1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upconversion Quality??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rscott4563, Jan 18, 2004.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a Denon 3803 and I will be using a Lumagen Vision to feed my plasma. I will be feeding my DVD player and Xbox in to my 3803 via component and then up to the Lumagen, my Tivo and Ntl however will have to be converted from RGB to S-Video (using JS converter) and then (and heres my question) either in to the 3803 which will upconvert to the component output to the lumagen or I could just take the S-Video from the JS converter straight to the Lumagen. Will running the S-Video through the 3803 be better or worse than going straight to the Lumagen, will the 3803 upconversion add any noise or artifacts??
    Using the 3803 would be easier as it would only mean 1 cable to the Lumagen and switching via the 3803 for all sources.
    But I was thinking the direct S-Video might produced the better picture.

Any advice??

Cheers

Ryan:smashin:

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    why not try it and find out? and see which looks better.

3. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that, I will try all options when all the kit is setup to see what my own eyes tell me, but I was just wondering if there was a concensus either way as to the quality of the upconversion of receivers in general or the Denon 3803 in particular??

Cheers

Ryan