Unusual Bose Question!

florida747

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the AM15 with 6.1, my neighbour loves the sound but does not like the size of the sub!
He then asked the question, instead of running speaker cables to bose sub first, could you wire the cubes direct to amp and then use a Rel Quake?
So has anybody experimented with them in this way or simillar?

:lease:

No you can't. Bose make it so you're stuck with it. I would suggest you don't recommend your system.

Mod comment:

Recommendation against a Bose system noted

The AM15's are designed to be used with ANY manufacturers AV amplifier. The satellites are designed to work with the Bose sub for a reason, just as many other manufacturers packages are. If the satellites were made available seperately to be used with any sub, there'd be a lot of idiots not following instructions and blowing drive units because of incorrectly setting them up.

To simply answer your question Florida747, it is possible to use just the sats by wiring them up directly to the AV amp allowing another sub to be used, but i personally wouldn't recommend it.

There are different categories of customers. There are those that dabble at the budget/mid-priced end of hi-fi and AV, the enthusiasts who don't care what things look like, and then there are those that don't want the electronics in their living room to encroach on their everyday life. The Bose is one solution to this, and has the simplest multi room upgrade path even a monkey could do it.

Bose match their speakers and mid / sub module carefully, the mid / sub unit handles much more of the audio frequency range than subs from other manufacturers are intended to do, and it is this unit that 'decides' which frequencies are sent to the speakers rather than the AV amp crossovers. Consequently, Bose use much smaller satellites.

If these were used in the conventional way, whilst this is possible the sound would be lacking a huge chunk of mid range frequencies as the satellites would just not be able to handle the extra mids the AV amp will be throwing at them.

Personally, whilst the Bose cubes are attractive, the mid / sub unit is pretty ugly in the way of a cheap PC case. Due to this I went for the seperates route with MA Radius 45's at the rear and an R360 sub, the whole system is pretty much invisible where it matters and sounds fantastic. Ignoring paper statistics, it is surprising just how good the Radius speakers can sound with full range signals.

So, in short; yes you can, no you shouldn't, and if you need an alternative - MA, Kef etc!

the BOSE bass module is not a SUB woofer but a woofer, the problem with using cubes direct to an AV amp is that they cant handle the lower frequencies that will be sent with the signal from a standard AV amp (in a bose system the woofer unit filters the lower frequencies) the big issue is that bose sat only work down to about 240Hz and subwoofers only go up to 120Hz effectively so you miss a big chunk of the audio spectrum. There are better solutions available AM15 are not a bose lifstyle system but a speaker system designed to be driven by an AV amp but the bass module is a critical part of the system.

What's the point of a forum if no one is allowed to bad mouth or indeed praise products?

What's the point of a forum if no one is allowed to bad mouth or indeed praise products?

Because what you are doing is trolling someones thread which was asking a question you have failed to even consider answering. Many people do not like Bose, but many others are happy with it, that's life. If you like it then fine, if not, fine, but don't force your opinions on people.

No more off topic posts or points will be handed out and that signature does you no favours - now edited.

Thread now re-opened after a lot of editing, can we now stay on topic...

Any complaints on a postcard to me please...

Thanks,

dave

I have the AM15 with 6.1, my neighbour loves the sound but does not like the size of the sub!
He then asked the question, instead of running speaker cables to bose sub first, could you wire the cubes direct to amp and then use a Rel Quake?
So has anybody experimented with them in this way or simillar?

:lease:
With the Bose satellites only responding down to 240Hz, I'm pretty sure you won't find a receiver that will offer a crossover that high. The arguements as to whether it's possible, or not, are a bit moot therefore. You simply don't want a 40Hz hole (my Denon does a 200Hz crossover) in your reproduction. Bose do what they do for a reason. You're either up for it or not, but I'd recommend against trying to get the best of both worlds.

I have no idea whether your neigbour has sampled an alternative sub/sat lifestyle system and therefore whether he would be equally impressed by an alternative. Your first time is always the best after all.:)

But, if he wanted an idea of a system with speakers the same size (give or take a few mm, but only a few) but capable of being mated safely with a smaller sub in the traditional fashion, then I'd suggest looking no further than the Cantons in this forums powerbuys. A system based on 5 CD10 satellites at £94 each would leave plenty of choice for a small sub of his choice within the £1000 odd that the Acoustimass 15 system cost.

Russell

Mod Comment:

Any complaints on a postcard to me BadBob...

As requested.

You simply don't want a 40Hz hole (my Denon does a 200Hz crossover) in your reproduction. Bose do what they do for a reason.
the hole is bigger as not many subs can go as high as 200Hz

But, if he wanted an idea of a system with speakers the same size (give or take a few mm, but only a few) but capable of being mated safely with a smaller sub in the traditional fashion, then I'd suggest looking no further than the Cantons in this forums powerbuys. A system based on 5 CD10 satellites at £94 each would leave plenty of choice for a small sub of his choice within the £1000 odd that the Acoustimass 15 system cost.

Russell

Indeed or the CD201 for less money, better sounds and better looks!!!!

WOW!! have not looked at the pc allday, what a lot has been going on:eek:
As i said i have the am15's and yes i am happy with them, my sub sits out of site so not a problem for me, but i must admit it is big if in view!
I guess we now have an answer to my question:thumbsup: so some of the suggested packages, do we have any links to pictures?

Pathetic. My posts were editted (the bits which were valid ie crossover gaps, sub integration) and my sig.
Looks like Bose are a forum sponser. ah a poster/dealer is a Bose dealer.

There are hints for you to stop, then there are more hints, then there are big hints, and if you read anything on this forum a lot of people aren't impressed with Bose either, but we're not on a personal Crusade about it :(

Florida, sorry about the mess ;) hopefully your thread will continue un-sullied.

Dave

WOW!! have not looked at the pc allday, what a lot has been going on:eek:
As i said i have the am15's and yes i am happy with them, my sub sits out of site so not a problem for me, but i must admit it is big if in view!
I guess we now have an answer to my question:thumbsup: so some of the suggested packages, do we have any links to pictures?
Bose in the speaker forum, small RELs in the sub forum, Sony in any forum - 'twas ever thus. Some products/manufacturers polarize opinion and always have. For god's sake don't say you're going to use Monster Cables to hook this all up.:eek::D

This is the speakers powerbuy thread. Click on the individual model numbers will bring up Cantons web page specific to it.

If he can run to a 13" cubed sub, my money would probably be on one of these, which as some will point out, is very predictable of me.:boring::)

Russell

Florida, do you grin when you watch your favourite movie loud? if you do then thats all that matters. Here's a link to Monitor Audio, (i think people will always be biased towards whatever they use and like):

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/range.php?range=

HI Ian, yes i do grin, recently i help a freind set up his new gear, yamaha 1700 amp and B&W sats with a rel quake.
Now i liked the sub, but could not help but feel dissapointed by the overal sound.
I know it will need some hours to run in, but we had to crank up the rear speakers to get a decent level?
I had been thinking of getting the B&W's with a rel myself! maybe i would like it more with my pioneer amp? mind you im thinking of upgrading that to the new pioneer LX70 or onkyo 875.

I would stick with what you have mate.

Personally I found it very hard to find a speaker system that made me smile so why spoil it.

I have now done that with the help of Bose :) and thats all that matters.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom