearly a Plasma youngster compared with yourself having just dipped my toe (So to speak) I'am interested in your purchase of the Iscan Ultra though. I know the merits of this piece of kit is folklore around here but really wanted to know if you had gone for the ISU as a conections solution or purely to increase picture quality ??
    I'am undecided on whether to opt for one of these, but wonder to what extent picture quality would improve for the £500(ish) outlay of an ISU.
    My viewing split is prob 20%Sky/60%DVD/20%Gaming

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    60% dvd is this through a good quality progressive scan dvd player or pc if i dont think it will improve it much.

20% sky/ntl it will deffo help there with the croma bug. and with some jagged lines, and fast motion will be a bit smoother.

20% gaming not sure there never tried it.

as for extra connections well thats a big bonas.

my toshiba/panny 4 series came with vga/component/s-video/compo****e.

i have ntl going ito js yuc converter then to iscan. my dvd player goes straight into the plasma (component)

i`m not sure what plasma you have but the built in deinterlaser might be a good one where as you would not need a iscan ultra.

i paid £300 for mine new on ebay.

hope this helps

deman77 . maybe generation 4 was a vintage year;) ;)

5. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Had my series-4 Panasonic for 20 months now.

Had a problem at the start with it buzzing – mine is mounted on a brick/plaster wall though and some acoustic foam behind it has sorted this. Feeding it a prog scan signal seems to have made it quieter somehow as well.

Dvd player is a Pio 757ai connected via component.

Also have a JVC S-VHS deck with a Panasonic freeview box looped through it for the one TV programme I watch (Buffy!). Also watch all the Motogp/WSB/BSB.

95% of its use has been watching dvds with the remaining 5% split between TV and Dreamcast use.

No screen burn at all: I should add that I watch everything correctly – i.e. 4:3 with side bars/never zoom 2.35/1 films. Never ever use the ridiculous ‘Just’ stretch mode.
    No dead pixels either.

Completely happy with it now – I watch about 6-7 films a week on it and rarely get the need to fiddle with picture settings – have a daytime and a night-time setting and am getting a really natural film-like image. It’s well worth experimenting with dialling down the colour and sharpness settings IMO (Obviously the white level was knocked right back from new).

Glad I got it when I did; the fact that I’ve had the use of this screen for nearly 2 years now far outweighs (for me, anyway) the fact that I could now theoretically get a ‘better’ display a little cheaper. Think I paid about £3700 in April 2001.
    I think the only thing that would get me to upgrade is a 21:9 screen of the same height :D

7. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for that jmack

Input wise I'm using a Denon 3800 - component > VGA into a Panasonic PW6.

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Mr THX =>

Did you try the 3800 with the RGB2YUV converter?

How do you find the 3800 through VGA to the PW6? Did you just get a YUV2VGA cable or are you using a convertor?

I am looking at getting the PW6 to go with my 3800 and I am thinking of fine tuning my connectivity options ;)

Thanks

JJ

9. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Jasonjo

No I never tried the RGB >YUV converter, I didn’t want to pay out for one on a “what if” basis and I really knew I could go Component >VGA from the ‘3800’ anyway. Especially then to be stuck with it and have to sell it on. To tell the truth I did nearly buy a ‘JS RGB>YUV Converter’ but for my Sky box, due to the amount of time I watch Sky though and IMHO it doesn’t look at all bad on the PW6, (other people will say different - maybe its all in the signal/set up/ broadcast???) yes some of the lower bit rate channels look soft, but looking at Live football or BBC News the picture is superb (for Sky) Another point that would have given me problems was me then having four Component inputs, Sky – DVD – X Box – Cube, I was giving myself even more problems with switching all these (My AV10SE only accept two).

How do I find the picture through VGA – Sublime in a word, really, moving from RGB scart (which I used for a week) the detail improved no end, depth of field amazed me - how more 3D things could look - color and contrast could not be commented on as a straight before and after basis, due to the fact that different inputs have their own saved picture settings. I had already set the screen up (In RGB Scart > Scart Board) using UNAPIX 'The ultimate DVD - Platinum' set up disc's so when I moved over to the VGA (or PC) input firstly I thought things had gone a little astray. But then gained my senses and corrected the problem, at the time dual input from the 3800 and then split screen (half and half) on the PW6 easily showed up the change in input.
    As for the cable, well before ordering a propriety top notch Component > VGA cable I thought I ought to ‘really see if it would work’ so a good friend of mine (Toomanyhobbies) who frequents these forums made me one up from components. Don't get me wrong I'm not into skimping on cables, my current set up is fully wired with Nordost cable, all interconnects and speaker cable, inc rears and surround back. Thing is I prefer to demo anything before purchasing. What an excellent cable it is though, has given me all I have mentioned above and does such a good job that the seed of doubt in my mind now is that unless I spend upwards of £150 on a ready made Comp>VGA cable am I going to see another improvement for the money??? There’s no doubt as you know yourself the cruel twist of the upgrading bug caught by mostly (nay all) HI-Fi and AV enthusiasts means I will buy one of these cables but until then its doing me proud.

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks THX