Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

upconvert in amp or not ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jimbowley, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I buy a more expensive amp (eg yam 750 instead of 450) I can upconvert s-vid to component in the amp. This has the advantage then of not having to change channel on my PWD6 compared to feeding the s-vid straight to the pwd6 (i have the dual slot component and s-vid board).

Anyone have an opinion on whether there would be any noticable PQ difference between the 2 routes?

I'll probably get the bigger amp anyway, just to cover all options.

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Plenty of threads on this one. But basically on a technical level it seems to be that no imporvement will take place. However I noticed a lot of difference when upconverting a composite feed, not sure if you'd see a vast imporvement upcoverting component.

I certainly see it as a convience factor rather than it will improve PQ. To improve PQ I convert (i.e. scart to component) then feed into the amp.

Hope this helps!

3. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise I need to trawl through the past messages really, but i'll risk flames and ask:

It is possible/do any dvd players output progressive video over s-vid connection.

There are loads of cheap 2nd hand AV amps with s-vid switching. So I'm starting to wonder if component is necessary. Problem, as with all AV, is that you don't know what you're missing until you try the best. :(

As my cables are only going to be .5m to amp, 1.0m to plasma, I don't think cable loss and interference are going to be big issue.

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The first thing to do is post what kit you have, what out/inputs they have, then hopefully it will be resolved.
    I have kit looped thru RGB to plasma/Pc and DVD to component, though could do all through component.
    Ged

5. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pwd6 with bnc input board. Was planning to buy DVD with component out, freeview with either component out or s-vid out (pace twin), and an AV receiver.

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    What you can do is buy a Freeview box, convert the RGB scart to component, send this to the amp. Ensure when you buy the DVD it has component and send this to the amp.Finally, send the amp's component out to the plasma.
    Make sure the amp you choose has 2 component inputs, this will then do the av/audio switching.
    Speaking from experience, the Thomson or Fusion may offer a more stable Freeview box.

7. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could dvd players output progressive 'streams' over s-vid connection? (technical question)
    And do they? (product question)

cheers, jim

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Progressive through component, not sure about HDMI which carries upscaled outputs.

9. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    That would be a 'no' on both counts.

10. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just to add that if you are looking for a Freeview box that outputs via Component, the Netgem box does.