Unsure of TV choice - 60-65"

Hi all,

I've just moved into a new flat and I'm in the market for a new TV as I've been using a kind of beat up 32" Phillips for the past 11 years and it's far too small to use in my current living space.

From what I've seen in person 60-65 inches seems like the right size for the distance (roughly 3m) and I have so far boiled it down to three models all in the £700-750 range (all from Richer sounds due to the 6 year warranty and finance options).

LG 65SM8050PLC

Samsung UE65TU7100

Sony KD65XG7003BU

If I'm totally honest this will be the first TV I actually buy myself as my current unit is a relic from my teenage years and was bought by my folks. There's a lot of jargon out there and I can't really tell the difference between these three models aside from slight aesthetic differences and obviously the brand.

Any chance I could have any thoughts on the above models or even any alternative suggestions?

Q&As

- I have fibre internet.
- I'll primarily be using a PS4 (more than likely a PS5 within a couple of years) to interact with the TV.
- Netflix & Prime Video are likely to be my main sources of non-gaming content.
- I won't frequently be using it with a computer however I do have a MacBook Pro so if it's easy to Mirror the screens I could use it occasionally.
- I don't watch any forms of live TV or sport at home.

- Currently 100% of my usage due to the PS4 (not a PS4 Pro) is going to be HD.
- 30% Movies, 30% TV, 40% Gaming.
- I'd be a touch shy of 3m from the Screen, and I sit pretty much straight on (within say 30 degrees easily)
- My day to night time viewing probably averages out fairly similar, perhaps more at night time but not by a huge stretch. That being said my living room is fairly bright and I tend not to black out the room.
- I think based on my current TV spec most newer TVs blow my mind when I'm in a store so my expectations aren't sky high, I'd just like a TV that will last me well.

- I do like fairly high levels of colour saturation in the picture and dark as possible blacks would be ideal, I lean towards films with pretty bold and 'out-there' colour palettes.
- I really don't mind changing settings, when it comes to most other tech I'm pretty savvy and I'm keen on photography so I have a fair understanding of the terminology in picture settings menus.

- I wouldn't say I have any particular pet hates, I'd probably say screen artefacts and stuttering would be fairly annoying. I guess colour banding would also be an issue based on my typical watch list.

Important Stuff

- Price is reasonably important as I am on a budget and looking to get one on a finance deal, I think at a push I could go to £850-900 max but for that I'd really need to rely on the built in sound from the TV rather than external accessories.
- I don't really care about Smart TV, I always have a console plugged in that I access most Apps through, I'm likely to use that unless Netflix & Amazon Prime run particularly smoother via the TV interface.
- Sound is important to me, so as I said above I'd either be looking at an external soundbar or a TV that had good enough built in sound that I could go till the January sales without needing to buy speakers.

Open to any suggestions or thoughts, thanks!

Jack.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I've just moved into a new flat and I'm in the market for a new TV as I've been using a kind of beat up 32" Phillips for the past 11 years and it's far too small to use in my current living space.

From what I've seen in person 60-65 inches seems like the right size for the distance (roughly 3m) and I have so far boiled it down to three models all in the £700-750 range (all from Richer sounds due to the 6 year warranty and finance options).

LG 65SM8050PLC

Samsung UE65TU7100

Sony KD65XG7003BU

If I'm totally honest this will be the first TV I actually buy myself as my current unit is a relic from my teenage years and was bought by my folks. There's a lot of jargon out there and I can't really tell the difference between these three models aside from slight aesthetic differences and obviously the brand.

Any chance I could have any thoughts on the above models or even any alternative suggestions?

Q&As

- I have fibre internet.
- I'll primarily be using a PS4 (more than likely a PS5 within a couple of years) to interact with the TV.
- Netflix & Prime Video are likely to be my main sources of non-gaming content.
- I won't frequently be using it with a computer however I do have a MacBook Pro so if it's easy to Mirror the screens I could use it occasionally.
- I don't watch any forms of live TV or sport at home.

- Currently 100% of my usage due to the PS4 (not a PS4 Pro) is going to be HD.
- 30% Movies, 30% TV, 40% Gaming.
- I'd be a touch shy of 3m from the Screen, and I sit pretty much straight on (within say 30 degrees easily)
- My day to night time viewing probably averages out fairly similar, perhaps more at night time but not by a huge stretch. That being said my living room is fairly bright and I tend not to black out the room.
- I think based on my current TV spec most newer TVs blow my mind when I'm in a store so my expectations aren't sky high, I'd just like a TV that will last me well.

- I do like fairly high levels of colour saturation in the picture and dark as possible blacks would be ideal, I lean towards films with pretty bold and 'out-there' colour palettes.
- I really don't mind changing settings, when it comes to most other tech I'm pretty savvy and I'm keen on photography so I have a fair understanding of the terminology in picture settings menus.

- I wouldn't say I have any particular pet hates, I'd probably say screen artefacts and stuttering would be fairly annoying. I guess colour banding would also be an issue based on my typical watch list.

Important Stuff

- Price is reasonably important as I am on a budget and looking to get one on a finance deal, I think at a push I could go to £850-900 max but for that I'd really need to rely on the built in sound from the TV rather than external accessories.
- I don't really care about Smart TV, I always have a console plugged in that I access most Apps through, I'm likely to use that unless Netflix & Amazon Prime run particularly smoother via the TV interface.
- Sound is important to me, so as I said above I'd either be looking at an external soundbar or a TV that had good enough built in sound that I could go till the January sales without needing to buy speakers.

Open to any suggestions or thoughts, thanks!

Jack.

Seriously add an extra £99 to your budget and go for the XF9005. It's hands down far better than the three you've got in your list this is an investment for the next few years and it sounds like you'll use it a lot so go for it.

It's not future proof in terms of eArc or HDMI 2.1 but neither are the others, but Android 8.0 is pretty slick and onboard sound is as good as all the others...it's not great though. But you can easily pick up a great 300W soundbar second hand or even new in the black Friday sales etc.

pastrybloke19

You could look at various options and spend ages researching, but given the budget/size/use, Hard to go wrong with the XF9005: it’s what I would go for.

I am certain the sound will be relatively pants, So I would just budget/plan to get a sound bar in the future as @LCDseeker says.

do be careful though, it will sell out so don’t hang around too long: maybe check local stock to get an idea.

and get it from someone good like Richer Sounds: well worth the warranty.

Cheers

Dodgexander

Good advice given above, you can get a TV that is a lot, lot better in the Sony XF9005.

It might be an idea first to read my guide here though: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition in case it helps you in your search.

The beginning post has some steps to take when shopping for a TV and before picking out specific models.

But the long and short of it is, if you want any kind of future proofing and to use the TV with HDR, you'd need at least the Sony XF9005.

Appreciate the advice all, ended up taking it and going for the Sony XF9005.

First experience of ordering anything from Richer Sounds and I thought the customer service was top notch, looking forward to it arriving!

Cheers,
Jack

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom