• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Up converting AV Receiver and Close Caption

aerales

Standard Member
Hello, I'm looking to do an upgrade on my TV Room and I've been looking for receivers with upconversion and closed caption, I haven't found any options.... any ideas? I have a Onkyo TX-SR806 but it doesn't have this feature....:smashin:

dante01

Distinguished Member
No AV receiver will have any feature in relation to closed captions. You'd expect the source or the display to deal with closed captions and not an AV receiver or scaler.

What are you wanting to convert and what are you wanting to convert it to?

All but the entry level models now have inbuilt video conversion and upscaling. This is mainly to facilitate the conversion of analogue non HD video to HD HDMI.

What is your budget for a new receiver?

aerales

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick reply, the answers to your questions?

1. Want to convert DirecTV Non HD to a Samsung LED Tv via:
- Sat receiver to AV receiver with composite or S-Video and
- AV receiver to TV with HDMI to 1080p
2. Budget: around $500
3. Brands interested in: Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz or Denon

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the quick reply, the answers to your questions?

1. Want to convert DirecTV Non HD to a Samsung LED Tv via:
- Sat receiver to AV receiver with composite or S-Video and
- AV receiver to TV with HDMI to 1080p
2. Budget: around $500
3. Brands interested in: Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz or Denon

What you want is doable, but cannot comment on which receivers to go for in relation to your budget. This board is mainly populated by members who reside in the UK and prices differ quite drastically here to the prices elsewhere in the world. Models too are often not available or named differently.

Your current AV receiver suggests you look at the Onkyo TXNR818, but I suspect that this may be beyond your stated budget? Other comparable models would be the Yamaha RXA2020, DEnon AVR3313 or the Marantz SR7007.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom