'Unusual' Hotels in the UK

stevegreen

Lorna is coming of age at the start of December and I want to take her away for a night or two, but it needs to be somewhere 'unusual' like a lighthouse, castle or something.

Anybody got any recommendations?

StephenH

Standard Member
The most unusual place I ever stayed was here:

http://www.thehighwaymaninn.net/

Really friendly landlady, great food, would certainly go back.
However, it is only an inn so not much to do there unless you just want to use it as a base for exploring Devon/Cornwall.

unique

http://www.nts.org.uk/web/site/home/holidays/accommodation/Holidays_home.asp?NavId=2224&NavPage=43

national trust for scotland has lighthouses, castles and stuff like that. the english NT might also do the same thing, check them out also

a lighthouse on the mull of kintyre sounds interesting or fyvie castle in aberdeenshire, the pink castle that jordan was thinking about getting married in

i also heard about some guy making an ice hotel somewhere in the uk, you would need to google that up, personally it sounds a bit too cold though

JonMace

unique said:
i also heard about some guy making an ice hotel somewhere in the uk, you would need to google that up, personally it sounds a bit too cold though
But Good fun trying to stay warm :devil: :devil: :devil:

Nick_UK

Banned
The most unusual hotel I ever stayed in was the John O' Groats House Hotel in Scotland. Very unusual. Unfortunately it is currently closed for renovation, but hopefully it will re-open in the near future.

Another unusual hotel is the Aldermaston Manor in Berkshire. When the Aldermaston nuclear research facility was there, it was the company HQ, but these days it's just a charming (1849) building in lovely grounds of 137 acres, just a short distance from the M4, 9 miles from Newbury.

Monty Burns

Surely the choclate room at Alton Towers would be the place to be?

Comon .... chick n choclate? Can't loose if you ask me! :D

kraiklyn

I recently stayed at www.camelotcastle.com 2 weeks ago, it was very unusal and was situated on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Atlantic and the ruins of Tintagel castle. Camelot Castle hotel is situated in the lovely town of Tintagel which is full of Authurain legends. A really great place with loads to see and explore locally, not to mention loads more if you drive out a little.

kraiklyn

Their website is the hardest to navigate that I have ever been to!

Ian J

Banned
kraiklyn said:
Their website is the hardest to navigate that I have ever been to!
I'm surprised that anyone bothers as it's much easier to just give up and go onto the next hotel. There must be an opening there for a good web designer although even a bad web designer could do better than that.

My own contribution was the Steam Packet Inn in Totnes which was where we spent our night when we moved to Devon in the early nineties.

rectorydp

Standard Member
How about Portmeirion Village http://www.portmeirion-village.com/en/index.php? You can stay in the Hotel (not so unusual) or one of the village houses. Of course it will be much more interesting if you are a fan of The Prisoner!

And I just remembered this Castle hotel that I stayed at many years ago: Langley Castle. It was good at the time and still seems to be well-rated. It is quite small for a Castle but that may be an advantage.

BR
David

martimu

Try this website it is one we use when looking to do events for clients.

www.venuedirectory.com

You can search by unusal criteria including ....Unusual!

Martin

unique

GingerMagic said:
I second the witchery, Edinburgh. Never stayed there, but it's definitely on my list of places to visit.

http://www.thewitchery.com/accom.html
never been to the witchery myself, even though i live in edinburgh, but it is supposed to be pretty damn good, and its just a stones throw from edinburgh castle. main reason i haven't been is that it's not cheap, especially not to stay. it is supposed to have some of the best food in the world though

one day i'll check it out - hopefully with someone else paying :D

stevegreen

Thanks for all the replies :smashin:

Had a look through all of the options and decided to go for what was available at The Witchery. Just the one night, but we have booked a table in the restaurant too, then it will be off to a B&B for the next night :laugh:

Don't tell anyone, but we are planning to get married on the 9th December :smashin: :clap:

stevegreen

No mate, in Telford, Wellington Registry Office to be precise.

Been talking about getting married, and 'how' to do it for a while. What with Churches, Religion (in my case), Registry Offices, Receptions, Who to invite, Who not to invite, How much is it going to cost, blah, blah, blah, blah........the list is endless, we got fed up of planning.

Lorna is 40 on the 11th, we are having a party for that at the house on the 10th, so we thought 'Why not just do it all in one weekend?' We decided to go for the wedding on the 9th after checking dates with the Registy Office, then I was showing Lorna The Witchery, linked earlier, so decided just to go for it, all in one week! :D

Can't stand messing about with these things, i've got a cinema room to get on with :laugh:

unique

stevegreen said:
No mate, in Telford, Wellington Registry Office to be precise.

Been talking about getting married, and 'how' to do it for a while. What with Churches, Religion (in my case), Registry Offices, Receptions, Who to invite, Who not to invite, How much is it going to cost, blah, blah, blah, blah........the list is endless, we got fed up of planning.

Lorna is 40 on the 11th, we are having a party for that at the house on the 10th, so we thought 'Why not just do it all in one weekend?' We decided to go for the wedding on the 9th after checking dates with the Registy Office, then I was showing Lorna The Witchery, linked earlier, so decided just to go for it, all in one week! :D

Can't stand messing about with these things, i've got a cinema room to get on with :laugh:
congrats. i don't think you can go wrong with the witchery from what i've heard. apparently the rooms are amazing. just a bit pricey, but apparently worth it. i'm sure you'll both be impressed. plenty of good sightseeing and shopping in edinburgh also (jenners, harvey nicks), and a million bnb's and places to stay