1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Up the wooden hill

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by loftfuton, Feb 11, 2005.

1. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    A few snaps of our 'getaway' installed in converted loft. Built the lot myself - must be ok cause my wife likes it!!!
    Denon 2800MK2 and AVR 3802 receiver . Above that is Sony XB 920-E cd player, and little used Panasonic vhs player. All this kit on pull-out shelves to access spagetti at back. An old Rega Planar record deck over on the left keeps my feet firmly in the past !!
    Speakers are a bit of a mish-mash. Behind cloth grills are a pair of very old Spendor's providing surround front, and music listening. Centre is an old Polk Audio, with a Rel Q50 sub. The rears are different again - Diesis Solitaires which are full range speakers. Thinking of changing the cinema speakers so that they at least have the same name !!, but no ideas as to what that will be yet. I'm happy enough with what's there at the minute.
    Picture provided by Sony VPL-VW10 HT projecting onto an old (that word features a lot on my gear list) 4ft Da-lite grey high-gain screen called a 'Flyer', which was originally for slide projection, but works very well with pj giving vivid colours and a very bright image. Screen taken off its original tri-pod feet and mounted overhead for pulling down.
    I've built a 'coffee-table' to house the pj keeping it out of the way until needed. When switched on, the pj trigger output releases solenoid bolts which otherwise hold the top of the table down under pressure from gas springs hidden in the legs. The theory is that with the bolts released this pressure causes the table top with the pj mounted underneath to rise majestically to projecting height (after having removed drinks off it !!) - which on most occasions (!!) it does. Still have a bit more futtering to get solenoid strength correct though.
    Freeview provided by Nokia 221T receiver.
    Hope you like it, and any comments gratefully received - any recommendations for good satellites to run along with the Rel sub to cover front, rear and centre rear ???.
    All the best
    Harry

Attached Files:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Fantastic setup mate :) Well done!!! :) :smashin:

4. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow- awesome setup! What size of sreen is that you have

5. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks very much for those comments - it was a fair bit of work, but its nice when its appreciated.
    Ewan its only a 4ft square screen, originally bought for slide projection about 15 years ago. Its very hi-gain, not sure by how much, but gives a fairly narrow 'sweet-spot', although the side viewing is still good when you can't see the straight on picture to compare with. The gain is an advantage as the loft has a couple of windows and they dont have full black-out blinds.

6. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    That is just stunning. When I first looked I thought "this guys gone and nicked some pics from a home cinema site or something"... lol That's just testament to how good it looks. (Just dragged the missus over to have a look and she told me to save the pics and use it as ideas for our new house that we haven't bought yet.. you haven't copyrighted any of it have you ??? lol )

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Very nice set up mate. I did all mine by myself too, its just so rewarding to do this sort of thing.

8. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks 26th (hope you don't mind me calling you that!!) for your kind comments.
    I spent a while going through mags for ideas, and re-drawing plans to make the most efficient use of the space I had. I kept a folder of photo's of set-up's I tore from mags to refer to when I came to construct the thing. The sloping roof was the most difficult thing to work around.

9. Skip67

Skip67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It really does look great Loftluton. You must be chuffed man. Makes mine look decidedly amateurish. (Call me anything you want mate... lol )

10. randomcdg

randomcdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    top notch, well impressed ,top to bottom a fine job !!!!!!

11. MitchM

MitchM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incredible job! If I had the option of choosing the perfect setup, it would look exactly like yours. Your use of lighting to accent the fine details is awesome. So when can I move in??? LOL

12. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks MitchM !!. As we don't have enough space for a dedicated cinema room this had to be useable as a living-room as well, so the lighting was done with both purposes in mind. Some people on the Forum recommended bias lighting for cinema viewing, and after trying it I have to agree that it provides a very relaxing backdrop to the screen, as opposed to complete darkness.
    You'r rental agreement is in the post !!!!

13. podium73

podium73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Love the coffee table, very clever solution, if you don't mind me asking how much was it to build - by that I mean moving parts, gas springs etc.

This looks like it might be the only way of getting a pj in my living room.

Just goes to show with a bit of thought, planning, inspiration and persperation what can be achieved.

Go on though treat yourself to a 7ft screen....you know you want to.

14. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi podium73 - sorry about delay in reply - can't afford it and havn't got the room!! Max screen size I could fit would be about 5ft - mayby soon !!
    Gas springs bought from RS Components - stock no. 686-985 cost £45 per pair. Solenoids came from CPC - 42 Seriese 12vDC - cost £9 each - I used 2. Aside from a small micro-switch, that was it. The electronics - not my strong point - came from a friend who helped convert my idea into a working circuit. Hope this helps.

15. podium73

podium73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi loftfuton - thanks for your response - only my wife to convince now.........oh I can hear her already 'YOU ARE NOT JAMES BOND!'.

16. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Podium73 - There are various lengths of gas spring available - it took me a while to decide which one to go for, and the implications the choice had for the final height of the screen. Also the pressure needed to be released in each spring as they come fully pressurised and are impossible to retract under any sort of reasonable force ! This is done by loosening a grub screw at the base of the spring and releasing some oil. It is very much a trial and error thing.

17. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Very nice indeed. Nicely done... nice and neat!

Its amazing what you can do when you a have a small space and you need that HC room and if the wife likes it then your on to a winner!!