1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming Philips LCD 32PF9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Anjou, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Anjou

Anjou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I was planning to buy the 30PF9975 but I just read the specs on the upcoming 32PF9986, which sound very interesting. However, I'm a bit confused on one point - the screen says it does progressive and even lists 720p but doesn't have phono component inputs or a normal VGA connector. However, it does have a DVI socket.

While I can see that you may be able to buy a VGA to DVI convertor for older PCs, how could you connect something with a normal YUV progressive component input to this screen?

Or is this another classic Philips getting it only 99% right.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No component inputs? That's a bu99er. No Xbox connection then :( And I thought this may be the one for me. Sigh...

3. Anjou

Anjou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
  4. Anjou

Anjou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Actually, the DVI is a DVI-I interface, which means it supports both digital and analogue signals. Maybe Phirrips isn't so daft after all if you can get component to DVI-I leads.

5. fishyuk

fishyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just glad they've added DVI, still can't quite work out LCD TVs without it, at least those over 17". The 26" JVC could have been a great option for me if they hadn't omitted the bloody DVI (aargh). I suppose it may be something to do with the DVI tax but I don't want to invest in a LCD TV now without possibly the most important interface for the next few years. I suppose if one just wanted to watch television it then fine but LCDs are so flexible (Presentatins, HTPC, DVD, TV) that it seems a waste to me.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    should be fine with the DVI input. Philips themselves call it the 'flexible' input.

I like the idea of the ambient light - projects a gentle light of whatever colour you like onto the wall behind the TV to help improve watching conditions (and perceived contrast)

the 42" one will be stunning.

7. Anjou

Anjou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    and just a little expensive :)

Actually, I suppose the lack of components really doesn't make that much of a difference in the European market. Only my DVD player has component, everything else I have uses RGB scart.