1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Up-Scaled image on Big DLP's

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Caimbeul, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has experienced upscaled Anime or Cartoons on any Big DLP's (not that there are really any small ones! :D ) Whether it is via the TV's in-built scaler or via a scaling DVD Player...Just wanted to know what the quality of the image was like?

Has anyone also watched any DIVX movies on them via preferably via a DVD player than a PC?

Thanks

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

Caimbeul :hiya:
    I have Appleseed (looks great), steam boy and ghost in a shell etc. They all look great. I also watch loads of divx shows from the US and the odd movie ;) if you know what I mean. They all look fine and I have a 65' DLP. I use a HTPC for my divx and a dvd player via component for my dvd's.

:thumbsup:

3. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cool, thanks Razor. Good to know they look good. oh, and I have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about ;)

:smashin:

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

:hiya: Caimbeul

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink say no more :smashin:

:devil:

5. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cartoons and Anime look very nice on a 55" DLP here. I watch them thru modded XBox wich scales to 720p (HDpack required). Even from normal TV cartoons look nice (on one of the few channels that's received in decent quality here). I watch a lot of anime and US tv shows and they all look pretty good.

6. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,639
    Are you sure your modded xbox upscales to 720p on DVD playbeck not just games ? i am woundering cos i have a modded xbox. Does this mean it does the same as the new samsung upconverting DVD players ?

7. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use XBMC (xbox media centre) for playback with upscaling (and post processing).
    The MS DVD player only outputs in 480i, but I patched it so it can output progressive. XBMC doesn't support menus in DVD's yet(menu support is still beta). It just plays the movie when you open the 1st file in the video.ts map on the DVD.
    If you can compile the XBMC source you can enable menusupport. Think it will come out of beta after the summer.

XBMC is also handy for multi audio, multi subs divx/xvid files (anime series use this often). Stand alone DVD players don't support multi audio xvids afaik.
    I use it as the default dashboard for my parents so they can watch xvids without having to use a PC. But for most HD material you need a PC.
    So I'm looking at what parts to get for it but am at the moment stuck at finding the right DVB-S card and wich frontend to use.

8. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,639
    So in answer to my question in plain & simple terms.... Will my modded Xbox upscale DVD playback the same as the sammy dvd players upscale ?

9. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1