Up to £400 to spend on laptop, help?

Juiceloose

DC,

I'm looking for a laptop for the girlfriend for Xmas. The Asus one you recommend looks very good for the money. The girlfriend uses Skype a lot to speak to her mates and relatives overseas.

I note that the Asus comes with an integrated webcam. Would you know if that also includes the microphone or would I have to buy a separate plug in microphone ?

dc8900

Distinguished Member

the slow norris

had a massive stress this morning with a very very very poorly functioning Advent netbook that was so cloggy was unbelivable.

So in a fit of pique, I resolved to buy a better laptop with which I could work from home without wanting to throw the laptop through the nearest window every 2 seconds! With no prior knowledge to go on, reviewed AVF and resolved to buy the asus mentioned above, and I'm now typing this post with it after nipping down to my nearest Comet!

very very happy, performance is very very quick compared to old netbook and I can finally work at a decent speed on my work's citrix farm. So, at the moment very happy, no obvious faults, just lots of positives. As primarily a mac user, what I am most happy about is that it doesn't come pre-loaded with a million and one crappy apps that you're never gonna use but that take up space/ram.

Screen res is good, ease of set up good, browsing speed good (am on 6meg speed line with BT).

So thanks once more to AVF for sorting me out in my hour of need, will make the next few months a lot lot easier

dc8900

Distinguished Member
So in a fit of pique, I resolved to buy a better laptop with which I could work from home without wanting to throw the laptop through the nearest window every 2 seconds! With no prior knowledge to go on, reviewed AVF and resolved to buy the asus mentioned above, and I'm now typing this post with it after nipping down to my nearest Comet!

very very happy, performance is very very quick compared to old netbook and I can finally work at a decent speed on my work's citrix farm. So, at the moment very happy, no obvious faults, just lots of positives. As primarily a mac user, what I am most happy about is that it doesn't come pre-loaded with a million and one crappy apps that you're never gonna use but that take up space/ram.

So thanks once more to AVF for sorting me out in my hour of need, will make the next few months a lot lot easier
glad to hear it mate :smashin: and that's what I like about ASUS, no nonsense pre-installed, just reliable and high quality computing :thumbsup:

AstraK

Im going to view that Asus when i next can.

Im trying to weigh up the pros and cons against the Acer...

So far the ASUS wins against:

HDD space. Asus 320, Acer 250
Proc speed Asus 2.4ghz, Acer 2.1
Battery life, i think the Asus is an hour longer

But the Acer does have the 3 year manufactures warrenty.
So all in for the Acer is £380 with 3 year warrenty
For the same for the Asus from Comet, that would cost £580, £200 extra for the above points and the same length warrenty.
This is my problem. I have no doubt the Asus would be a better quality machine, but even the best computers can fail in over a years time.

Then there is the fact that i dont need an overly powerful machine, so i dont think i'd really notice/make use of the Asus's more powerful processor. The HDD space is good but i dont fill my laptop up with stuff anyway really (160gig HDD on my Compaq never got full)
Battery life is also good but then i dont normally use it many places where i cant get a mains feed.
dc8900 What do you think?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
But the Acer does have the 3 year manufactures warrenty.

Then there is the fact that i dont need an overly powerful machine, so i dont think i'd really notice/make use of the Asus's more powerful processor. The HDD space is good but i dont fill my laptop up with stuff anyway really (160gig HDD on my Compaq never got full)
Battery life is also good but then i dont normally use it many places where i cant get a mains feed.
dc8900 What do you think?
I think you answered your own question mate :) but yeah, pop into a Comet and check out the ASUS, if you like than that's great but from the sounds of things, warranty is a big must for your needs as I'm guessing you prefer the peace of mind, so then, try out the Acer (buy online, as then you're covered by DSR [I think] if you don't like it)

AstraK

I think you answered your own question mate :) but yeah, pop into a Comet and check out the ASUS, if you like than that's great but from the sounds of things, warranty is a big must for your needs as I'm guessing you prefer the peace of mind, so then, try out the Acer (buy online, as then you're covered by DSR [I think] if you don't like it)
What is DSR lol. I was going to reserve for store pick up. But yea, ill look at the Asus but im pretty sure on the Acer now

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Oh so you mean the 7 day cooling off period?
yeah, as if you buy instore, open it and then simple don't like it, with electronics, stores can refuse to accept returns, hence why DSR is handy

mutamist

That video is hilarious!

"That's a really really nice power button"

TechCrunch watch out!

All going well the ASUS will be mine at the weekend - I may video it being unboxed ;)

AstraK

That video is hilarious!

"That's a really really nice power button"

TechCrunch watch out!

All going well the ASUS will be mine at the weekend - I may video it being unboxed ;)
Lol yea, does look nicely finished though. Tbh the warrenty is the biggest reason im getting it.

AstraK

Strobe

Those unboxing vid's on YouTube crack me up! :laugh:

I was recently looking in a similar price-range; and nearly went for the Asus at £429 from Comet or a similarly priced Toshiba C660 from John Lewis. I wouldn't go for Acer they do have a pretty poor rep as regards reliability. Stick to Asus, Toshiba and HP and you won't go far wrong. I have an HP which is 3 years old and an ancient Tosh which is five years old and they are both still going.

I upped my budget and went for a Dell in the end though as I wanted a dedicated graphics card and USB 3.0 ports.

A Dell Inspiron 15R with i3, 3 meg RAM, 320 gig HDD and integrated graphics is £429 delivered. Just a thought.

Strobe

Do you think this would be a better buy?

Buy Toshiba Satellite C660-115 Laptop, Intel Pentium Dual, 320GB, 2.3GHz, 3GB RAM with 15.6 Inch Display online at JohnLewis.com

2 year warrenty. Doesnt say if it has HDMI or not though, so im not sure.
Processor wise which would be best, the Tosh or Acer?
I know it's another £40 but I would go for this one...
Buy Toshiba Satellite C660-174 Laptop, Intel® Core
The extra is worth it for the better i3 processor and 3 gig RAM.

AstraK

I know it's another £40 but I would go for this one...
Buy Toshiba Satellite C660-174 Laptop, Intel® Core
The extra is worth it for the better i3 processor and 3 gig RAM.
As i wont be using it for resource hungry tasks, the i3 would be wasted on doing mundane things like burning CD's and watching films, so tbh the extra £50 would be a complete waste.
If that Tosh i linked has HDMI i think ill go for it. I didnt even know John lewis sold computers!

mutamist

With how the future looks for video streaming and HD files I'd definitely go for the i3 processor - that Toshiba looks very average and has no HDMI socket.

AstraK

With how the future looks for video streaming and HD files I'd definitely go for the i3 processor - that Toshiba looks very average and has no HDMI socket.
What do you mean? Video streaming is largely reliant on your net connection, mine is 3mb at best (small village 3 miles from the town), and how are HD files resource hungry? File size is the main thing for them, for which i have a 500gb external hard drive should it ever be needed.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Because decoding HD video is resource hungry.

AstraK

Because decoding HD video is resource hungry.
HD was never in my list of criteria, im happy with standard def on a tiny laptop screen, leave HD for my PS3 bluray and flat screen tv where it can be properly enjoyed with a decent sound system

mutamist

HD was never in my list of criteria, im happy with standard def on a tiny laptop screen, leave HD for my PS3 bluray and flat screen tv where it can be properly enjoyed with a decent sound system
You queried earlier whether the Toshiba had an HDMI socket so I assumed HD video playback was a requirement.

Something like the ASUS has everything the Toshiba has but a better processor and a HDMI socket so future proofing yourself a lot better.

AstraK

You queried earlier whether the Toshiba had an HDMI socket so I assumed HD video playback was a requirement.

Something like the ASUS has everything the Toshiba has but a better processor and a HDMI socket so future proofing yourself a lot better.
Oh no, i only wanted HDMI so i can use the laptop by looking on my LCD tv (just for bigger screen), and watching movies on the laptop HDD without burning them to disk.
You mean thr Asus at Comet? It is nice but with only 1 year warrenty its not that great

mutamist

True, but ASUS are very reliable. I'm looking at similar laptops as you in the same price bracket. Warranty has never been a consideration as I've never owned a laptop that went wrong in under 2 years, and one was a Packard Bell, so maybe I've just been lucky.

AstraK

True, but ASUS are very reliable. I'm looking at similar laptops as you in the same price bracket. Warranty has never been a consideration as I've never owned a laptop that went wrong in under 2 years, and one was a Packard Bell, so maybe I've just been lucky.
Ive just been very worried since my HP Compaq CQ70 began to fail after around 14 months old.
Sold it for £80 though so i got some of that £370 back :rolleyes:
But the Acer at Argos is still my favourite so far, 3 year warrenty is very hefty, expect to pay £200+ for that length from PC world or other retailers.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton