1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unwanted Background Image HELP!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dave4458, Dec 29, 2003.

1. dave4458

dave4458

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have recently Installed Panasonic SCHT900 system and have noticed when watching DVD's that there is an unwanted background TV image continuously moving across the screen right to left. My TV's also Panasonic (TX28DT2) and I have to press the TV/AV button on the TV remote to watch a DVD. The background image is always the TV station i have been watching prior to switching to DVD. The wiring at the back of the equipment is the usual Rat's nest, will this have an effect? It's driving me F*****g mental what can i do? has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks Dave

2. gary_580

gary_580

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the scart leads are plugged in tight. I've had the same problem in the past with sounds from the terestrial channel. In the end i pulled all the leads and set it up from scratch again and it was fine.

Ive got an SAHT900 but with a different pany TV and dont get the background image

3. remms

remms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found just leaving the TV on a vacant channel worked with a similar problem. but the tv always outputs from its tuner which may feed back from the scart cable. try using a non-fully wired cable. or change the DVD output to RGB or S-video if not already as this may change it.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,036
    remms has it right. The issue is that the signal from the TV tuner is always being output to the output pins on the SCART. And this is 'crosstalking' with your input signal from the DVD. Most probably inside the SCART cable. Selecting the 'AV' channel on the TV does not (in most cases) disable the tuner, which carries on receiving and outputting whatever it was last tuned to.

Possible solutions:

1) (Best) Obtain or make a SCART cable that only has the connectors for one direction (DVD > TV) present.

2) Buy a better quality SCART cable; one that has each connector strand individually screened.

3) Tune the TV to an empty channel prior to DVD use.

4) Disconnect the TV aerial input prior to DVD use.

5. dave4458

dave4458

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the posts guys. I've considered replacing the scart(s) with better quality (fully sreened, gold pins etc) to see if this works but I'd like to try before i buy, can you do this? The reason i ask is I read an interesting post on the 'Digital spy' forum where a guy had replaced all his scart & audio leads at great expense in the belief that sound & picture quality would be greatly enhanced as a result. Did it make a difference....not at all he said it was aload of B*****s. My problems a bloody nuisance when viewing DVD's but i'm sure it can be sorted.