1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming cards from ATI / Nvidia. Looks like we'll require a PSU upgrade!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by InsertNameHere, Apr 10, 2004.

1. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15265

Ouch! :eek: It says in the article that Nvidia have confirmed that the PSU for GeForce 6800 Ultra shouldn't be less than 480 watts! It also says it'll require two molex connectors (as will ATI's release - due later this month).

Looks like we're all heading to the stores again for more power! lol

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I saw that the other day my 360W cheiftec will be struggling too. Ohh well I was going to look for a quieter one anyhow. Is there any news as to whether we'll be needing a mobo upgrade too. I was under the impression that the agp slot was going to be replaced with something faster? Also with 64 bit processors available would it be prudent to go for one of those at my next upgrade?

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Eventually PCI Express will be used for graphic cards.
    I don't expect to see mobos equipped with this to become common until next year though.
    They will have to have the next generation chipsets fitted for a start.
    The bad news is that I don't believe there is any electrical compatibility between PCI and PCI Express.
    If you wanna know more, I am sure Google can find lots of info.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

4. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The cards are going to arrive in two versions: AGP and PCI Express. With reference to the Radeon X800 Pro (R420), last time I heard these are going to be released at the end of this month. The PCI Express version (R423) will be released a few weeks later - around mid June. I'm not sure on the release dates of the NV40 however.

What a power supply? If so, I'd wait until the new cards are released mate (and even then only if you need it). Remember this is only for the top end cards; I'm not sure what the power requirements will be for the lesser spec versions - although they'll probably be around the 400W mark. If you were referring to the video card, however, then :eek:. If the prices in that article are correct, then that card would set you back £468.83! Probably not worth it for most people, IMO. ;)

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    If that's correct then I doubt they'll be selling very many and have priced themselves out of the market:(
    I don't mind forking out for quality kit but approaching £500 for a graphics card is obscene imo especially when you factor in how often we upgrade (every 12-18 months for me). £500 is currently nearly the price of an entire system and I'd be very hard pushed to justify blowing that on one component:thumbsdow

Still lets see what happens. I'm asuming even the lower end next gen cards will put the one's currently available to shame. My Radeon 9700pro has done me very well so far:D

In my earlier post I was refering to the new 64 bit processors recently available and was asking if it's worth buying one since no operating system exists for it (apart from a beta) and it would mean a replacement mobo for me if I was to go that way.