1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming titles lacking DTS -why?!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by chris6364, Aug 8, 2003.

1. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    REGION 1:

Its seems strange that Universal launched The Fast and The Furious, first time round, including a thumpin' DTS soundtrack, and yet on the franchises second outing, it appears we'll just be getting a DD soundtrack.

Universal appears to be doing this on a few upcoming films, including The Hulk (which is spread over 2 discs so surely can't be a space issue) and Bruce Almighty.

I cannot get my head around this! Anyone know if i'm correct or have i got my wires crossed?

It seems pretty unlikely then, that Region 2 will do any better, recent Universal releases (such as the Bourne Identity) have been identical, although in the past they've done odd things with Region 1 releases (remember The Mummy Returns -dts on all region except 1!)

It seems the only studio to continuously support DTS is New Line Cinema, who have some of the best DTS tracks around, in fact, they tend to go one step further, offering Dolby EX and DTS-es on all their recent titles (Final Destination 2, Blade 2, About Scmhidt to name a few). And it also seems they can produce top class DVDs every time, superb trasfer, excellent surround sound, in particular the Infinifilm line, they should give other studios a lesson in how to produce a fantastive DVD.

What are your thoughts...

2. Fusionator

Fusionator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does seem strange that Universal doesn't support DTS sound on any of the newely announced titles like The Hulk or 2 Fast 2 Furious.
    Red Dragon was released with DTS sound as was Signs to name a few discs but not in America.
    I can agree with you that New Line Cinema does put out fine DTS tracks on several of their releases but I do hope that other studio's will continue their support for the format.
    Fox is coming with X-Men 2 and The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen this fall and Buena Vista will release Pirates Of The Caribbean and I hope DTS is on them all.

I can say this though......the region 02 versions of The Hulk and 2 Fast 2 Furious will have DTS sound on them, at least in my country when they are released.
    The Hulk is also getting DTS in France so I think in the UK it will also have DTS.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    It's obvious isn't it? They'll release a Special Special Edition 6 months after the original is released, and include the dts soundtrack then.

4. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats what i thought when i read the specs for the hulk and f.a.t.f.2.

:confused: :mad: :nono: :thumbsdow

5. richdmx

richdmx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Especially after Fast and Futrious 1 had a good DTS soundtrack :)

6. Mike Heel

Mike Heel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why hasn't The Two Towers got a DTS soundtrack?

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,236
    As Smurfin says above .

They did this last year with LOTR normal disc then brought it out with the special 4 disc extended version.

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    It's marketing tbh, plain and simple.

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,078
    All the buena vista titles seem to be following a set pattern of release with DD, then re-release 6 months later in 2 disc form with dts.

10. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think i have a pretty decent setup so why cant i tell any difference from dd to dts apart from dts is a little more bassey(is that a word shall i patent it???????????????)

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,078
    Don't mean to knock it, but the processing in the Sherwood could be letting you down a little.

12. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    changing it to a pioneer vsx912 what do you think??