Unwanted programme

jimcarney

Hi ,Anyone know how I can delete an unwanted programme from my computer. My Mcafee virus scanner will not delete it, even though it tells me its unwanted, plus I cant find it in the registry .
(ginst_001_1234_4201.EXE). Anyone any ideas.
Thanks in advance Jim

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Possibly the reason the virus scan can't remove it is that its running.
Bring up the task manager CTRL-ALT-DELETE or right click the taskbar and select it.

Look in processes and it will show everything running in the background on the machine. ginst_001_1234_4201.EXE will be one of them if its running.

Kill the process ( think you select it and hit end now button in windows ). Then try the virus scan again.

.Griff.

Ginst_001_1234_4201.exe downloads the Gator Adware. Get yourself something like Adaware from www.lavasoft.de.

If thats too much trouble just delete it manually from C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\FSG_TMP\

jimcarney

Thanks for the replys guys,MrD Task manager gives a warning if I delete a running process my computer could become unstable.
Griffbo I already have Adware pro 6 & it does not pick it up,also tried to runC:\WINDOWS\TEMP\FSG_TMP\Windows cannot find it,
found Gator adware in regitry and deleted it,but its still running in Task Manager processes .Jim

K

Kramer

Originally posted by jimcarney
Task manager gives a warning if I delete a running process my computer could become unstable
Ignore that in this case & stop that process. Then delete it.

:smoke:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom