1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upconvert to 1080i

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jules19, Jul 8, 2005.

1. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a v brief question:

i saw all the press releases for the new S lifestyle series from denon- the s-101 and the s-301.

apparently the latter of the two can upconvert to high definition resolutions over HDMI, 720p and 1080i

so would you think that this bit of kit could be classed as HD ready ???

previously I had read that it could only upconvert video over component , but this latest round of press releases say it can do it over HDMI.

any input appreciated- you guys have got from now until august to get back to me (the releases dates for said machines)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The HD Ready label only applies to displays (or so I believe).

A bit hazy on this but I thought it was the other way around and the majority of DVD players with the capabilty of scaling an image would only allow this via a DVI or HDMI connection.

Nice looking bit of kit though:)

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I have a Denond 3910 which can also upconvert to 720p or 1080i over HDMI or DVI-D.

Picture is better than regular DVD if you are watching on a good HD panel. (LCD or Plasma).

Still, this IS NOT true HD as the source material (ie the DVDs) arent HD.

True HD will be an HD format like Blu Ray or HD DVD on an HD panel that can handle HD resolutions.

Just because its an LCD or a plasma doesnt mean its true HD.

The resolution should support a minimum of 1280X720 (720p) or the optimum HD resolution of 1920X1080 (1080i/p)

The only other thing you would need is an HDMI or DVI-D conection.

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    to Add to AML. your DVI-D socket needs to be HDCP complient and both 720p and 1080i signals must be accpeted at 50 and 60hz for a display to be classed a HD panel

5. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply guys,

just to let you know, I have a supposedly hd ready tv- supports formats at both 50hz and 60hz and has hdmi port on the back of the set.

so based on what has been written, will the new denon lifestyle series be able to handle the new HD dvd's??? or am i best waiting for a newer version to arrive?

6. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    No there are no commercial HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players available in Europe.

7. jules19

jules19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with this not being released until august perhaps this system may be able to play hd dvd???

is it worth spending 900quid or should one wait until true hd dvd systems are on the market?

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

HD-DVD is a totally different beast to the current DVD spec, no domestic DVD player on the UK market now will handle the blue laser discs.

You will be waiting a long time for an affordable system to be on the UK market and certainly at a much higer price point then your £900 for this model. I suspect you would get good performace and enjoyment from this system and you can then add a HD-DVD player at a later date assuming you have a suitable HD Ready display since HDMI is a requirment (at least on paper).