Unusual issue with eARC extractor with Sony A80J and Denon AVR-X2200W

techdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Sony A80J and a Denon AVR-X2200W. We recently got a PS5 so in order to benefit from 120Hz mode I need to plug the PS5 directly into the TV. This means audio t the receiver needs to go over ARC. I would loose any lossless audio and also have experienced server audio lag in some games.

I decided to purchase and eARC audio extractor from amazon here - Amazon product ASIN B08TX473Z8
Now I received it yesterday and everything was working perfectly. I attached the eARC port from my TV to the OUT1/eARC port on the extractor and then ran from OUT2 to an input (not ARC port) on my receiver.

This all worked fine until I plugged my cable from MONITOR1 port of the receiver back into the TV. Then the TV kept disconnecting from eARC and would only work if I toggled eARC mode off. Funnily enough sometimes it would work but after a power cycle it wouldn't. Once I plug out the MONITOR1 cable from the TV everything works fine again.

Now MONITOR1 is also the ARC port on the receiver. So I was thinking that because it is the ARC port on the receiver it is still trying to negotiate ARC with the TV even though it's not attached to the TV eARC/ARC port. So I went into the Denon setup and disabled ARC all together. This didn't fix the issue. The only way the Sony A80J will send eARC out through the device is if I don't have MONITOR1 attached to the TV. Using MONITOR2 is no issue.

This is clearly a bug, but I'm not sure which end is at fault. It appears to be some sort of feedback handshake loop.

The reason I use both outputs on the receiver is to have different picture presents based on devices being used. As a workaround I have temporarily attached my Nvidia Shield directly to the TV and can at least use the eARC extractor to pass the lossless audio back to the receiver, but this is not ideal for various cabling management issues.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this using an eARC extractor?

The only idea that comes to mind is get a HDMI-CEC less adapter on amazon and put that on that AVR monitor 1 output, that will physically disable the CEC pins preventing the TV from sensing what's on it or passing any data (in theory) and might get it working.

Alternatively consider the fact the PS5 has only a handful of 120hz games, is it really worth it ?, you could go back to the PS5 to AVR with 4K 60hz output and 60fps modes in games which are more common to PS5 and remove the extractor.

The only idea that comes to mind is get a HDMI-CEC less adapter on amazon and put that on that AVR monitor 1 output, that will physically disable the CEC pins preventing the TV from sensing what's on it or passing any data (in theory) and might get it working.

Alternatively consider the fact the PS5 has only a handful of 120hz games, is it really worth it ?, you could go back to the PS5 to AVR with 4K 60hz output and 60fps modes in games which are more common to PS5 and remove the extractor.
Good idea on the adapter.

I'm playing quite a few of the 120hz games so don't really want to step back. Also as time goes on usage of it will inevitably increase.

So I went ahead and doctored the hdmi cable in question to disable the CEC pin and it seems to have sorted the issue.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom