Unwanted Underscan Results From Liquid

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by STORM5.0, Aug 31, 2007.

1. STORM5.0

STORM5.0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liquid Edition 6:-

I understand the use of 'underscan' during the editing process - i.e. to examine the 'outer borders' of the picture.

However, I have been experiencing problems with it surfacing throughout playback of my completed films.

I have made much trial and error, and this is what I have found so far:-

* exporting 16:9 film to DVD plays fine (i.e. no visible underscan at all) with DVD player set to 'wide' and TV set to any ratio. However with DVD player set to 'letterbox' or 'normal', the underscan pops up when I then experiment with different ratios on my TV

* exporting 4:3 film to DVD plays fine (i.e. no visible underscan) with DVD player on any setting and TV at any ratio

* 'Fusing' 16:9 film as as 'avi' file displays the picture in underscan on my computer - I have tried opening the avi in several different players, and changing the aspect ratio within those players does not ever 'zoom' the underscan out of the picture

* 'Fusing' 4:3 film as 'avi' file displays the picture in underscan on my computer - I have tried opening the avi in several different players, and changing the aspect ratio within those players does not ever 'zoom' the underscan out of the picture

I am concerned about two things:-

1] If viewers of my film do not have their DVD player correctly set to 'wide', my 16:9 film may be revealed with underscan if their TV ratio is not appropriately set. This will make the film look terrible in places - can I do anything within Liquid to stop this from happening?

2] What is up with the 'fuse' process of Liquid displaying an underscanned picture? There must be a way to make an avi-fuse in normal overscan?

Thank you for any advice.

:thumbsup: