1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming releases in June....

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Floodedstatue, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I am certainly looking forward to June 7th......3 immense albums set to explode onto the scene:

VELVET REVOLVER (Slash, Duff & Matt from Guns N Roses and Scott from Stone Temple Pilots) - Contraband (Bonus DVD Version)

DATSUNS - Outta Sight / Outta Mind

HOPE OF THE STATES - The Lost Riots (Ltd Edition)

Get your wallets out for these three! Rock on :devil:

2. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Been disappointed by what I've heard of HOTS so far given the amount of press praise they've had. I was going to pick up the album 'blind' as it were, but the recent single 'The Red...' just doesn't do anything for me so I may have to 'acquire' it first.

3. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've been impressed with HOTS so far, not blown away. I like 'The Red, The White....' the most of the singles I've heard, and I'm hoping the album will be as good

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    Oh yeah.....can't wait and i've pre-ordered the Jap version as well, as it has a bonus track on it!

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Already released.........Mission of Burma OnOffOn , to vinyl or not to vinyl :smashin: that is the question.

6. Sam41

Sam41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also the Killers Hot Fuss on the 7th and the awesome Razorlight's debut on the 21st.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    the jap version has been posted......will be in my grubby hands within a few days!

8. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've heard bits of both of these bands, and I'm not really impressed. I've heard more of Razorlight's album (about 6 tracks) and it's all pretty samey, and The Killers sounds pretty lame

9. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Really looking forward to HOTS, The Killers and The Datsuns. I missed the Datsuns live unfortunately, but apparently they were great. If their new album is anything like their old one it's not to be missed. I've seen HOTS live twice now and I like them a lot, not as much as the Datsuns, but still excellent.

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Do yourself a favour and buy some music that isnt a blatant rip off of ac/dc, oasis, the stones, Iggy...............blah, blah, blah. Sorry, just my opinion of the Datsuns, I just hate rip off bands.

Try Mission of Burma's new album OnoffOn, proper rock music and no excuses. Or just settle back with some classic ac/dc (Highway to Hell), or Iggy Pops (The Idiot or Lust for Life) or the Stones (Let it Bleed or Exile on Mainstreet).

11. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Karkus - I like the old stuff too mate, but do yourself a favour and move on a bit. The Datsuns are obviously influenced by older bands, but so are all of the bands you mentioned so does that make them rip-offs too?? Someone's always plagiarising someone else....s**t happens

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    As you rightly say, all bands are influenced in some way. Take Oasis, typical Beatles influence, but at least they do it their way. But with the Datsuns, moving on is just not applicable, its manufactured rock, each track sounds just like a band thats been before, like they are trying to please all of the people all of the time.

Oh yeah....and the moving on a bit The Datsuns, The Libertines, The Rapture, M83, The Darkness, Zutons, Thrills, Kings of Leon, A Perfect Circle, Athlete, Audioslave, Air, and you will know us by the trail of dead, Avalanches, Flaming Lips, BRMC, Strokes, McClusky, Calexico, System of A down, Cult of Luna, Sikth, Cooper Temple Clause, Dillinger Escape Plan, Lostprophets, Constantines, Vines, Hives......... to name but a fraction of the albums bought over the last couple of years..

Im very open to new bands, as you can see, including the revered Datsuns. I just dont happen to think they are very good. You may as well buy the genuine article, not the copy.

13. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    So you dont like The Datsuns. That's all you should have said. As for the 'rip-off' bands thing, I still think you're contradicting yourself...and The Datsuns are one of the few that do it well

14. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I am contradicting myself in one way, I gave them an OK ish review back in 2002 (nothing deep and meaningful mind you), but listening to them again a year later I must have been on the happy juice. But I have contributed to their bank balance, so feel justified in criticising them.

All the other bands mentioned in my previous post......Strokes, Hives, Vines (excepting their latest album), Libertines and of course the one that I cant mention due to a massed attack by other forum members (begins with W and has Stripes) all have a slightly different take on things and write strong songs, even if they do draw on other groups such as MC5 and The Stooges. But The Datsuns just do a garage version of ac/dc its just very average.........then along comes Jet (aaggghhhh stop, stop, thats enough we are being force fed on a diet of garage bands).

This is why I mentioned bands like Mission of Burma (this is a brand new album by the way) theres lots of other good music around, The Streets, Franz Ferdinand, The Walkmen, The Shins, Interpol, The Music (released at the end of this year :clap: hope they have progressed ).

Do you really think The Datsuns have lots to offer compared with those bands ?

The End

15. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I agree there was not much progression in The Datsuns first album, but you never know, the new album might just have moved the bar up a bit. We'll see.

The End.

16. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just because they're a rip off doesn't make them bad. Everyone has to get their ideas from somewhere.