Up and coming Sky+ installation...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kamza, Jan 3, 2005.

1. kamza

kamza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Need your help / advice here...

Getting Sky+ installed on the 16th Jan and have been reading various threads here about the un-reliable Amstrad box's. I tried calling Sky last week to request a Pace box but was basically told I'll get what I'm given (sounds to me like it'll be an Amstrad). When I mentioned all the problems surrounding the Amstrad boxes, I was told that Sky were not aware of any such problems and that the Amstrad boxes are made to eactly the same spec as the Pace ones.

Someone posted info about Sky getting the Pace one's back in again in Feb and I even suggested holding back the installation until I could be guaranteed one of those to which again the answer was fine, but I still would not be guaranteed a Pace box.

Am I being to fussy here or is there a genuine reliability issue with the Amstrad boxes? I know that by going to a 3rd party I can specify the Pace box but in Glasgow, the cheapest I can get it for is £299 with £50 install seeing as I'm an existing Sky customer (don't even get me started on this point...a loyal customer for 5 years has to pay more than double than a brand new customer! :mad: )

Advice appreciated.... :lease:

Thanks

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I've had an Amstrad box for about 3 weeks now and no problems with it yet.

3. AndySee

AndySee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've had Amstrad for about 2 weeks and the remote receiver is intermitttent.
    Takes 4 or 5 pushes on remote to respond.
    Installer for me only had Amstrad box - so no choice for me either.
    Engineer is visiting this week to check the IR functions - I am certain it's the box. I saw a post on digitalspy about sluggish remote response, but can't find much else on this.

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The remote/box combination does seem a bit limited in terms of line of sight from remote to the box. For example, my AV receiver responds normally to it's remote (or the Pronto) regardless of whether the remote is pointed vaguely in the direction of the receiver or not (a lot of the time the Pronto is actually facing into the back of my sofa). With the Sky+ I've found I have to make sure that the remote is pointing roughly towards the box.

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You have a fault, the Amstrad is not fast to respond (its fast enough for me) but it never requires 4 or 5 pushes.

I've had my Amstrad for 6 months without a problem, it obviously depends on how lucky you are.

6. andycat

andycat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs with my Amstrad here - filled it twice with no problems!

7. AndySee

AndySee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the 4 or 5 pushes needed even if 3 cm in front of receiver. It's not angle of attack, but poor receipt of signal. I'm hoping/expecting a replacement box.

8. AndySee

AndySee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    discovered it's the ir transmitter from the video sender. took it out of the way and the remote and box work fine. now need to solve how to operate box via video sender. heard somewhere that there are problems but can't find the threads.

9. Stealth Rodeo

Stealth Rodeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Well, I had Sky+ installed a month ago, and even after I was told that a Pace box had been ordered for me, an Amstrad one was installed. As soon as it was on I could see the "white/bright" vertical bars on the screen. I was more worried about the high pitched LOUD buzzing coming from the box. All of this was "normal" the engineer said!

When I phoned Sky about the obviously faulty box, I mentioned the fact that I already knew about these problems before it was installed by reading about them here, the reply was that Sky knew nothing about any problems and was told never to believe what you read on this forum... but they are gathering info from people who have the same problems (I mean, talk about contradicting yourself).

Anyway, the cool thing is, I asked for my money back on the Amstrad box and was given a refund. I then bought a Pace 3100 on eBay for £150.

I just connected it to the cables and rang Sky to match the box with my card. Sorted! The Pace box has excellent PQ and is as quiet as a mouse, well I suppose it's about as loud as an Xbox or a PS2.

At least that way you get the Sky install without the indie price and a Pace box guaranteed.

10. kamza

kamza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sky not knowing about the Amstrad problems?...yeah right! More like they know damn well but are continuing to sell them as they probably got a job lot in from Amstrad!

Good move on getting a refund and buying a 3100 from ebay...may try that one myself if my Amstrad box is not up to scratch. Thanks for the tip.

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Your Pace box is as loud as your Xbox? If your Xbox is anything like mine I'd be sending the Pace back. My Amstrad Sky+ is ultra quiet - I can occasionally hear something if I'm sat right up close to it, but from my normal seating position, nothing. Whearas my Xbox is clearly audible unless I really crank up the volumne during games (at which point I'm deafening myself)

12. Stealth Rodeo

Stealth Rodeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hmm... maybe you should send your Xbox back, cos mine is really as quiet as a mouse, well as quiet as my Pace box and PS2! :laugh:

Seriously though, my Pace box is extremely quiet, as are all my consoles... ;)

And I can assure you, the Amstrad box I originally had sounded more like a dentist's drill - ouch! :suicide:

13. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had the Amstrad box for a few weeks now and it is very noisy. I have also had problems with recording on Sky+, essentially the clock seems to go wrong from time to time which messes up recordings!

I shall be speaking to Sky tomorrow and will hopefully get the situation resolved.

14. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Amstrad is as quiet as a mouse, much quieter than my friend's Pace where you can hear the fan (my fan is almost never on). Every few days I'll get a low buzzing but I just press on the unit and it disappears, I could fit larger rubber feet but its so trivial I can't be bothered.

15. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is there any difference in looks between the PACE and Amstrad, or do you have to tell by looking at the sticker on the bottom?

Sorry for the thick question :)

16. Stealth Rodeo

Stealth Rodeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    The Pace box has the viewing card slot on the left, while the Amstrad has it on the right.