1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual (?) rear speaker question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Big Adam, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, I think it unusual anyway.

Trying to squeeze a Kef Egg 7.1 setup into a relatively small room (see pic below)

[​IMG]

I'm fine with the fronts & centre and the sub (PSW3000) will be gradually pulled away from the wall to ensure no boominess.

Going to mount the surrounds just above ear level each side of the listening position, however my problem comes with the rears.

They are going to be mounted high on the rear wall (so far, so good) but I don't (or rather the wife doesn't) want the two chairs pulled forward.

So I'm left with 3 choices:
    1) Direct the rears forward
    2) Direct the rears down
    3) Direct the rears up (spread the sound a bit more?)

I'm assuming choice 2) is best but anybody got any opinion on this? I'll be teaming the eggs with a Pioneer 2011 so the MCACC will do all the calibration. I just want to know what will sound the sweetest.

Big A

2. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try placing the sides mid-way between your listening position an the TV.

Then place the rears at the corners of the rooms facing in towards the listening position.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the sides parallel to the your ears at the listening position.

I would aim the rears toward the listening position and slightly out wards, aiming at the side walls.

3. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry m8, but I don't see that working at all. I'm looking for surround sound. Your suggestion would give me no rear presence at all.

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting the rears placed where I have said but directed back towards the surround speakers? Why?

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I am with ShiniObiWan on this one...Yes it will be compromised, but far less compromised that cramming them all in that at the rear.
    Alternatively you might be better off not going for a 7.1 but stay with 5.1 as in that room I doubt you will get any benefit at all. In fact I think you will be worse off when you go down the 7.1 route....

Don't know about the 2011 but an AMP may provide some trickery that could work in your room. First their is the option of having a virtual channel generated, so use a 5.1 setup with the AMP creating the 6th. Alternatively you may change the depth of your home cinema. My TRVA555ES allows me to change that, the effect is that I can bring the whole soundfield forward and backwards....

Just to provide you some more ideas....

5. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that but had a moment of inspiration this morning and reversed the entire setup to allow plenty of room behind the listening position. Showed the plan to the wife and she liked it! :clap:

Will post a piccie this evening (if I'm not in the room setting it up) :D

Cheers, Big A

6. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Here's a picture attached.
    Wife's main concern was pedestrian traffice through the room.
    With this arrangement I can pull the sofa forward and chuck the sub and rears behind for the perfect 7.1 arrangement!

Might end up walking the sub round the room to find the sweetest spot.

Attached Files:

7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since you've re-arranged the layout its kind of a mute point now.

But basically if you had the rears pointing down staight at the listening positon, you would experience the directionality of the rears. By pointing them towards the outer walls you would disperse the sound around the room and still be achieve a surround effect without knowing the exact source.

The other suggestion with the sides between the tv and listening position is used throughout cinemas world wide. Surround doesn't just mean the sound comes from behind you. Its a room filling experience.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be nice if Kef Eggs were available in bipole/dipole/tripole type, as I think you should use one of these types for your sides & rears, being so close to them

9. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ShinObiWAN, apologies if I seemed to be dismissing your opinions. I wasn't. I was simply curious as to how your suggestions would work. On reflection (and with your added explanation) your 'rear dispersion' arrangement sounds like it would probably have been better than any of my options.

I'm aware of the arrangement of speakers in cinemas but tbh, I find the sound experience in cinemas to be far from perfect. The speaker placement must by definition be a compromise to offer half-decent sound to that many people.

I think I've now come up with an arrangement which is as near perfect as I can achieve with the Kef eggs. It'll certainly do until I can convince the missus that we really need floorstanding fronts and a decent centre! :D At that point I'll investigate the option of Nathan's di/bipoles.

Big A