• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Unusual Stereo AV Setup Help?

adm

Standard Member
OK - I'm not really sure where to post this, but it's to do with my AV setup....

(Mods - if this is in the wrong place, please could you move?)

Anyway, I've got a nice LG LED TV that has 4 HDMI inputs and I've got the following sources:

Sky+ HD Box - HDMI
Playstation 3 - HDMI
Xbox 360 - Component
Wii - SCART

These are all fine plugging directly into the LG TV itself, but I want to use some existing hifi kit I have for the audio side of things as the onboard speakers are less than impressive. I only want Stereo due to the shape of the room and difficulties running cable for surrounds or rear speakers.

The bits i want to use are an Aloia Audio SP13.01 power amp (this is a high end Italian power amp with a separate monster inductive power supply. Nominally 30W per channel - but in reality more like a solid 100W RMS) and a pair of Teledyne Acoustic Research AR9 speakers. These are awesome old speakers from the late '70s with 2 x 12" woofers in each one, they are 5 feet high and weigh 60Kg each....they shift a LOT of air.

Now the problem I have is how to get all the audio sources connected to the amp.... The simplest way would be to just route all the sources directly into the TV and then take the audio output from the TV into the amp - but the problem is, the TV only offers optical audio out, or a headphone jack. The headphone jack has very low output level and a poor sound quality, so that's out. Which leaves the optical output - but the amp doesn't take optical in, and I don't have a suitable pre-amp sitting around to use for this....

The other way I can see doing it is to get an AV receiver, run all the sources into that and then a single HDMI to the TV. Then from the receiver, take a pre-amp output into the Aloia amp....but that's kind of wasteful as it means buying a 7.1 channel all singing, all dancing receiver (with per-out) and not using any of it's capabilities. I could just ditch the Aloia and use just the front speaker amplification from the receiver to run the speakers, but that's also kind of wasteful and the sound the Aloia makes with the AR9s is breathtaking so I want to keep that.

So - does anybody know of a small pre-amp type box that would take the optical audio output from the TV and just convert it to a suitable analog signal to feed the Aloia amp? Or any thoughts on another way to configure this set up?

Many thanks,

Alasdair

Phlog

Established Member
So - does anybody know of a small pre-amp type box that would take the optical audio output from the TV and just convert it to a suitable analogue signal to feed the Aloia amp? Or any thoughts on another way to configure this set up?

You need a DAC - with a digital optical input and analogue output. There are dozens of these at prices from say £50 to £5000+.

What sort of budget have you in mind?

adm

Standard Member
Hmm....probably around a couple of hundred quid or so.

I see Richer Sounds have a little unit for about £40, and I've also spotted the Beresford products.

gareth_alien

Established Member
Another possibility is if one of the scarts do output then a a scart to phono adapter could give you stereo audio output.

Or a cheap amp to act as a pre-amp if you can find one with pre-amp outputs.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom