Up to 55" TV - Freeview

soltej

Novice Member
Hi folks!

I have to change my TV and I would like to know your recommendations.

Here are the details:

Usage:
  • Only Freeview (HD and SD channels)
  • Watch time: ~12 hours per day (max. 8 hours straight/uninterrupted)
  • Distance: ~2 meters

Requirements TV:
  • Up to 55"
  • Central Pedestal
  • Best image quality possible for Freeview
  • High quality (I do not want to change my TV every 2 - 3 years + not having problems with the LED panels (examples: burn in, banding,...)

Budget: ~1700€

I looked at the LG OLED48CX6LB, Panasonic TX-55HZ1000, Samsung QE55Q95T and Sony KD55AG9.

Do you have any recommendations?

Many thanks

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Why not the 55CX?

Stand wise, you can buy aftermarket central ones that attach to the vesa mount points on the back of the Tv

Dodgexander

Worth noting if you do go OLED they are designed to do their compensation schedule every 4 hours, so if you do watch content that has static logos/tickers and you're leaving the TV on for 8 hours non stop, then it may pose problems in the long term.

If you're willing to avoid consistent use of content on the TV with static images or tickers, and you let it perform its cycle, then the risk of seeing burn in goes down. See: OLED Burn In Risk for more info.

Regarding the stand type, you can always fit your own separate central stand to any TV, so no need to narrow your choice based on that.

A bit of general advice: Freeview / broadcast TV is quite out of date in quality now compared to streams and disc formats, so the quality of it upscaled to a larger TV is not going to be fantastic. You can offset this somewhat by going for a TV that has good upscaling, but its important to know that unlike HD TVs of old, UHD models fortee is not broadcast TV...and instead higher quality sources.

So with that in mind, you may just consider keeping with what you have until you can use more 4k content, or even just buying a cheap model instead, possible even a 50" HD one.

soltej

Novice Member
Thank you for your replies.

My current TV is a Samsung UE40H6200AW, which unfortunately is no longer working.

vickster, is the LG 55CX better than the 48CX? (keep in mind distance 2 meters) I looked at the 48 just because it is cheaper. Size preferences 40" up to 55"

Dodgexander, when I watch the TV for 8 hours non stop, I usually switch channels (SD and HD channels). The plan is to buy a long-lasting TV that will give me the best results for watching Freeview channels.

Do you recommend any models?

Many thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
A 55 would be too big for me at 2m, especially for lower quality material, so yes the 48 might be better. But plenty of people like to sit close to big screens. All your other options are 55, hence my query
The Sony 49xh9505 might be another option especially given your wish to avoid burn in

mikej

Do you mainly watch the HD Freeview channels or do you watch a lot of SD ? As eluded to above, SD Freeview is very likely to look noticeably worse on a new 55" 4K screen @ 2m compared to the 40" 1080p screen you're used to.

If SD is an important consideration, you need to pay close attention to the reviewed upscaling abilities of any TV you're looking at and think carefully about the screen size. 55" would be great for 'immersion' for HD and 4K movies @2m but if you're mainly watching general SD/HD Freeview, then it might make sense to stick within the 40-50" range, especially as most of Freeview is actually still stuck in SD.

FWIW, I had similar concerns when I upgraded to to a 55" 4K OLED from a 46" 1080p plasma but, since then, my viewing habits have actually changed as it's HD and especially 4K content that makes these TVs shine. These days, I'm mostly watching high quality content on Freeview HD, Prime and Netflix, with almost no SD content at all.

Saying that though, my Panasonic OLED does do an admirable job of upscaling SD when needed but that's only for the very best SD sources - eg. the main BBC channels or a decent DVD - the poorer bitrate Freeview SD channels are pretty much unwatchable (and that's @ 2.7m)

BTW - my comments above are based on receiving Freeview in the UK, but it would appear (from a quick Google search) that you can't easily pick up Freeview in Spain, so how are you receiving it ?

soltej

Novice Member

vickster, as I will be transitioning from a 40" TV, I do not want one bigger than 55".

mikej, I watch a mixture of SD an HD channels - approx. 50/50 - I guess in the future all the channels will be in HD.
I have a roof aerial and to get the best signal possible I use a cable with shielded connectors.

Many thanks

mikej

I watch a mixture of SD an HD channels - approx. 50/50 - I guess in the future all the channels will be in HD.

That would obviously be great, but I definitely wouldn't base your TV choice on that assumption as I think it's pretty unlikely. If anything, the number of good quality HD channels (so I'm not including QVC for obvious reasons !) is decreasing... Channel 4+1HD and 4Seven HD were lost last year and the future of BBC Four HD and BBC News HD could also be in doubt in the next year or so due to their current, outlying broadcast frequency. If they don't get moved to alternative locations, that would be a real blow to Freeview IMO.

vickster

Distinguished Member

vickster, as I will be transitioning from a 40" TV, I do not want one bigger than 55".

mikej, I watch a mixture of SD an HD channels - approx. 50/50 - I guess in the future all the channels will be in HD.
I have a roof aerial and to get the best signal possible I use a cable with shielded connectors.

Many thanks
I didn’t suggest anything bigger than 55

soltej

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies.

Let me add that I do not want an external sound system.

Based on the provided information, what would it be your choice?

Many thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
For me, probably the 49Xh9505 as I’d be concerned about burn in having a TV on for 12 hours a day. Will save you a load of money too. Just need to change the stand

Dodgexander

For your usage and viewing distance, a 48" Philips 9 series OLED. The best sounding TV there us sub 55". Just make sure you're aware of how burn in can appear on an OLED, so you understand how to avoid it.

If you go for an LCD TV instead, there are also 9 series LCD TVs from Philips that aren't anywhere near as good with picture quality, but do come with better built in sound like the OLED does.

soltej

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies.

vickster, do you have any concerns about not having the X-Wide Angle panel on the 48" model?

Dodgexander, are you referring to the 48OLED935/12? Based on previous models using the "Ambilight" feature, do you see any problems with that?

Many thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
You don’t mention viewing angles? I view head on so it’s not a concern for me, I said what I would choose. From a techie point of view, go with Dodge’s suggestions

HereIsTom

I can recommend the Sony 55A89, a very nice TV with great image and sound.

soltej

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies.

My bad, I did not mention viewing angles. I will view head on 70% of the time and 30% from the side.

Dodgexander

Dodgexander, are you referring to the 48OLED935/12? Based on previous models using the "Ambilight" feature, do you see any problems with that?
Yes, they sell the 9 series at 55" too but since you are still watching broadcast TV, the smaller the better.
Ambilight is something you can customise, turn off, turn on, whatever you like. There's no problem with it, its just a feature.

soltej

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies.

Regarding the Philips 48OLED935/12, Any reliability concerns? Philips uses LG panels right?

vickster, if I go for the Sony 49Xh9505, do you know any brands doing high quality TV stand?

Many thanks

Dodgexander

Philips use Android TV like Sony do as a smart OS. Its not as robust, or bug free as LGs is, but its not as bad as it used to be.

Reliability and picture quality on all OLEDs is very, very similar though. Differences are only with software and picture processing. This is because unlike LCD TVs that can use different panels and different backlight systems, each OLED has integrated panels which are all the same made by LG.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your replies.

Regarding the Philips 48OLED935/12, Any reliability concerns? Philips uses LG panels right?

vickster, if I go for the Sony 49Xh9505, do you know any brands doing high quality TV stand?

Many thanks
Nope, just look on Amazon or similar. I don’t know if the 49 is the same as the 55 where the feet can be set wide or narrow

Dodgexander

Both very good, not sure you can separate them. Philips one best picture processing award here:

Are you going to use the integrated tuner?

pastrybloke19

Dodgexander, I will use the TV integrated tuner.

Many thanks
I would go for the 55” versions if you can: much better value and probably about the same cost as the 48/49” versions.

plus bigger is always better.

mikej

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern launches the SE180 portable player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published