unswitched wall sockets

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by godzilla1, Sep 7, 2007.

1. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    I read ages ago an article from the guy that owned Rega (i think it was him) that said, for all the expensive kit and cables you have the power still has to go through a 2p switch. His view was it`s probably the best value money upgrade anyone could ever make.

3. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    WoW I thought I was paying enough in B&Q, and I'm sure it was less than a fiver.

Not swapped it over yet though...

4. rssteve

rssteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    will make no difference what so ever unless your old socket had a faulty switch and was arching out in which cause you would notice. The imperfections in ac eletcric is very bad you notice it by lights flickering, dimming etc. Save your time and money. I,d rather spend my money on a mains filter.

5. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon i will swap the socket over anyway. Its a few quid and some DIY time. I have no idea about wether or not it will do anything positive, but replacing an old, potentially worn, socket for a new one makes sense to me. Also, and according to this article,

http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesarticles2004/articles20040102-02.html

6. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Any news ?

:( / :smashin: ?

7. Steve1951

Steve1951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi

I agree with RSSTEVE.

Mk are a quality product and you will do no harm in replacing your old socket.

However i dont really understand what you are trying to achieve......what is the problem exactly?

A mains filter and a spike /surge filter together with a UPS are all great things but so is a top of the range BMW but you dont actually NEED one.

I have all sorts of protection on the IT at work but pretty minimal at home.

So what is it you are looking to do /achieve?

Steve

8. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently bought a rotel ra 04 amp. When i got the amp i plugged everything together to make sure everything worked. I used a battery powered ipod for the source and some grado sr 80's and goldring dr150 headphones to listen with. There was, what i would describe, as 'hum' coming through the amp to the phones. Nothing drastic but it was there. I then moved the amp to another wall socket. The 'hum' was significantly greater than before. There was more hum coming through the amp. To me, it makes sense to replace the wall socket, on the off chance that the socket is worn / defective. Also I have purchased a tacima mains filter / conditioner and (to me at least) it makes sense to ensure that the power socket supplying the filter is in good working order. As i said previously, its a few quid and some DIY time.

I also came accross an internet article called 'hidden wires'. The author states that:

The electrical system is my flat is shockingly bad (no pun intended). If the new socket is still noisy, then i will know to look elsewhere. Equally, the tacima mains filter cost, IIRC, £25. An unwitched socket will cost, say, £5. £30 for surge protection and a 'fresh' wall socket must be a good thing.

9. Steve1951

Steve1951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Again

You are dead right you can only do good by replacing the socket.
    Quality HI FI will often show things up that cheaper ones dont.
    Going by what you say about your house wiring and me being an electrician.........I would be looking first of all at the quality of your earthing.
    Also to use a non technical approach have you tried taking you entire kit round to a friends place and see if it hums there?
    Not exactly a high tec approach but easy to do.

Steve

10. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi steve and thanks.

The internal wiring seems to be ok. The fuse box etc is located outside of the house under an enclosed stairway. I have -major- issues with the damp proofing where the fuse box is held. It is scary bad. To give you an idea of how bad the humidity is, i recently put a brand new push bike under the stairs, right next to the fuse box. The bike could now be considered a write off- the bearings have seized, the brakes dont work, mould everywhere etc. All because the humidity has seized / corroded all of the bikes components. The circuit breakers trip quite often as well. Thank god they still trip though. You should see the MDF 'water protector' that shields the fuse box from water running down the wall...

I've contacted the landlord and they too are fairly concerned about the electrics. There is talk of placing the fuse box inside my flat. Hopefully this will happen, as the electrician will be able to sort the ground out during the process. An electrician came around to replace a blown mcb / cicuit breaker and i asked if the electrics where safe. His opinion was yes. Still, i will sleep better when it is sorted out.

11. jmsjabb

jmsjabb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Steve,
    If I have a PME system, can I still put an earth rod in and earth my system components?

12. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,401
    I'm not sure that's a good idea. I thought earth rods were for TT only.

PME is also known as TN-C-S.

You may end up with two slightly different earths and could have a potential between them. I'd take all earths back to the same place.

13. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if that was for me, but heres a brief update and another question. I bought the mk double gang unswitched socket from B&Q. Iirc, the price was about £4. Fitment was a 5 minute doddle. The only observable difference with the MK was that the ground wires where parted out into two terminals i.e they go into two terminals and not one- like the old switched socket. Im not sure if that now means that each socket has one ground wire only?

If thats the case, I might consider a twin to single converter i.e two plugs plugged into the MK double gang socket which then terminates in a single outlet socket- which the tacima mains filter will connect to. I've been scouring RS and maplin looking for such a device but cant find one. If anyone knows where to get one, please let me know!

14. Steve1951

Steve1951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    First dont use a seperate earth stake (not rod) but I am being picky.they are for outside use to a shed or garage and you the n isolate the house earth.

I am trying to keep it simple.

Second
    You get a second earth terminal on MK stuff because its quality.....not because its one for each outlet.In view of your problem I would earth the back box too if you havent already.

Please dont use adaptors they are (not very good).

Steve

15. polajoo

polajoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK it's actually because the regs changed recently, and now all outlets require a double earth terminal.

These two earths go back to the same earthing point, but it's in case one earth breaks on a ring main, you've still got another complete earth to take the juice if it needs to.

I know this as I used to work in a school and it had to be re-wired to comply with new regs, and the work that was required was
    1. change all sockets for ones with double earth
    2. run a second earthing wire
    and it cost thousands...

I'm not an electrician, so sorry if I'm incorrect :)

16. Steve1951

Steve1951

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Polajoo
    When I post I try and keep things simple...I am aware of the reg you are talking about.

What I meant by simply saying "MK are quality thats why you have the extra terminal "was that with MK you can be assured they will be up to and exceeding the requirements of theIEE regs.Mk have been providing the additional terminal for some time.

There are still many new single earth terminal double sockets in the shops.

The regs for schools etc are not the same as domestic,also I doubt this reg could be imposed retrospectively and your school forced to carry out this as remedial,or every school in the land would be doing it

I would suggest there is more to it ....ie being rewired anyway maybe?Failed an inspection?IT problems?

Regards

Steve