Unwanted stuff on Anytime

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Isleman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Isleman

Isleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    My Sky package is only 2 mixes plus HD.
    I noticed however that I receive Sky HD movies with Anytime , needless to say i can't see them as I don't have a valid subscription.
    1. What's the point of SKY sending them to my box as I am not able to see them?It will be better if they will restrict sending those as they will preserve some bandwith I should think.
    2. Is it any way I can delete unwanted/no valid subscription/viewed stuff from Anytime listing ?

Thank you .

2. martin10

martin10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

3. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,464
    And re number 1, Marketing, by offering stuff you can't see they are trying to tempt you to upgrade your package. ;)

4. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When I was looking through the other day Im sure I saw an option to turn off anytime tv. Would this then allow me to use the space anytime tv uses as I too think its a joke they send stuff you dont have a subscription for. (I understand the reason for it) I just think the space could be better used or tailored in some way as after all we have paid for the box.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Nope, the firmware reserves that capacity regardless (even if you replace the drive with a larger one) and SKY protect themselves by only ever having sold the HD box as a 160gig recorder.

6. Isleman

Isleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks a lot . It does work. The only anoying thing is the " Anytime preview" which keeps coming back next day after you delete it :)

7. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I don't understand the need to delete anything from Anytime? :confused:

We have no control over the portion of the hard drive that is reserved for Anytime, so why not just let it do it's thing? You can watch what you want and ignore anything else that's in the Anytime list. I have no problem with Anytime at all and I'm convinced it's because I just leave well alone. What does deleting content from Anytime achieve, other than running the risk of the same programs being downloaded again? Anytime deletes the content itself when it's time expired, so what is the point? If somone can give me a valid answer, I'm prepared to consider whether I should start deleting Anytime content myself, but I really don't see any advantage. ;)

ATB

Max

8. Isleman

Isleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    1.My first reason : I don't want to scroll every time through all the listing until I find something I want ( I had 7 kids programmes at a time ).

2. Second reason :I am subscribed only for 2 mixes . There is no point having stuff in my Anytime that I can not watch ( though I understand why SKY does it ).

Hope this clears your questions :)

9. Some Bloke

Some Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +571
    Is the hard drive likely to last longer if Anytime is switched off ? Or is it going to fail after 15 months or so anyway ?

10. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    hard drives that are used all the time generally last alot longer ones that go through the on/off cycle alot

11. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Not really, it's not as though there's pages of the stuff is it? Deleting only leaves you open to getting the same programs downloaded again, as there is no control over the content. So I still don't see the point in deleting anything, but if you perceive a benefit, then feel free, I wouldn't want to stop you! :)

ATB

Max

12. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    But the hard drive is being used all the time, it's only the Anytime partition that wouldn't be used if Anytime is disabled. :confused:

ATB

Max

13. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Sorry, there isn't an 'Anytime Partition', only reserved space anywhere on the drive. Turning off Anytime would help your disc life by not running as long as you remember to switch to standby when not using it.

Regards

14. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Is that so? I was under the impression that the firmware automatically sets up a partition for Sky's use, whether for Anytime or anything else they have planned for it in the future. The firmware is more clever than I thought if it can reserve a constant 'floating' 140GB without a partition. If you're right then planner rebuilds would be much more important than I thought they would be.

Leaving a hard drive running is still more likely to prolong the life of a drive though in my opinion. Switching it on and off is much more likely to lead to failure.

ATB

Max

15. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If there were 2 partitions, then when pressing record in Anytime would require the programme file to be copied from one partition to the other. What actually happens is that the previous Anytime space is allocated to the 160GB user space; plus when now deleted, it disappears from the Anytime menu.

As to whether switching off is more likely to lead to failure. From this Link
    From this, I prefer to switch to standby and save some energy but the choice is yours.

Regards