Unsure of aerial type - can anyone recommend?

lightweight

Standard Member
Hi all,
I'm sure this has come up before, but I have searched with no luck.
I am looking to installing a new aerial for freeview and I know we are in a fringe area, Wolfbane has the suggested "Extra high gain" aerial.

Would a Vision V10-040 Log-Periodic be suitable? (to be used with the 4-way mast head amp as here: Indoor or outdoor best aerial
It would be mounted outside, not in the loft, attached to the gable end as per the kit from SatCure.

Post code area of GU15 4DF and looking at Crystal Palace for the transmitter.

Any suggestions would be greatly receieved.

thanks
Andy

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi all,
I'm sure this has come up before, but I have searched with no luck.
I am looking to installing a new aerial for freeview and I know we are in a fringe area, Wolfbane has the suggested "Extra high gain" aerial.

Would a Vision V10-040 Log-Periodic be suitable? (to be used with the 4-way mast head amp as here: Indoor or outdoor best aerial
It would be mounted outside, not in the loft, attached to the gable end as per the kit from SatCure.

Post code area of GU15 4DF and looking at Crystal Palace for the transmitter.

Any suggestions would be greatly receieved.

thanks
Andy

Log periodics great for medium to high signal strength not so good for fringe reception.

Best site I know for aerial info

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials

lightweight

Standard Member
Hi Graham,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Now I need to find out if my area is classified as "poor" or "poorest"
The Yagi18A would be the easier and cheeper install.

Thanks
Andy

adebig

I fitted a Yagi 18B purchased from this company to replace a wideband model some 12 months ago. This made a tremendous difference, my reception went from just the BBC channels to all multiplexes (I have always used a small set-top booster as well ). According to Wolfbane my field strength is 25 dBuV/m compared to yours of 47 dBuv/m so I would imagine a Yagi 18A would be suitable for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightweight

Standard Member
I fitted a Yagi 18B purchased from this company to replace a wideband model some 12 months ago. This made a tremendous difference, my reception went from just the BBC channels to all multiplexes (I have always used a small set-top booster as well ). According to Wolfbane my field strength is 25 dBuV/m compared to yours of 47 dBuv/m so I would imagine a Yagi 18A would be suitable for you.

Perfect, just what I needed to know.
Thanks
Andy

lightweight

Standard Member
Just a quick update..
Talked to ATV yesterday, placed the order (Log40 was their recommendation) and everything arrived today.

Great Service.

Andy

lightweight

Standard Member
well, the best laid plans and all that...
Couldnt find a ladder long enough! After checking the height again and again I have decided to call in the professionals.
They will install the aerial on Thursday, which is relief as it gives me some time to get more coax. I managed to use everything I had with the internal wiring, and that is not complete yet either.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom