• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Up from the Onkyo 505, Which is the next amp....

Tom Tom

OK,

So I have the Onkyo 505 and I like it (it was a 30th Birthday present from my sister) and don't really want to get rid of it. Especially as on ebay it now goes for £20 (if that)

My question is just going one run up the ladder (as I have no budget) which is the next amp that will actually process the sound from the HDMI, and has more HDMI inputs for the one HDMI out put.

(The 505 has 2 inputs 1 output and the amp does not process the feed just sends it through)

I now have
Freesat
Raspberry Pi
Xbox 360
PS3
all capable to HDMI sound but as it stands I have to put the 360 and PS3 into the amp through the 2 optical inputs.
The Free sat in on Phono leads and the Pi in on phono leads.

I don't want to have to spend a lot, I am not looking for the next best amp (even though I would like to)
I am just after an almost side step up in terms of quick set up, less wires at the back to make my system tidier and easier to manage if I need to move the whole unit about.

Thanks
Tom

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Denon AVRX2000 is very good value for money at the moment and will cost you about £300.

Last edited:

Tom Tom

Yes 2nd hand, more than likely eBay. And where possible very cheap.

I would love to be able to really upgrade, but just at the mo want a small step to something like the onkyo 606 just to get the functionality I don't have, but not breaking my non existent budget.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
In that case I would steer clear of anything onkyo of that age as there is a common hdmi fault that can turn your AVR into a useless paperweight. Instead I would get something like the Sony 820 or even something from denon (19xx) or Yamaha (6xx) instead. As long as does audio over hdmi then you are good.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom