Unwelcome Subtitles on Denon 500SD

braiden

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Watched my first film on my new 500SD which I only set up today, and half way through the film the subtitles flashed up for about five seconds being displayed at the top and bottom of the screen.

I know it has already been discussed here but was wondering if anyone knows why it happens or if anyone has had a remedy from Denon themselves :confused:

Great forum by the way :smashin:

Braiden

Braiden
as you quite rightly say, this HAS been mentioned before.
I must be honest and say I had this happen ONCE, (the first time I used my Denon), but since then it hasn't happened again.
Rob

Is your machine multi region? I don't think Denon would know anything about your query if the firmware update is causing this glitch.

I don't thing the problem is multiregional as Oldschool here, has one which isn't multiregional and he has experienced the problem.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. I have a multiregional machine and I think it has happened to me about 3 times. I thought it was more to do with the disc itself than the machine.

I've had my Denon since September and it's happened about two times in total - I also thought it was either down to the disc or maybe the layer changing over? Funnily, I recall it happening on the first DVD I watched but that's possibly pure coincidence.

Anyway, on my part I'm not that worried about it as it hasn't happened enough times for me to regard it as a problem.

Nathan

Thanks guys, Really glad to hear it does not happen to often. I'm Really pleased with this system so far great sound and picture!!

:hiya:

Braiden

In my experience the subtitle issue has got worse and worse...the system in question has already been returned once to Denon and received back by me with "no fault found" - this doesn't suggest to me that Denon itself is taking this problem seriously at all. :thumbsdow

The system in question is currently with Denon again and if no repair is evident I will refuse to accept it and probably change it too a 550SD, (but since I have too deal with the unhelpful sods in Currys to do this, I'm not looking forward to it).

It's a shame as the sytem when working is awesome!

I shall let you all know the outcome...I would be grateful if anyone else has found a fix they would ley me know also as I'd really would like to keep my Denon (it took me long enough to find)

PS:- Sorry to be a party pooper!

Jordans Norks said:
I shall let you all know the outcome...I would be grateful if anyone else has found a fix they would ley me know also as I'd really would like to keep my Denon (it took me long enough to find)

PS:- Sorry to be a party pooper!

You're certainly not a party pooper!
Keep us posted on the official Denon stance.
Although my system hasn't displayed this problem again, it would be nice to know what the Denon "backup" is like, as this is my first venture into their brand name.
Just don't mention "Samsung" to me!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Rob

Denon are still not admitting to a fault via snail mail or email...they will however state it's being investigated when pushed on the phone.

just received a replacement from Currys (who actually lost the orginal), so fingers crossed.

Must say Currys (although slow) were quite good as they offered me an exchange / different model (which they didn't have to do as no fault is proven as yet), since they don't do they 550SD I took a straight replacement.

Rest assured if I get the old subtiltle issue back I will be writing staright to Denon!

Sorry to hear you had the subtitle problem so severely. I noted you stated it seemed to get worse and worse - just to offer you some positive light, I've had the 500 since September (which is probably a little longer than many) and have only had the subtitle issue happen on two or three occasions in total (and a lot of DVD's viewed), and also only very quickly. Although it is obviously a quirk of the system it sounds like you got very un-lucky indeed to make it so un-bearable, for me personally twice in six months is totally acceptable.

I'm assuming you're not watching "backed up DVD's" but well maintained own copies and rentals - hopefully this system will serve you better.

Good luck

Nathan

If you back up your DVD's you can remove the subtitles completely. Problem solved :eek:

are there any particular titles that people are watching that cause subtitles to appear and others that dont or is it a random occurrence?

I have just had it happen for about 5 seconds on R2 DareDevil (chapter 29 at around 01:28:00). Could not get it to replicate the glitch. Only other time I have had it is on R0 DeadZone TV series.

Not sure if it is coincidence or not, but both times it seems to have been near the end of the disc...

Final Destination 2 - 3/4 way through
Pearl Harbour - 5 mins from the end
Fast and Furious - chapter 6

Couple of others aswell. Im using the default firmware, but it seems that it happens less often on the mult-region f/w. Thats just basic conclusion ive come to.

All - got back a brand new 500SD with multiregion firmware...SAME PROBLEM.

To be honest, now I know it's a generic issue it doesn't bother me so much (before I felt I was being "picked" on). I had the option of swapping for different device but apart from the subtitle issue I'm very impressed with the Denon (especially with an active sub and 6.1) :)

Could I ask people who have the subtitle issue to just post what connection type they are using...perhaps this is a factor as you have to configure this in OSD (perhaps progressive scan on component fixes the issue etc)?

I myself have a RGB scart connector

Hi mine is set to output component, funnily enough it's never happened in progressive scan mode!!! :rolleyes:

although about a month back I was messing about with the remote and happened to press the subtitle button at the bottom and although I did not have the subtitles on, it stated on the display that they were :eek:

So I pressed the subtitle button a few times and they came up on screen pressed again said they were still on but had dissappeared from the screen. I then pressed the button again and it stated subtitle off, and not had the problem since.

I know it sounds confusing but can anyone else tell if they get the same messages.

Braiden - I shall try tonite mate!

Chaps, it's nothing to do with the layer change...I experienced the problem on a single layer DVD just this weekend!

On a simliar vane, has anyone heard anything from Denon re firmware upgrade?

I realised it was nothing to do with layer change too. It seems to happen anywhere in a film and im not sure what causes it. It sees to happen on about 15% of the films i watch.

No1 has found an answer for it yet!

Got bored and did an experiment (sort of, no white coats involved) :) ...

Played 10 DVD's with the volume below 44 (so the fan wasn't on) - 3 DVD's did the subtitle thingy!

Same DVD's with the volume at 50 (so the cooling fan was on)....no problems!

I done this twice now with the same results (actually the second time with the fan off only two DVD's "subtitled", but in both cases with the fan on, no problems)!

As I've stated, not scientific, but could it be an simple heat issue?

Please feel free to shoot me down if you know otherwise!

sounds good for an avenue of investigation, what a coincidence that a new post was placed here as yesterday I had my first experience of this issue on a rental copy of I-Robot :( . The volume was at 48 and the subtitles flickered onto the screen during the building demolition scene and the whole screen/picture flickered as if some picture from another channel was trying to take over. After about 8-10 seconds it was gone and didnt see it again for the rest of the movie. This is the loudest (volume number-wise) I've ever had the system up to since I've had it as the volume on this copy of I-Robot was quite quiet.

Normally I don't go above 43 or thereabouts. Is reducing the channel levels viable so that I can force the fan by pumping the volume over 50 but at the same time not deafening myself? lol

Straaange. :rolleyes:

Lightbulb, I don't know whether to laugh or cry :) ....I too have had the issue you describe during the demolition scene, since you were at volume 48 it puts an end to my heat theory!

PANTS!

Actually the subtitle thing doesn't annoy me as much now as wanting to find the cause / fix! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom