Up Pompeii

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the "Up Pompeii" series with Frankie Howerd (currently being shown on BBC4) is available on DVD, please?

I've got most episodes on VHS, but can only find one episode on DVD (and that's with an episode of "Up the Chastity Belt" which I don't really want).

Thanks.

That's not an episode ........ it's the movie.

pjclark1 said:
That's not an episode ........ it's the movie.

Just testing! :oops:

Actually, I'm going to answer my own question, as my daughter has sent me this information which might be of use to others:

DVD release?
A complete release of the series on DVD may soon come to pass. No complete home video release has yet been undertaken due to the nature of the videotape master materials. Like many television series made before the advent of VHS, master tapes of British television productions were often thought to be worthless and erased to be reused (for such reasons as copyright restrictions allowing only one repeat, black & white series being determined as unrepeatable with the advent of colour, and even a physical lack of the necessary archival storage space). In the case of Up Pompeii! (and many others, including most notably Doctor Who), copies sold internationally were, once their broadcasts had occurred, contractually obliged to be returned to the BBC or destroyed.

In the late 1970s, following a change in the BBC's archival policy and a general search for old BBC material, missing episodes of Up Pompeii! were located in the Canadian CBC archive. Due to the differences in international broadcasting, these copies had been converted to the North American NTSC television videotape standard. Thus, one chunk of the series remained in their native PAL format, and another was found in a poorly-converted (dating long before digital conversion methods) NTSC state. The picture quality of some of the Canadian finds was not up to the exacting standards of the BBC, and so their marketablilty was severely limited. A VHS release was therefore considered to be out of the question.

In 2004/2005, through the success of a group of BBC employees' restoration work on similar NTSC-only episodes of Doctor Who (specifically the Jon Pertwee adventure The Claws of Axos), the BBC decided to convert all their NTSC-only productions (as reclaimed from various international stations) back to their original PAL format using a new computer-controlled process, Reverse Standards Conversion. A PAL-like, higher-quality image resulted in a more stable picture and more enjoyable viewing experience. And so, after 35 years, a complete and restored Up Pompeii! may once again be available.

And about time too! I mean really. One of the best programs on TV....Go on you dare YOU just dare.:mad: .. Where was I? Oh TV... And finaly they decide to get it "ON"....ON TV! OOOO! I should have guessed your'll alll as common as muck. Now listen ..No.. Oh I've lost my place now...Dvd...Oh yes!..I 've been waiting down here in hades...Well it's the it's the only place to be if your stuck down here:devil: ...(well where did expect)...There's a lady in the front row that hasn't a clue what I'm on about:confused: .. Er! Missus Watch my documentary and see it all revealed:lesson: .....No not that! We're not that witty!... And now at last, I can say the Prologue...13 times (it's bitter on this slab)
SALUTE

Lurcio: :arty:
Hello.

As you can see to my fault I am a writer. Up pompeii!! was a "First" show that really was a sit com-with smut...why they have waited so long is red tape and far too many greedy people. I did 3 scripts with my manager for the Anengers and Canal + just stuck the bloody oat in. At last Up pompeii Is gonna be available... Thank you to the person that explained it all to us
Yours for questions and anything else :hiya:
SPIKE

This is the first program I thought was worth watching on BBC4.
Fantastic writing and just the right amount of camp and questionable acting to make you laugh out loud something so few comedies do these days.

BBC4 has had nothing worth veiwing.... And I doubt they will .....unlike many other 4th rate rpt-ed BBC4 peograms repeated to death we will probably never see the series run again... and what about the pilot? I have tried emule and other p2p for the pilot but nothing
morelater
SPIKE

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom