Update 1.03 (Mechanical damage!!!)

COOPERMAN

Update 1.03 is out

Gran Turismo 5 v1.03 Update Brings Mechanical Damage

From GT Planet - "Fire up Gran Turismo 5 and you’ll be prompted to download another new update, version 1.03, weighing in at 149MB in size.
No information has yet been released about exactly what this update contains (though the official PlayStation blog hinted at incoming damage tweaks earlier today, thanks @hankolerd),
and GT5’s online servers are currently offline until 11:00PM EST.

UPDATE: The servers are back online and an in-game news notice has been posted, but it mentions nothing of exactly what changes v1.03 contains.
However, as can be seen in the online “My Lounge” options for an online race, a new “Mechanical Damage” setting is available for the event with three settings, as described by the scrolling information bar on the bottom of the screen:

• “None” – No mechanical damage.
  • “Light” – Mechanical parts can be damaged, but will “automatically be repaired after a short time has passed.”
  • “Heavy” – Mechanical damage will be more severe, and can only be repaired by making a pit stop. Damaged parts will be indicated with on-screen icons."

Ed the Penguin

Can't wait to try this!

gavan

If only PD had put as much work into developing the game during the almost six year wait since GT4 as they have since it was released .....

Seque

May i ask why you continue to post constant negative comments, when
a. you don't have the game, and b. nor do you intend on buying it. :confused:

malk

Cor blimey,thats well good news,so,it looks like ol Kaz,is coming true then.
Very good news,should be good for the new racing in the gt5 club eh?:)
Thats well cool,should make for much better racing,which means,people will have to be a bit more carefull,so you dont smash your car up,and ultimately lose.
Looks good eh?(just seen your post from you tube)
I wonder if it will cost anything to get fixed up??

Last edited:

gavan

May I ask how you 'know' that I won't buy the game?

You guessed right that I don't have it yet - I'm waiting for the price to come down and enough patches to come out to address the problems - but I will be buying it eventually (especially seeing as I bought a G25/Wheelstand pro in anticipation of its release quite some time back). It's just that I've taken a realistic view on the ridiculously long development time and the likely implications of that for the game .... Which is being proven correct.

Sorry if I upset anyone's fanboy sensibilities by criticising the obvious shortcomings of GT5 - I know how some do take criticism of the game personally for some reason.

Magus

May I ask how you 'know' that I won't buy the game?

You guessed right that I don't have it yet - I'm waiting for the price to come down and enough patches to come out to address the problems - but I will be buying it eventually (especially seeing as I bought a G25/Wheelstand pro in anticipation of its release quite some time back). It's just that I've taken a realistic view on the ridiculously long development time and the likely implications of that for the game .... Which is being proven correct.

Sorry if I upset anyone's fanboy sensibilities by criticising the obvious shortcomings of GT5 - I know how some do take criticism of the game personally for some reason.
I don't think you upset people it's just that reading your posts is like listening to a broken record.
YES we know, GT5 is not perfect & has loads of flaws but there is a reason that we continue to play it.

GREAT NEWS RE. Damage, BUT I want it for A-spec too!

Seque

You mentioned in an earlier post that you hadn't got it yet, it wasn't a guess. As for why you have no intention of buying it, well seeing as pretty much every post in this section of the forum is negative about the game, and you haven't even tried it yet, seems pretty logical that your never going to be happy with the game regardless of how good/bad it is.

And as usual, (like the majority of your posts in the section as well), you reply by accusing everyone of being a fanboy. Real mature. How about posting your negative thoughts once, in the moaning thread, and save everyone from having to read the same stuff over and over. You surely can't add any more negative comments until you have actually played the game.

I'm not bothered about people not happy with GT5, but rather bored of having to listen to the same moaning posts (whilst not even owning the game) in every thread regarding GT5.

gavan

You mentioned in an earlier post that you hadn't got it yet, it wasn't a guess. As for why you have no intention of buying it, well seeing as pretty much every post in this section of the forum is negative about the game, and you haven't even tried it yet, seems pretty logical that your never going to be happy with the game regardless of how good/bad it is.

And as usual, (like the majority of your posts in the section as well), you reply by accusing everyone of being a fanboy. Real mature. How about posting your negative thoughts once, in the moaning thread, and save everyone from having to read the same stuff over and over. You surely can't add any more negative comments until you have actually played the game.

I'm not bothered about people not happy with GT5, but rather bored of having to listen to the same moaning posts (whilst not even owning the game) in every thread regarding GT5.

Maybe you should spend more time actually playing the game and less time getting annoyed about people making valid criticisms of it on a discussion forum?

Would be a win-win situation as you seem to have a rather thin skin when it comes to criticism of GT5.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Sorry if I upset anyone's fanboy sensibilities by criticising the obvious shortcomings of GT5
Really? :rolleyes:

This patch adds mechanical damage to online only btw, so A spec and B spec will still be the same.
I'd really like to see it in A Spec... but B Spec, well "A. Dumas" (quite an appropriate name for him) isn't exactly gentle with my cars at the moment, I wouldn't fancy his chances of finishing some races if he can kill the car :laugh:

Seque

Maybe you should spend more time actually playing the game and less time getting annoyed about people making valid criticisms of it on a discussion forum?

Would be a win-win situation as you seem to have a rather thin skin when it comes to criticism of GT5.
I play the game every day, unfortunately i can't play computer games all day, and so like to view the forums during the day for a quick break, to talk and read info about the game.

As i have said before i don't care if you dislike the game, just rather wish you would post once in the moaning thread (thats what it is for you know) so everyone doesn't have to read through the same posts in every thread.

Rather than advising me how to spend my time, surely you have something better to do than post negative comments about a game you don't even own yet in every thread. :confused:

Mickus

This patch adds mechanical damage to online only btw, so A spec and B spec will still be the same.
Do we know if the damage is set to 'heavy' online, and you have to enter the pits to get it rectified, that there's a time penalty (as in the amount of time to fix the car) - relative to amount of damage that needs repairing? I.e, more damage = longer pit stops?

Seque

i'm not sure about that. You would lose more time if your car was heavily damaged trying to get to the pits, but not sure whether it would actually take longer to repair.

gavan

I play the game every day, unfortunately i can't play computer games all day, and so like to view the forums during the day for a quick break, to talk and read info about the game.

As i have said before i don't care if you dislike the game, just rather wish you would post once in the moaning thread (thats what it is for you know) so everyone doesn't have to read through the same posts in every thread.

Rather than advising me how to spend my time, surely you have something better to do than post negative comments about a game you don't even own yet in every thread. :confused:
Just trying to help - you seem to get very upset at criticism of GT5 but clearly there is a lot to criticise so if you take it so seriously you will just upset yourself, as seems to have happened here.

And I stand by my sarky comment earlier in this thread (I don't post in every thread as you claim) - PD had nigh on six years to bring out GT5 but despite the monster development time they managed to screw up on many aspects. Some trivial, some serious.

It's good that they are now coming out with a rapid series of hefty patches to try to address the flaws in the game but if they can make this kind of concentrated effort in the weeks following the release, they should have applied themselves in the preceding years and avoided the problem in the first place.

After all, the official GT 'supporter' (ahem) line was that the huge wait for it was because the game was being polished to perfection.

I just hope that they can manage the patches properly and not end creating an even bigger mess.

BYF

Surely there be an option for this in A-Spec and Arcade mode?

Mickus

i'm not sure about that. You would lose more time if your car was heavily damaged trying to get to the pits, but not sure whether it would actually take longer to repair.
Yeah, I'm relaxed about the implementation either way. TOCA 2's damage system relied on people just driving through the pits to fix damage - not realistic I know, but it was sufficient 'punishment' for not looking after your car. It would be nice to have a 'time scale to damage ratio' as it would stop people from driving like a wombat and completely trashing their car whilst they try to win at all cost.

Seque

Just trying to help - you seem to get very upset at criticism of GT5 but clearly there is a lot to criticise so if you take it so seriously you will just upset yourself, as seems to have happened here.

And I stand by my sarky comment earlier in this thread (I don't post in every thread as you claim) - PD had nigh on six years to bring out GT5 but despite the monster development time they managed to screw up on many aspects. Some trivial, some serious.

It's good that they are now coming out with a rapid series of hefty patches to try to address the flaws in the game but if they can make this kind of concentrated effort in the weeks following the release, they should have applied themselves in the preceding years and avoided the problem in the first place.

After all, the official GT 'supporter' (ahem) line was that the huge wait for it was because the game was being polished to perfection.

I just hope that they can manage the patches properly and not end creating an even bigger mess.
Unfortunately quotes like
If only PD had put as much work into developing the game during the almost six year wait since GT4 as they have since it was released .....
seem to be the majority of what you posted. I don't really see how that is helping anyone. What would be more help as already mentioned would be to post your negatives once in the moaining thread, and talk about the topics related to the thread.

I still don't see why everyone who enjoys the game or disagrees with your views is classed as a fanboy/gt supporter. It really is pretty pathetic tbh, especially when you don't own the game/haven't played it.

But don't want to drag this thread off topic anymore so will leave it at that.

Back on topic:
I'd imagine it would be quite a lot more difficult implementing into A spec. Seeing as you would have to rework the AI. Whereas with online it doesn't matter. You would of thought they would of included this from the beginning though, so who knows maybe we will get it in a future patch? i wouldn't hold your breath though.

museumsteve

boo that this doesn't add it to A Spec/Arcade :(

and also, I noticed after doing the update when I got to mode selection screen it asked me if I wanted to sign into PSN (my PS3 is set on auto sign-in). I assume this is an addition to help the loading times if you dont wanna play online, unfortunately it asked me 3 times in the first 2 minutes of being on the various screens lol
be nice to know what else was added in the update :)

Steven

Senior Moderator
That it? Could they not have thrown a bit of cheese in for the single player game?

I also read the latest 3.55 system firmware is needed?

Norlo

Banned
Because it's a public forum, and people can post what 'they think', as and when they like?

If you don't like what he say's, there is an ignore button :thumbsup:

But you can't expect people to not post their opinion (however valid or not you may think that opinion is) or question why they do so just because you don't like or agree with it, otherwise it would not be much of a 'forum', right? ;)

On Topic - good news online now has damage :) Not that it matters to me as i don't have internets at home at the mo but it'll be good to give it a bash (lol) when i am back online :) Surprised they didn't add it to A-spec tho, but maybe that is for another patch to come? Who knows.

Last edited:

BYF

This doesn't work in arcade mode, just tried it, no options for damage.

Just the usual slight cosmetic effects.

I thought PD said full damage would be added as an option into arcade mode with this update?

Norlo

Banned
wow do i see cosmetic damage too?
I think you are right JM! Driver's side at the front, looks like the bummer/wing has taken a ding.

I didn't think online had body damage? That video that xSequentialx posted, could it be someone took a vid from offline play and presented it as online??

GT5 damage is a bit like a meta-game with the main game really :rotfl:; does it unlock or is it going from the start? at what level does it unlock? what cars does it work on? does online have damage and is that body or mechanical? Constant surprises :laugh: :)

Last edited:

cabanatuan

Banned
I think you are right JM! Driver's side at the front, looks like the bummer/wing has taken a ding.

I didn't think online had body damage? That video that xSequentialx posted, could it be someone took a vid from offline play and presented it as online??

GT5 damage is a bit like a meta-game with the main game really :rotfl:; does it unlock or is it going from the start? at what level does it unlock? what cars does it work on? does online have damage and is that body or mechanical? Constant surprises :laugh: :)
Yea could be a fake.

thats what practically got me off my seat because the update is only for mechanical damage not cosmetic!

Anyone at home not working lol. someone needs to try it and report back asap.

Seque

Cosmetic damage has been in the online version on some cars from the beginning. The premium racing cars have the most damage.

YouTube - Gran Turismo 5 - Online mechanical damage test (v 1.03)

Here is another vid, if for some reason you thought the video was faked. Which would make no sense anyway, seeing as mechanical damage is disabled for offline mode.

Also why can i still see quoted posts with the ignore function :confused:

Trending threads

Top Bottom