Unusual problem with Panasonic ub400

Eddibhoy

Standard Member
Hi

Not sure if anyone will be able to help, but here goes.

We were watching The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 2 on blu ray last week on Panasonic ub400. About 20 minutes in, the disc skipped, and moved to a scene about 40 minutes further on in the movie. We returned too the scene we had been watching, but it did the same again. Took the disc out to see if there were any scratches on it, but it appeared to be in decent condition, apart from a fingerprint. Cleaned the disc, jumped to the same scene again, and again it skipped about 40 minutes forward in the movie. We gave up at that point and ordered a brand new copy from Amazon, with the intention of replacing the disc in the box set. The new disc arrived and we started watching again, but when we arrived at the scene it skipped in the old disc, the exact same thing happened! Given that it was a brand new disc, we tried it on PS4 and it played perfectly. We have had no issues playing 4k discs, but my wife has said that it's been skipping on some discs when she has been watching.

Has anyone came across anything like this before?

Last edited:

Uphallster

Novice Member
Just been in touch with Panasonic help line with the very same problem with our UB400 and Mockingjay Part 2. Plays the other three disks no bother. Did the same thing and sent box set back to Amazon thinking it was a dodgy disk, but the new disk did same thing. I tried the disk on our old LG player and it played perfectly. I factory reset the player 4 times and reset all settings and made sure latest firmware installed but same fault same place just into chapter 2. Interestingly the disk does not seem to load cleanly with some flashes on screen and the 'reading disk' message appearing more than it should. The help line suggested it might be the way that particular disk is encoded, and have said I should take it to their Glasgow repair centre. I think a Blu-ray player costing that much should have no trouble playing all Blu-ray disks.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Panasonic players have problems playing this disc. It's been ongoing for years.
My UB700 won't load it and others have reported the same problem with the UB900.
I gave up with mine and played it on my Sony X700 without any problems. Just tried it on my newer gen UB820 and it now loads and plays.

Eddibhoy

Standard Member
Panasonic players have problems playing this disc. It's been ongoing for years.
My UB700 won't load it and others have reported the same problem with the UB900.
I gave up with mine and played it on my Sony X700 without any problems. Just tried it on my newer gen UB820 and it now loads and plays.
Any idea why this particular disc causes problems? I've had no issues with any other disc on this player.

Eddibhoy

Standard Member
Just been in touch with Panasonic help line with the very same problem with our UB400 and Mockingjay Part 2. Plays the other three disks no bother. Did the same thing and sent box set back to Amazon thinking it was a dodgy disk, but the new disk did same thing. I tried the disk on our old LG player and it played perfectly. I factory reset the player 4 times and reset all settings and made sure latest firmware installed but same fault same place just into chapter 2. Interestingly the disk does not seem to load cleanly with some flashes on screen and the 'reading disk' message appearing more than it should. The help line suggested it might be the way that particular disk is encoded, and have said I should take it to their Glasgow repair centre. I think a Blu-ray player costing that much should have no trouble playing all Blu-ray disks.
Have you taken it to the repair centre?

Uphallster

Novice Member
No, the repair center emailed me a link to the Panasonic global site where you can download firmware updates that are not always available for the automatic update yet. But unfortunately mine is already on the latest firmware version 1.80 The repair center did ask for detailed photos of the disk set so they can feed back to Panasonic, so that's as far as it goes for the moment.

iangreasby

I've just had exactly the same problem. It skipped forward as described above on my UB820 (only 3 months old) and did the same on my UB300. Reading this thread has saved me the bother of going back to Amazon and asking for a replacement. Is anyone aware of any other discs that will cause this problem, so I can avoid buying them? @Uphallster @Eddibhoy @doug56hl

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
I've just had exactly the same problem. It skipped forward as described above on my UB820 (only 3 months old) and did the same on my UB300. Reading this thread has saved me the bother of going back to Amazon and asking for a replacement. Is anyone aware of any other discs that will cause this problem, so I can avoid buying them? @Uphallster @Eddibhoy @doug56hl
That is the only disc I am aware of that has this type of problem. I've played over 310 different UHDS now and this was the only one.

iangreasby

That is the only disc I am aware of that has this type of problem. I've played over 310 different UHDS now and this was the only one.
Thanks for the quick reply. I couldn't believe I would even find a thread for this issue, good to know it's (probably) the only one. I ended up renting the 4K version off i-tunes (my disc is only HD bluray) so I could watch it. I spent the entire movie wondering how the tunnel scene fitted in, eventually working out that the bluray had not missed a bit out, it had skipped forward nearly an hour, before reverting back again! I take it I would have the same problem if I bought the 4K version? Must admit I was very surprised by how much better the i-tunes 4K version looked, probably one of those films that really benefits from HDR.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I couldn't believe I would even find a thread for this issue, good to know it's (probably) the only one. I ended up renting the 4K version off i-tunes (my disc is only HD bluray) so I could watch it. I spent the entire movie wondering how the tunnel scene fitted in, eventually working out that the bluray had not missed a bit out, it had skipped forward nearly an hour, before reverting back again! I take it I would have the same problem if I bought the 4K version? Must admit I was very surprised by how much better the i-tunes 4K version looked, probably one of those films that really benefits from HDR.
I've just checked my UHD of MJ Pt 2 on a UB820 and it seems fine. I chapter skipped to around 17 mins then played and fast forward up to around 45 mins in with the time codes showing and it didn't skip forward.

Last edited:

Eddibhoy

Standard Member
This is the only disc that I've had this problem with. Never had it with any blu-ray disc or 4k blu-ray discs.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I have had similar problems with a UB700.

rushy7

ive got same problem with ub400 and now ub420 on transformers revenge of the fallen the forest battle scene only 4k bluray i`ve had a problem with

iangreasby

Thanks for the above replies guys. I've probably played over 100 disks, both bluray and 4K, on my UB820 and this is the first one I've had a problem with. I will definitely avoid Transformers Revenge of the Fallen thanks to @rushy7 . Maybe a future update will fix the issue.

razy60

You could try putting a blank USB drive into the player, I only say this as I have had similar problems in the past not with this player yet but with other players and the work around was usb storage! For some bizzare reason it thinks it needs it. 🤯

rushy7

You could try putting a blank USB drive into the player, I only say this as I have had similar problems in the past not with this player yet but with other players and the work around was usb storage! For some bizzare reason it thinks it needs it. 🤯
Thanks for the advise,ive just tried it and it seems to work!!! watched the whole scene no problem,thanks for the advise

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I've just put a SD card in, will give it a try later.